The Red And The Black

How good is The Red and the Black on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I accidentally searched YouTube for this song on my phone and accidentally clicked the video....Heard the first minute then I stopped it. Wow, love the bass intro...and is this track heavy or what once it kicks into gear? :eek:

This song is a huge chore for me. It takes forever to get through and feels like a hodgepodge of cool ideas that Steve came up with, but didn't take enough time to really work out the song itself. I keep coming back to it, because I want to like it, but it's just not clicking with me. Honestly it might be my least favorite song on the whole album right now.

In less than 24 hours of listening to nothing but this album, I can safely say this tune will be played more than FTGGOG. The whole second half of them going off in different directions does not bother me. It's just more Maiden fun and I dig it.

Last edited:
This song is a huge chore for me. It takes forever to get through and feels like a hodgepodge of cool ideas that Steve came up with, but didn't take enough time to really work out the song itself. I keep coming back to it, because I want to like it, but it's just not clicking with me. Honestly it might be my least favorite song on the whole album right now.
No prob. There's always one song that's the least. I probably feel the same about it, but it fights for this position with its predecessor and follow-up.

Im not feeling this song. Hopefully it will grow, but the Harris epics on the reunion albums have not been my cup of tea.
The last one I really enjoyed was Sign of the Cross.

This is probably my least favorite track on the album. The whoa-oh-oh part is a little annoying, to be honest. Other than that, great instrumental section. As LooseCannon said, this is one heavy album.

I did not like the whoa-oh-oh at first, it has grown on me a bit, but I really like the rest of the song. I think this is destined to be the "epic" on the tour .. though I would prefer Empire

The whoa-oh-oh part is a little annoying, to be honest.

I think the opposite for live playing, FotD for example i don't like it much in the cd , but live, its an awesome song, my favorite actually, and the whoa oh oh invites the people to chant like in FotD, i think its going to be amazing live.

I think the opposite for live playing, FotD for example i don't like it much in the cd , but live, its an awesome song, my favorite actually, and the whoa oh oh invites the people to chant like in FotD, i think its going to be amazing live.

Agreed!
latest

One of my favorites from the album.
In less than 24 hours of listening to nothing but this album, I can safely say this tune will be played more than FTGGOG. The whole second half of them going off in different directions does not bother me. It's just more Maiden fun and I dig it.
QFT. That's exactly how I feel about it.

TBH, this is probably one of my favorite two or three songs on the album simply because of that reason. For me, it's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to. It pumps me the fuck up.

Agreed. This song is just big Maiden rave-up.
Loose, melodic and fun as hell.
(@Forostar The Dutch, as I've been led to believe, aren't the funnest people :ninja:)

I'm having my 4th listen of TRaTB and two things have caught my attention:
First, the melodies and the chord progressions make me think of the style of Virtual XI and in a lesser extent to the X Factor.

Second, is it me or this song just gives such an aura of optimism? I think it must be the "lightest"-headed song in the album...

I know I already said it and it's in my sig, but I still can't believe that Aces High, my most favorite vocal performance in all of history has been TIED with the opening vocals on this amazing song! I NEVER thought that would happen! WOW!

I just listened again. I reiterate, this song is amaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!!!! Also the intro riff on wtrrd just picks it right back up to 11!!!! \m/ ( >< ) \m/

Back