"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You reckon? I tuink someone might have told us by now if there was going to be a second one. There is a chance we get a single after the release date!
If I recall correctly, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns was released completely out of the blue to stream on IM.com a couple weeks before AMOLAD came out.

So it might not be a "single" per se, but I bet we'll get another taster!

If I recall correctly, Brighter Than A Thousand Suns was released completely out of the blue to stream on IM.com a couple weeks before AMOLAD came out.

Honestly I do not recall that at all. But could be!

But the journalists did not like the album. It was their opinion and they voiced it. I pretty much read bad reviews everywhere. Maybe it was the way that the reviews dealt with the album. Do we have the Kerrang review from back in the day?
I remember there was a journalist talking to the band (or Steve) saying that he liked the album, but then wrote a destroying piece in (I believe) Kerrang. Steve got so angry that he even went to visit the man (in the office) and almost wanted to attack him. Perhaps I am wrong here (the last bit sounds unreal), but this is really what I recall.

I remember there was a journalist talking to the band (or Steve) saying that he liked the album, but then wrote a destroying piece in (I believe) Kerrang. Steve got so angry that he even went to visit the man (in the office) and almost wanted to attack him. Perhaps I am wrong here (the last bit sounds unreal), but this is really what I recall.

No is true I posted about this like 10 pages ago...

Steve went home happy that the journalist wasn't at the office at that time or else "something bad would have happend"...Instead he wrote Virus about it.....

Yeah and this was the Benjamin Breeg video that was released on the website back then:

I don't remember any samples for TFF. Or were they?

Yeah, some German site I believe had 30 second samples up maybe a week prior to release.

Of course, the one GREAT thing this time around is that this is the first new Maiden album to be released on the same day everywhere. Now that all records are released on Friday we no longer have to wait a few days to hear it ourselves, which is nice.

I'd like a second single prior to the album but I don't see what purpose that would have. Release that one in like October to remind folks who haven't bought or checked out the new album to do so.

By releasing ...well NO singles...except for making an agreement with Best Buy I think it is safe to say that Maiden does not care about singles anymore. And the current musical climate would tell that they are right in not wasting energy in that direction..

There were 30 second samples about a week or two ahead of time for TFF.
They were quickly pulled down, but made their way to YouTube. I remember listening to them over and over again.

I think it somewhat ruined my experience though, so if they do show up, I'm going to try my best to stay away this time.

Yeah, that's correct. Was about 3 days to one week after TROBB release.

I see, good to know, this makes more sense. I remember that back in the day I went to this concert. The band were friends with Maiden. I spoke to thm after the gig and they told me Steve was a bit mad at them for not liking the main single (being the only song they heard anyway) from TXF.

I'll post it again. The incident that led to Steve writing Virus about the UK press.....

"Steve is as decent a bloke as you could meet, but even so, there is only so much piss-taking a man can tolerate. Steve's patience snapped one day in the summer of 1995, when he saw a copy of Kerrang! In which Chris Watts, a former K! critic, branded Iron Maiden's 'The X Factor' album a comedy record. Steve showed up at the Kerrang! Office looking for Watts. He was fuming and full of the nervous edginess of a man about to punch someone's lights out. Watts was not be found and Steve eventually cooled off after a pint in Kerrang!'s local. Looking back at the incident, Steve is relieved that it didn't come to blows.

Steve: When I came in I was really wound up. I'd just spent a year of my life working silly hours doing this album - which I still love and I don't give a fuck what anyone says - and some wanker has completely dismissed it in one sentence. I felt like he was having a joke at our expense. Another time I might have laughed at it, but I thought it was out of order. I wanted to see if he'd say it to my face. He could have been built like a brick shithouse and beat me to a pulp, but I had to have a word, it just ain't right. You know me, that ain't my style. I felt bad afterwards. I thought, fuck, I'm glad he wasn't there, cos I probably would have fucking whacked him, or at least got him against a wall or done something stupid, and that gets you nowhere. I'm not a violent person but I was wound up. I'd been through a divorce as well. I was going through hell anyway.

Kerrang!: A bad review won't stop diehard fans buying a new Iron Maiden album.

Steve: Yeah, but I've got to be honest - it still annoys you. Constructive criticism's okay, it's just when it gets personal. You feel like giving them a slap but you can't.
"

There definitely were samples about a week early for TFF. Remember everyone comparing the talisman to the Legacy? And I recall loving and wearing out the coming home sample. I kinda hope they don't surface this time.
In fact no more reviews or samples or lyrics or anything for me till the cd is in the home stereo and the headphones are on.

There were samples from every TFF song about 2 weeks before the release date and on the offcial forum, a member 'leaked' various words from the lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back