"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Virus was the lowest point in Maiden's history. I don't want to say anything mean about it. I just think that it just wasn't good at all apart from the lyrics. I understand it was a difficult period for Steve.

Last edited:
Virus is awesome when the "real" Song kicks off

In fact, if they,'ve put all the b-sides on it, the x-factor would be maidens finest record

I like it...but on the actual Virus single they have a short edited version that is only 4 mins long instead of the 6 mins something that the original is....and to me the edit is much better ...but many fans won't agree :)

I've heard people say that they wish Maiden would star in their recent videos. For them Virus must be the dream Maiden video since it is basically just them...in a room, and that's it.

You can tell how pissed off they are though at the UK press...Even Dave looks mean ;)..They wouldn't do this type of aggressive video today.

I don't know, drum machine like drums never did it for me. But I know quite a lot like it. I think that Maiden lost their way by releasing such a song and actually were happy with it. Oh,well...

I've heard people say that they wish Maiden would star in their recent videos. For them Virus must be the dream Maiden video since it is basically just them...in a room, and that's it.
Actually, it was shot in Steve's empty swimming-pool (yes, the same as the setting for Janick's solo in the "Holy Smoke" video:nana:). As Gk1 said before, it is -in my opinion too- the lowest point in IM's career, apart from the fact it was released on their best compilation to date (Best of the Beast).

Last edited:
Well, I think it's great in a way that Steve just HAD to retaliate to the X-Factor criticism and his run in with the Kerrang journalists....Virus was his response to the people that gave Maiden flak during The X-Factor. I can respect that.

best compilation to date (Best of the Beast).

Agree! I got the limited edition Beast of The Beast CD with the hardcover book that year for Christmas by my parents, 1996 :lol::lol:

Well, I think it's great in a way that Steve just HAD to retaliate to the X-Factor criticism and his run in with the Kerrang journalists....Virus was his response to the people that gave Maiden flak during The X-Factor. I can respect that.

But the journalists did not like the album. It was their opinion and they voiced it. I pretty much read bad reviews everywhere. Maybe it was the way that the reviews dealt with the album. Do we have the Kerrang review from back in the day?

I posted the interview with Steve about it like 10 pages back....

And the video interview I posted in the other thread confirms that he wrote Virus in a response to those people

Gloating or sneering at life's disarray
Eating away at your own self esteem,
Pouncing on every word that you might be saying...

And every time you think you're safe
And when you go to turn away
You know they're sharpening all their paper knives

Less than 2 weeks to go now. Like the calm before the storm. Surely samples and more reviews will surface the closer to we to release. I know I'm going to try and resist temptation to do anything other than read about the songs - to try and go in as fresh as possible. Can't wait.

Oh, adding to discussion here, I always liked Virus. Even though the lyrics are scathing it's a lot more 'fun' than anything on The X Factor.

Like Steve said in the interview I posted a while back he wanted to punch the guys head in. What's the best solution if you are an artist? You write a song about.......Enter: Virus

I posted the interview with Steve about it like 10 pages back....

And the video interview I posted in the other thread confirms that he wrote Virus in a response to those people

Gloating or sneering at life's disarray
Eating away at your own self esteem,
Pouncing on every word that you might be saying...

And every time you think you're safe
And when you go to turn away
You know they're sharpening all their paper knives

yes, I remember this post of yours. I just don't remember whether we got the actual review as well.

I know about this review

https://www.teamrock.com/features/2014-10-03/the-day-i-heard-the-x-factor

might have been posted here as well. I do my own search and then I also read things here....so I am a bit confused on the source of the info:facepalm:.

However by reading the article I remember feeling the exact same way.

Last edited:
Ok, so I didn't win the Bruce air/Paris studio competition, which is maddening considering the (sub par) motivation given by the winner. I will now give you mine:

"I don't have many big life goals but my greatest, is to understand the Book of Souls. "

You are all free to use it on t-shirts, mugs, desktop wallpapers or whatever... I don't care..

I saw a Facebook ad for TBOS/iTunes this morning that said:

"Preorder the album now and get the FIRST single 'Speed of Light' instantly!"

...I bet we get a new track next Friday!

Not quite sure if this would be considered off topic and I apologize if so, but could make for some discussion..Metal Hammer put up a list of 10 underrated songs written by Dave.

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/fea...t-iron-maiden-songs-co-written-by-dave-murray
This is quite funny:
Judas Be My Guide (Fear Of The Dark, 1992)
Written by Dave Murray and Bruce Dickinson

Another Davey co-write that Iron Maiden have never played live, yet when the officially-endorsed tribute band Hi-On Maiden premiered their version of Judas Be My Guide the place went absolutely shit-nuts. Not hard to see why: a three-minute righteous rollicking rock 'n' roll rampage with an uproarious singalong chorus and lashings of creamy guitar licks plus a euphoric Davey solo, it was seemingly tailor-made for a live environment that never got to see it.

Less than 2 weeks to go now. Like the calm before the storm. Surely samples and more reviews will surface the closer to we to release. I know I'm going to try and resist temptation to do anything other than read about the songs - to try and go in as fresh as possible. Can't wait.
I don't remember any samples for TFF. Or were they?

I saw a Facebook ad for TBOS/iTunes this morning that said:

"Preorder the album now and get the FIRST single 'Speed of Light' instantly!"

...I bet we get a new track next Friday!

You reckon? I think someone might have told us by now if there was going to be a second one. There is a chance we get a single after the release date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back