"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking Hell, Steve made Bruce write an extra verse for IESF, I guess he also made him repeat the chorus 4 x 4 x 8 times. Funnily enough I thought IESF was the weakest ever Bruce solo song, now I know whom to blame.
Extra verse? Which is it? There is a total of 2 verses (unfortunately)

Does anyone speak polish here? There's an interesting review I want some help translating in good english, not just google translate

I was gonna write a long reply but couldn't be arsed .I'm all for getting music digitally. I get more music from soundcloud and downloads from bandcamp than I do in physical copies these days.

Fact is it is still illegal if you are downloading a leak of an album that is not out yet. Doesn't matter what you compare it too or how you try and excuse yourself :) You know it is essentially wrong to do - if you give a shit about that, is another matter.

Last edited:

Seems it is not polish but german, anyway, this is the piece if you can make any sense out of it

"Krone": Ein bestimmtes Konzept wollt ihr mit "The Book Of Souls" aber nicht erzählen?
Dickinson: Nein, es ist auf keinen Fall ein Konzeptalbum. Nimm nur mal den ersten Song, "If Eternity Should Fail", heran. Der war komplett für ein Soloalbum von mir geschrieben. Ich hatte fünf Demos, die Steve interessierten und zwei Songs davon könnte man sofort für Maiden verwenden und einer davon war eben dieser. Der andere Song war aus den Sessions meines Soloalbums "Accident Of Birth", das 1997 erschien. Er heißt "Nightmares" und wurde nie für das Album aufgenommen. Der Track wurde aber von mir und Roy Z geschrieben, also konnten wir ihn nicht für "The Book Of Souls" verwenden. "If Eternity Should Fail" war aber ganz meine Nummer und es geht darum um eine fremde Maschine, die die Seele der Menschen stiehlt. Der böse Mann in der Geschichte war Dr. Necropolis und der gute Professor Lazarus. Davon handeln die Spoken Words am Ende. Steve wollte den Song jedenfalls für Maiden, ich stimmte zu und er meinte nur, er müsse länger werden. Ist der Song nicht schon lange genug? (lacht) Nun gut, also schrieb ich einen Extra-Vers und außerdem ist es meines Wissens nach der einzige Maiden-Song, den wir in Drop-D aufgenommen haben. Die gesprochenen Wörter am Ende drehen sich um Seelen und das gefiel Steve natürlich. Es hat aber nichts mit dem Rest des Albums zu tun, das gesamte Konzept war ja ein anderes. Ich kannte mich anfangs auch nicht genau aus, aber Steve wollte das unbedingt so.

Sadly I can't - german is not my language. :)
No worries mate! MMM I think I have some scans of old newspapers and magazines about Maiden in polish, when I get home I'll search around and see if I can send them to you so you get a little bit of history

So any German speakers who are kind enough to translate this bit which I know contains spoilers just don't know how to put the *spoilers* alert!

"Krone": Ein bestimmtes Konzept wollt ihr mit "The Book Of Souls" aber nicht erzählen?
Dickinson: Nein, es ist auf keinen Fall ein Konzeptalbum. Nimm nur mal den ersten Song, "If Eternity Should Fail", heran. Der war komplett für ein Soloalbum von mir geschrieben. Ich hatte fünf Demos, die Steve interessierten und zwei Songs davon könnte man sofort für Maiden verwenden und einer davon war eben dieser. Der andere Song war aus den Sessions meines Soloalbums "Accident Of Birth", das 1997 erschien. Er heißt "Nightmares" und wurde nie für das Album aufgenommen. Der Track wurde aber von mir und Roy Z geschrieben, also konnten wir ihn nicht für "The Book Of Souls" verwenden. "If Eternity Should Fail" war aber ganz meine Nummer und es geht darum um eine fremde Maschine, die die Seele der Menschen stiehlt. Der böse Mann in der Geschichte war Dr. Necropolis und der gute Professor Lazarus. Davon handeln die Spoken Words am Ende. Steve wollte den Song jedenfalls für Maiden, ich stimmte zu und er meinte nur, er müsse länger werden. Ist der Song nicht schon lange genug? (lacht) Nun gut, also schrieb ich einen Extra-Vers und außerdem ist es meines Wissens nach der einzige Maiden-Song, den wir in Drop-D aufgenommen haben. Die gesprochenen Wörter am Ende drehen sich um Seelen und das gefiel Steve natürlich. Es hat aber nichts mit dem Rest des Albums zu tun, das gesamte Konzept war ja ein anderes. Ich kannte mich anfangs auch nicht genau aus, aber Steve wollte das unbedingt so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna write a long reply but couldn't be arsed .I'm all for getting music digitally. I get more music from soundcloud and downloads from bandcamp than I do in physical copies these days.

Fact is it is still illegal if you are downloading a leak of an album that is not out yet. Doesn't matter what you compare it too or how you try and excuse yourself :) You know it is essentially wrong to do - if you give a shit about that, is another matter.

Illegal doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. As I said, you're getting stoned in parts of the world for illegal things that aren't wrong to do, like sex outside marriage. Many things are illegal that aren't wrong. As a wise man once said, stupid laws exist to be broken.

BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW

Let's be a little careful with the language, folks. No reason to be rude. I don't think CoS was trying to be rude here, but let's try to avoid calling others "ignorant" and so forth. :cool:

Absolutely wasn't meant to come off as rude. Sorry if that what it seemed like. It is however a bit provoking to tell people they are in the wrong and doing something harmful, when they really aren't.

And as a side note, I bet more people will actually buy the album now at the release, because of the hype from the people that has downloaded it before the release.

Last edited:
Illegal doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong

Like I said, that is a personal moral question. If you have no moral squabbles over downloading a leak - go for it. It is still by law illegal :D

And as a side note, I bet more people will actually buy the album now at the release, because of the hype from the people that has downloaded it before the release.

Actually I think this reasoning just does not hold water anymore. Physical stores close all over the world, people don't go out and buy albums anymore. I think there is an even larger percentage that will just keep the leak on their computer and never buy the new album. Maybe not on this forum because we're all fans here - but think about the rest of the thousands of people that download that leak just to hear it.

According to Amazon and UPS, my LP and CD will be arriving tomorrow before 8PM ... I would guess I should get some better quality digital versions between Amazon and Spotify tomorrow AM to listen to while I wait.

They honored the pricing mistake as well ... $34.59 total for both the LP, Deluxe CD with tax included. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back