General Album Ratings

I don't like it very much as you can see but I think it's beacuse it's 50/50 for me. I love Phantom from the opera, Remember tomorrow, running free and wratchild but I hate rest.

I don't like it very much as you can see but I think it's beacuse it's 50/50 for me. I love Phantom from the opera, Remember tomorrow, running free and wratchild but I hate rest.

That's fair. You gotta admit though that the cover of Killers is pretty badass though.

Right then. My turn.

16. A Matter Of Life And Death (2006)
Right, say what you will about his album, but to me, this is the worst Maiden album. To me, it's just too...boring. Yes, they're a couple of good songs on the album...but that's it. A couple. Two. The sound quality isn't bad, but my main complaint with this album is that the songs just drone on and on and on. I think two or three songs could've been saved by just cutting 1½-3 minutes off of them.

Top Three Songs:
1. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
2. Different World
3. ?????

Album rating: 3/10

15. The Final Frontier (2010)
Okay, now to me, their is a considerable jump from AMOLAD, to this album, The Final Frontier. It's an alright album. It's got a few flaws, but most albums are bound to have a couple of duds in them. I really like Where The Wild Wind Blows on this record. It's a classic, good, long Iron Maiden song. In all of its 11 minutes, not once do I ever find myself getting bored with this song. A couple of highly underrated Iron Maiden songs are in this record as well, Isle of Avalon, and Starblind.

Top Three Songs:
1. Where The Wild Wind Blows
2. El Dorado
3. Isle Of Avalon

Album Rating: 7/10

14. Dance Of Death (2003)
Again, this isn't a bad album, and considering this is Iron Maiden, it's got some HUGE competition. But let's be honest for a minute, coming off of one of the best albums in the catalogue (Brave New World), and two huge tours (Brave New World , and Give Me Ed ...Till I'm Dead), you were probably expecting something a little better than Dance Of Death. It starts off quite well, with Wildest Dreams kicking things off, than Rainmaker, and No More Lies. Then it loses me with Montségur, and I don't ever really find my footing again until Face In The Sand (brilliant track by the way, HIGHLY underrated), and then Journeyman, the band's only fully acoustic track. Tracks like the title track, and Paschendale are good, but not memorable. All in all though, it's not a bad album, and I do listen to some songs of this album regularly.

Top Three Songs:
1. Rainmaker
2. No More Lies
3. Face In The Sand

Album Rating: 7/10

13. No Prayer For The Dying (1990)
Lots of people when this came out in 1990, were less than impressed. What with Adrian Smith leaving and Janick Gers entering, and the massive sound change. Course, the 1990s were hard for pretty much every metal band on the planet. Metallica was the only who stayed near the top, but look at all the change they under went. But this album isn't too bad. It's a downhill slide from Seventh Son of A Seventh Son, but it's still got some halfass tunes. I quite like tracks such as Tailgunner, Holy Smoke, No Prayer For The Dying, Bring Your Daughter, and Mother Russia. The only real duds on this one are Public Enema Number One, and Run Silent Run Deep. This one isn't a bad album either, and despite it being ranked in the lower half of this list, it's quite good.

Top Three Songs:
1. Tailgunner
2. Mother Russia
3. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter

Album Rating: 7½/10

12. Killers (1981)
Again, this is NOT a bad album. To me this album is just...too long. The sound quality is not the best, but better than the debut album. It's also got some good tracks on it, such as Wrathchild and Murders In The Rue Morgue. But then there are other tracks, such as Prodigal Son, that left me asking myself "What the hell was that??" This album feels just sort of pieced together. It probably would've been better to me if a couple songs were dropped, and just added as B-sides.

Top Three Songs:
1. Killers
2. Wrathchild
3. Drifter

Album Rating: 7½/10

11. Virtual XI (1998)
Now, on most lists, this album is either at the stone, dead bottom of the list, or damn close to it. I personally don't see why. It's a brilliant album. Blaze Hayley had some good vocals working here, Janick Gers and Dave Murray had brilliant guitar work here, and Steve Harris and Nicko McBrain were brilliant as normal. To me, the only song that appears as a dud to me, is Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger. This song, is like a train. It takes too long to get going, but when it does get going, it doesn't stop easily, and it's not real exciting either. Even The Angel And The Gambler is better than this, despite the two minutes consecutive of "Don't ya think I could save you, Don't ya think I could save you, Don't ya think I could save your life". But it's also got amazing tracks in it, such as Futureal, The Clansman, and the very underrated Como Estais Amigos.

Top Three Songs:
1. The Clansman
2. Como Estais Amigos
3. Futureal

Album Rating: 7¾/10

10. Iron Maiden (1980)
This is Iron Maiden's debut album. I don't really have too awful much to say about it. It's a pretty good album, despite the shitty audio quality, and it's got some good tracks on it, such as Prowler and Remember Tomorrow. To me, the only track I feel doesn't measure up properly to the rest of the songs, is Strange World, which is a "meh" song.

Top Three Songs:
1. Sanctuary
2. Prowler
3. Phantom Of The Opera

Album Rating: 7¾/10

9. Fear Of The Dark (1992)
This album takes a lot of shit, and it takes it quite often. I don't see why. Now, it isn't their best album, as it does have the single worst Iron Maiden song recorded, but it's far from the worst, and it's still got some damn good tunes on it. Weekend Warrior is the song I'm talking about when I say "the worst". It's the only song that is boring straight from the first second, up to the last. Fear Of The Dark, has filler tracks (The Apparition, The Fugitive, Fear Is The Key), but before, in between, and after, are great tracks. Most notably, one of the best Maiden songs ever, Fear Of The Dark. Others too, such as Be Quick Or Be Dead, From Here To Eternity , and another highly underrated song, Judas Be My Guide.

Top Three Songs:
1. Fear Of The Dark
2. Judas Be My Guide
3. Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Album Rating: 8/10

8. The X Factor (1995)
This album was of course, the first with Blaze Bayley on vocals, instead of Bruce Dickinson. To be honest, I like Blaze's vocals on these songs MUCH better than Bruce, apart from Sign Of The Cross. It's also the darkest of the Maiden discography, and you can tell that just from the opening few seconds of this album. Also, this album has FIVE of my most underrated Maiden songs, Look For The Truth, Blood On The World's Hand's, The Edge Of Darkness, 2 AM, and Fortunes Of War. All of which are great tracks. My two main complaints on his album are these: the guitars aren't loud enough, and what the hell is The Unbeliever doing on this album, and not Doctor, Doctor.

Top Three Songs:
1. Sign Of The Cross
2. Man Of The Edge
3. 2 AM

Album Rating: 8/10

7. Piece Of Mind (1983)
This was the first album to feature Nicko McBrain on the drums, instead of Clive Burr (RIP), and the opening track "Where Eagles Dare" is a great opener, to really, what is a great album. It's nothing but good old fashioned, drive hard classic metal, only slowing down for Sun And Steel, which even though is the worst track on the album, it's still a good track. All in all, if your looking for an album that is just plain, old school metal, look no further than Piece Of Mind.

Top Three Tracks:
1. Revelations
2. The Trooper
3. Die With Your Boots On

Album Rating: 8½/10

6. Brave New World (2000)
Now this, is what you call a grade A++ comeback album. The Blaze years, had sent Maiden down into the ditch, and who better to mend the problem, than with Bruce Dickinson, and Adrian Smith returning to the line up. This album is almost completely flawless, with the only two flaws being The Mercenary, and The Nomad. This album has great sound, Nicko McBrain kicks more ass in this album more than any other (mainly on The Wicker Man), and the melodies are to die for. This was Maiden in their second prime. The end of this album sees two massively underrated songs cap everything off: Out Of The Silent Planet, and The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, both of which are some of the most beautiful peices of music I've ever heard.

Top Three Songs:
1. Brave New World
2. Out Of The Silent Planet
3. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate

Album Rating: 9/10

5. The Book Of Souls (2015)
I was scared to death when I read on Loudwire.com, that Bruce Dickinson had cancer, as I'm sure the whole of the metal world was. But this album proves, that it's gonna take more than a little cancer, to kill Eddie, and the boys. Bruce kicked cancer's ass, and then came The Book Of Souls, which is the best Maiden album since 1988's Seventh Son. The kings of long songs, put three tracks on this album eclipsing 10 minutes (The Red 13:38, Title Track 10:31, and The Empire of Clouds 18:00), and for a group of people eligible for an AARP membership, they kick more ass then all the modern bands of today. If Eternity Should Fail, is a fantastic opener, and it doesn't ever lose momentum from there.

Top Three Songs:
1. The Empire Of The Clouds
2. If Eternity Should Fail
3. The Great Unknown

Album Rating: 9½/10

4. Powerslave (1984)
From the opening chords of Aces High, to the fade away on Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, this album is pure brilliance. It launched Iron Maiden's largest world tour of 188 dates around the world, including a performance in front of 300,000+ people at Rock In Rio. Everyone here, is firing on all cylinders, and they only go down from that on two tracks, Losfer Words, and The Duelists. Two filler tracks that even still, they contribute to the album, and are still half ass tracks.

Top Three Songs:
1. 2 Minutes To Midnight
2. Aces High
3. Powerslave

Album Rating: 9½/10

3. The Number Of The Beast (1982)
666...the number of the beast. Their really isn't any point in arguing against it, this was a HUGE album for not only Iron Maiden, but the entirety of the metal genre. Not a single track on this record is there, that I don't adore. Even Gangland and Invaders to me, are really, good tracks, and highly underrated. Then of course, we can't forget the massive classics, Run To The Hills, The Number Of The Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, and even the sub-classics in Children Of The Damned, The Prisoner, and 22 Acacia Avenue.

Top Three Songs:
1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Children Of The Damned
3. Run To The Hills

Album Rating: 10/10

2. Somewhere In Time (1986)
Now, I have a HUGE taste of music. Although Metallica, and Iron Maiden are my top two dogs by a landslide, I do enjoy some modern metal/rock (FFDP, Godsmack, System Of A Down, etc.). But I also enjoy 80s pop, 70s slow rock, and all the music you hear on a traditional classic rock station. In other words, keyboards are in a lot of my music. So when I first turned on this album, and heard Caught Somewhere In Time, it was an instant eargasim. And every single second is pure bliss. The sound of the guitars, is simply amazing. The worst song on this album is a history lesson. And even that, is shear greatness.

Top Three Songs:
1. Caught Somewhere In Time
2. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
3. Sea Of Madness OR Stranger In A Strange Land

Album Rating: 11/10

1. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)
I can't even think of all the words to describe the greatness of this album. The only reason this isn't a tie for first place with Somewhere In Time, is that this album has actual keyboards/synthesisers, instead of synthetic guitars. From the opening seconds of Moonchild, to the closing seconds of Only The Good Die Young (which sound almost exactly the same oddly enough), this album exceeds what it takes to make a great album. Every song on here I give a solid 10/10 except The Prophecy, which I give a 9½/10. This album has the forgotten Infinite Dreams, the live staples in The Evil That Men Do, Moonchild, and The Clairvoyant, and the epic title track, which is 9:57 of your life you'll never regret using. You really REALLY need to hear this album if you haven't for a while cause...wow.

Top Three Songs:
1. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
2. The Evil That Men Do
3. The Clairvoyant OR Moonchild

Album Rating: 20/10

I like the above post for being different than the forum consensus, without ever falling into Play Classics tripe.

Alright so I haven't quite given each album a proper listen to ever but I'm slowly going through and listening to the Albums in full and no particular order.

Of the ones I have listened to fully here are my thoughts:
Number of the Beast:
Incredibly heavily focused on Side 2, like I honestly would be fine if Children and Gangland were swapped and that side became and EP. Invaders and Gangland I wasn't a fan of, the former was Ok at best. The Prisoner and 22 Acacia Avenue are decent songs but not something I seek out when I want to hear Maiden. Children of the Damned is amazing, Number of the Beast should of been the album opener. Run to the Hills is a classic. And Hallowed is a masterpiece deserving of all the praise it can get.

Piece of Mind:
I'll start off by saying I overall prefer Number of the Beast. Where Eagles Dare thought The Trooper was great as always. Revalations is growing on me lately as is Die with your boots on. Still Life and Quest for Fire have warranted re-listens to form proper opinions But To Tame a Land as well as Sun and Steel will need more time before i revisit them.

Powerslave:
Honestly this is my favourite overall Maiden Album. I just wish they had added Churchill's speech to this as well as Live After Death. Aces High i used to not enjoy but over the past few months it has shot up considerably to being one of my favourite songs. 2 Minutes to Midnight I find overplayed and over hyped solid song but it falls with 22 Acacia and The Prisoner for me, good but not something I seek out. Losfer Words I quite enjoy. Flash of the Blade to Back in the Village are enjoyable songs. Powerslave hits like a truck, wow amazing song honestly would of been a great opener or closer but just when it ends you get the crown jewel of the album Rime of the Ancient Mariner 13 minutes of amazing rock and roll.

Somewhere in Time:
While Powerslave is my favourite overall album, the sound on this one is my favourite. Caught Somewhere In Time is an amazing opener. Wasted Years is beautiful in every way. Sea of Madness is a strong song. Heaven Can Wait I have one issue with, the music is good, chorus is catchy but the overall lyrics and Bruce's delivery I find so underwhelming and not suited to the song. Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner I was Ok with not a huge fan but still a Solid song. Stranger in a Strange Land is great. De Ja Vu is I think could of been much better if it was shorter. But it still is a decent song. Alexander is a great closer and very enjoyable epic by Harris.

A Matter of Life And Death
Not going into as much detail as the previous. Enjoyed the most of the album. Different world was Ok, definitely not a good opener. Thousand Suns, Longest Day and For the Greater good of god are amazing. The Legacy I found too drawn out especially to end such a long album. Lord of Light was solid. These colours don't run is a nice song. Overall tracks 2-9 were strong. 1 and 10 lacked something to pull me in overall when listening to the album in its entirety. I can definitely see why they played it start to finish live.

I've listened to Seventh Son fully but it has been quite a while and my opinions of some songs have changed since then.

I'm gonna steal @Moonchild_14's post's template for this. Alright, let's see:

16. Virtual XI (1998)
This is by far the lowest point in Maiden's career yet. While The X Factor is a hidden gem in their discography, Blaze's sophomore effort with the band failed to achieve the same level of greatness of its predecessor, let alone that of the band's classic albums. The songs by themselves are very enjoyable, but they're very repetitive, and listening to the album in its entirety takes a lot of patience. The band sound tired, uninspired, and all that is made all the more apparent due to the poor sound quality and production. However, as with all other Maiden records, it does have those redeeming qualities and hidden brilliance that keep it from being unlistenable.

Top 3 songs:
  1. "The Clansman"
  2. "The Educated Fool"
  3. "Futureal"
Album rating: 3/10

15. Killers (1981)
I'm not sure if this comes off as a surprise or not, but there it is. Killers is my second least favorite Maiden album, and it's all fault of the band's decision to use B-side quality songs to fill up space on their sophomore effort. This is the complete opposite of Virtual XI: while that one features stellar (though terribly unpolished) songwriting hammered down by bad sound quality and production, this one features a stellar production courtesy of Martin Birch, but the songwriting is definitely subpar overall (by Maiden standards, anyway).

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Killers"
  2. "Murders In the Rue Morgue"
  3. "The Ides of March" / "Purgatory"
Album rating: 4/10

14. Fear of the Dark (1992)
The main problem I have with this album (other than it features "Weekend Warrior", my least favorite Maiden song) is that it feels less like an actual album, and more like a compilation of songs (which is not exactly what I'm looking for when listening to an album). The songs, while good, are completely disconnected from one another, which makes the entire thing sound like a mess (an enjoyable mess, but still a mess). Martin's (last) production is very good, even though it's not up to par with his work on other albums (like Powerslave and Piece of Mind). However, as always, the album does feature some stellar compositions, such as the title track (an immortal classic) and the often maligned, but brilliant "The Apparition".

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Fear of the Dark"
  2. "Afraid To Shoot Strangers"
  3. "The Apparition"
Album rating: 4/10

13. Dance of Death (2003)
Ironically, the band's 13th studio effort is also my 13th favorite album of theirs. It ultimately suffers from the same problem the previous album does (although here it's handled much better). The songs still sound completely unlinked, without any kind of continuity (almost as if you could move the track listing around and it wouldn't make any difference). The album is saved by a number of truly amazing songs that ultimately rank among the band's finest ever, also including what could possibly be the best short (less than 4 minutes) song of their entire career, "Rainmaker".

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Dance of Death"
  2. "Paschendale"
  3. "Rainmaker"
Album rating: 5/10

12. No Prayer For the Dying (1990)
There's really only one thing wrong with this record, and that goes by the name of "The Assassin". A brilliant instrumental piece almost completely butchered by unimaginative and even cringe-worthy lyrics and a mind numbingly stupid chorus. The other songs, however, more than make up for it, and while not as great as the other 11 albums to follow on this list, it's still a very solid and very enjoyable album, featuring, yet again, quite a few of Maiden's often hidden mini-masterpieces.

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Mother Russia"
  2. "No Prayer For the Dying"
  3. "Run Silent Run Deep"
Album rating: 6/10

11. The Number of the Beast (1982)
Okay, I'm sure a lot of you weren't expecting this one to be placed at such a low position, but if I had to point out a ridiculously overrated Maiden album, this would be it. No way in hell this is the band's best album. It's too uneven for that. It still maintains a little bit of the Killers street vibe, which is definitely not a good thing (just take a look at where I ranked it here). The only real dud here is "Gangland", but still: "Run to the Hills" is overrated and overplayed, "The Prisoner" goes on for a little longer than necessary, "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is not the band's greatest song ever (there are about 34 others that have outdone it), and the overall listening experience ends up being too underwhelming for it to be considered the best Maiden album ever. "Invaders", however, is one hell of an opener and a criminally underrated song, far better than "Run to the Hills".

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Hallowed Be Thy Name"
  2. "The Number of the Beast"
  3. "Children of the Damned"
Album rating: 6/10

10. Brave New World (2000)
Whenever I think of this album, the first word that springs to mind: fresh. That's what it sounds like after the ridiculously underwhelming Virtual XI. At a time when Iron Maiden appeared to have lost their magic and power, Brave New World was a more than welcome addition to the band's discography. The album absolutely crackles with energy, and it really sounds like a band climbing back up to the top of their own game. The closest thing to a dud here is "The Mercenary", which is still decent, although exhaustingly repetitive.

Top 3 songs:
  1. "The Nomad"
  2. "Dream of Mirrors"
  3. "Blood Brothers"
Album rating: 7/10

9. Iron Maiden (1980)
This one still ranks among the greatest debut albums I've ever heard. No band should sound this good at the very start of their career. The songwriting isn't always great, but it really sounds like the boys are trying. They're all really giving the best they've got, and the whole thing is mindblowing. It takes you right back to the '80s music scene, right to the start of the NWOBHM without sounding outdated. To this date, it still sounds fresh, just as if it were new. I still can't believe they wrote a monster (one that still ranks among the band's finest) like "Phantom of the Opera" on their first album, plus it features the band's best live track: "Iron Maiden".

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Phantom of the Opera"
  2. "Remember Tomorrow"
  3. "Transylvania"
Album rating: 7/10

8. The X Factor (1995)
An ominous gregorian chant introduces Blaze Bayley's debut in a very weird way. At a time when fans had gotten accustomed to the band's fast openers and long, epic closers, Iron Maiden took their own formula and turned it on its head, opening their darkest album with one of their longest songs ever: the 11-minute "Sign of the Cross". For a long time, I thought that it was a terrible opener. I used to think "Man On the Edge" would work better to open the album, whereas "Sign" should be the closer (because, you know... that's what you would expect from them). And boy, was I wrong! "Sign of the Cross" is a brilliant masterpiece of an opener, and it itself should (have) burst this album to recognition. Most of the songs here have been ignored for a very long time, and what a mistake that ended up being. The X Factor is Maiden's most artistic and introspective album to date, and while it doesn't always hits the greatness target, it's a very consistent and very focused record. It kinda works like a jigsaw puzzle: take a song out, the entire thing falls apart.

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Sign of the Cross"
  2. "Lord of the Flies"
  3. "Blood On the World's Hands"
Album rating: 8/10

7. The Final Frontier (2010)
For a long time, I felt this album wasn't good. No matter how much I tried, I could never get into it! It wasn't until recently that it finally clicked with me, and, suddenly, it grew. From the brilliant atmospheric opener to the fading wind of "When the Wild Wind Blows", it never lets up. There's no bad song here, nothing even remotely close to a dud. All songs work perfectly both on the album and separately. The songwriting is magnificent, and we get to hear the band experimenting with lots of new things and venturing into previously unexplored territories. "Isle of Avalon", for instance, doesn't really sound like anything they did before or after, and it all works tremendously well.

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Starblind"
  2. "When the Wild Wind Blows"
  3. "The Talisman"
Album rating: 8/10

6. Somewhere In Time (1986)
This doesn't feel as much as an album as it does as an experimental transition. This is where Maiden started to introduce (more) layers to their overall sound, with the addition of synthesizers. It's ironic that just a few years earlier Bruce was so firmly stating that "you can't play heavy metal with synthesizers". And you really couldn't! That is, until Somewhere In Time came along. Maiden pulled it all off incredibly well - feels like they had been using them forever. It all sounds very natural, and the way the whole thing blends in with the futuristic atmosphere and the songs is astonishing. Also, kudos to Martin Birch for one of his best production jobs ever.

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Alexander the Great"
  2. "Wasted Years"
  3. "Stranger In a Strange Land"
Album rating: 9/10

5. The Book of Souls (2015)
Who would've ever thought that 6 60-year-old guys in a 40-year-old band would still have such a monster left in them? The Book of Souls is a tremendous effort. Very consistent and focused, not to mention all of the brilliant performances and how fucking epic the whole thing sounds. There really isn't much to say about this album - other than it kicks serious ass. The only song here that ends up sounding a bit meh is "Death or Glory", and even then it's a very fun song to listen to. Also, obviously, it's worth mentioning that Bruce sounds fantastic, and the fact that he still had his untreated tongue cancer when he recorded this thing makes it all the more amazing and unbelievable. He really shines on "Empire of the Clouds"!

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Empire of the Clouds"
  2. "The Red and the Black"
  3. "The Book of Souls"

4. Piece of Mind (1983)
Right off the bat, I must say that this record features the best Maiden production ever. The drums sound amazing, the guitars crisp and clear, Steve's bass blends in perfectly with the guitars, and Bruce's vocals are very powerful throughout. His diction is also a highlight here - you shouldn't need lyrics to catch up on what he's singing about. Musically, the entire album is brilliant. Only the lyrics aren't the best sometimes, with random innaccurate mentions of dinosaurs and the retelling of a story that ultimately makes no sense at all (sorry Steve!). It does, however, include the best and most brilliant song Davey's ever written, the awfully underrated "Still Life" (which also happens to be the best song on the album).

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Still Life"
  2. "Revelations"
  3. "Flight of Icarus"

3. A Matter of Life and Death (2006)
To me, this is the closest to progressive metal Maiden's ever been. It feels almost concept-like, and for that it's no wonder that the band decided to play it live in its entirety. Much like The X Factor, this is another example of an album that actually works as one. If you try to unscrew it, take things away from it, it kinda falls apart - that's the beauty of it. Actually, to me, this album could as well be called a concept album: all songs feel linked together in a way no Maiden album has ever been, and they all end up coming down to the same themes of war and religion. Plus, it's a lyrical journey, as much as a sonic one - it takes you right down to the middle of a battlefield, to the creation of the atomic bomb, to all the chaos and despair of all the fights and wars religion can ultimately lead to. It's a masterpiece.

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns"
  2. "The Legacy"
  3. "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg"
Album rating: 10/10

2. Powerslave (1984)
This is by far the most powerful album this band has ever released. Whatever song you choose to play from it, it feels like it's gonna blow up your speakers. It's fast and energetic, in a way that I can't help but think it must have been a major influence in thrash metal - except it's much better than that. Tightly written riffs, genius drum fills from Nicko, Steve's bass wonderfully cutting through the guitars, and Bruce's deliveries as powerful as ever, in addition to having the most beautiful harmonies ever written in Maiden's history. Not only that, it features the best song ever created in the history of mankind, Steve's own monster epic and masterpiece, the utterly perfect "Rime of the Ancient Mariner". A classic in every sense of the word.

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
  2. "Powerslave"
  3. "Aces High"

1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
This is it. The ultimate Iron Maiden masterpiece. Seventh Son is a fantastic album from start to finish, and the boys all sound as inspired as ever. Maiden's only officially acknowledged concept album, it tells the story of the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and his journey through life as he discovers his powers and abilities. Musically, this is the catchiest album the band's ever put out, with literally every melody (including the vocal ones) being able to crawl their way into your brain and be stuck in there for a very long time (maybe forever). The use of keyboards is brilliant, just enough as to create the necessary atmosphere, but not to let it dominate over the rest of the music. This is the most accessible Maiden album in terms of sound, and over the years the word "accessible" has gained a very bad connotation (especially with the resurgence of pop music in recent years), but that's not to detract from the utter brilliance that is Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Top 3 songs:
  1. "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"
  2. "Only the Good Die Young"
  3. "Infinite Dreams"

Thoughts? Anyone?

Last edited:
Cool list (even if I disagree with a lot of it). I’ll probably give Maiden another discography listen and then rank the albums myself... maybe even re-rank the songs list? Too soon?

Now that my discography listen is complete, time to do this. In the style of Moonchild_14 and Number 6:

16. Killers (1981)
Killers isn't a bad album. In fact, it has several great songs on it. That said, it also features some of Maiden's all-time worst. Many of these songs are b-side fodder at best. A definite step-down from the pretty cool debut album, though it has its place in Maiden history and the discography wouldn't be the same without it. Very overrated album as a whole, certainly.
  1. Murders in the Rue Morgue
  2. Killers
  3. Genghis Khan
  4. Wrathchild
  5. The Ides of March
  6. Twilight Zone
  7. Prodigal Son
  8. Another Life
  9. Innocent Exile
  10. Drifter
  11. Purgatory
Rating: 4/10

15. The Final Frontier (2010)
After the awesome albums that were BNW, DOD, and AMOLAD, expectations were high for Maiden's fifteenth album. With a name like "The Final Frontier" there was also worry that it would be the band's final. Thank god it wasn't, because this honestly wouldn't have been the best way to exit with. It's not a bad album, but as a whole, the songs seem a bit less good than ones from literally every other album. It's a good album when listening to it, but it's just not the band at their peak. Thank god we still got The Book of Souls... now that album is something else.
  1. The Talisman
  2. When The Wild Wind Blows
  3. El Dorado
  4. Starblind
  5. Isle of Avalon
  6. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
  7. The Alchemist
  8. Coming Home
  9. Mother of Mercy
  10. The Man Who Would Be King
Rating: 5/10

14. Iron Maiden (1980)
It may be low on this list, but there's a lot to love about Maiden's classic debut album. All of the songs (except for "Remember Tomorrow") are pretty decent, and it's an enjoyable listen overall. Definitely the best way to kick off the best band in the world. Still, there are 13 other albums which, I think at least, are better than this one. But this is definitely a better album that the bottom two. As a whole, a nice work.
  1. Iron Maiden
  2. Phantom of the Opera
  3. Prowler
  4. Strange World
  5. Running Free
  6. Transylvania
  7. Sanctuary
  8. Charlotte the Harlot
  9. Remember Tomorrow
Rating: 7/10

13. No Prayer For The Dying (1990)
I don't consider this a step-down from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. It feels like a natural progression on from it. All of the songs on here are decent (though "Fates Warning" isn't too great), and as a whole it's an enjoyable listen. It's sad because I like it a lot, but there are 12 better albums. *Sigh*. Oh the woes of being a Maiden Fan.
  1. Tailgunner
  2. Mother Russia
  3. Run Silent Run Deep
  4. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
  5. Hooks In You
  6. No Prayer For The Dying
  7. Public Enema Number One
  8. Holy Smoke
  9. The Assassin
  10. Fates Warning
Rating: 7/10

12. A Matter of Life and Death (2006)
A monster album, certainly. Not perfect, though - "Out of the Shadows" is meh, "These Colours Don't Run" isn't too memorable, and "The Longest Day" is very anticlimactic. The rest, though, range from good to great. I wouldn't say a step-down from BNW and DOD, but it isn't as good at the same stroke. Still love it though.
  1. The Legacy
  2. Different World
  3. For The Greater Good Of God
  4. Lord of Light
  5. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
  6. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
  7. The Pilgrim
  8. These Colours Don't Run
  9. The Longest Day
  10. Out of the Shadows
Rating: 8/10

11. The Number of the Beast (1982)
Ah yes, it's the immortal classic. The album that single-handedly took Maiden from a fairly popular NWOBHM act to a monster leading the metal charge during the '80s. And, for the most part, it lives up to the hype that surrounds it. That said, Maiden have done better overall. Bruce's vocals definitely needed some time to mature as well; he sounds much better on POM overall. Still, the monsters on this album are truly monstrous and the worst songs are still pretty damn good.
  1. Run To The Hills
  2. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  3. Total Eclipse
  4. The Number of the Beast
  5. The Prisoner
  6. Children of the Damned
  7. 22 Acacia Avenue
  8. Gangland
  9. Invaders

10. Piece of Mind (1983)
TNOTB is a good album, but Piece of Mind is an instant step-up. Bruce sounds less raw and more in control of his singing, which is now a lot better. The production is better as well, and the band is really on fire. Used to be my least favorite Bruce-era '80s album, but it's rising. Good stuff all around.
  1. Still Life
  2. Flight of Icarus
  3. The Trooper
  4. To Tame A Land
  5. Sun and Steel
  6. Revelations
  7. Where Eagles Dare
  8. Die With Your Boots On
  9. Quest For Fire

9. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
I legitimately don't know what happened. For the longest time, this was my second favorite Maiden album overall.... but something's slipped. I'm not quite sure what it was that did it, but it felt less... lively when I relistened to it again. I nearly dozed off. Hopefully this one will rise again. It's still a great album but... yeah, not near my favorite any longer. *Sigh*.
  1. The Evil That Men Do
  2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  3. Infinite Dreams
  4. Only The Good Die Young
  5. Can I Play With Madness
  6. Moonchild
  7. The Clairvoyant
  8. The Prophecy

8. Fear of the Dark (1992)
I've long been a defender of this highly underrated album. Many people say it has some of Maiden's worst songs; the only one that could be considered a "worst" is "Childhood's End", the rest are decent to outstanding. "Judas Be My Guide", "The Apparition", "Weekend Warrior", "Fear of the Dark", "Afraid to Shoot Strangers", and "From Here To Eternity" are six really awesome songs. Love this album. Doesn't deserve the hate.
  1. Judas Be My Guide
  2. The Apparition
  3. Weekend Warrior
  4. Fear of the Dark
  5. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
  6. From Here To Eternity
  7. Be Quick Or Be Dead
  8. The Fugitive
  9. Wasting Love
  10. Chains of Misery
  11. Fear Is The Key
  12. Childhood's End

7. Somewhere In Time (1986)
For a long time, this was my favorite Maiden album ever... that was before Powerslave really annihilated the competition. Still, SIT is a damn fine album. The feel, the vibe, the production, the playing - it's all good. Bruce isn't always perfect on here but when he is, he fucking is. The space-y theme is great, and the synths are the perfect way to elevate it to the next level. Great album.
  1. Alexander the Great
  2. Wasted Years
  3. Deja Vu
  4. Stranger in a Strange Land
  5. Heaven Can Wait
  6. Sea of Madness
  7. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
  8. Caught Somewhere In Time
Rating: 9/10

6. Virtual XI (1998)
A very overhated album in the metal community. Sure, it's got its fair share of flaws, but for some reason they really appeal to me. Blaze sounds great, the band may not be flying like they were on other albums, but it's well-assembled with many underrated tracks. "Como Estais Amigos" is a Top 3 Maiden track. Love this album.
  1. Como Estais Amigos
  2. The Clansman
  3. Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
  4. Lightning Strikes Twice
  5. The Angel and the Gambler
  6. Futureal
  7. When Two Worlds Collide
  8. The Educated Fool

5. Dance of Death (2003)
Another underrated Maiden album, this one is experimental to its core, and I love it because of that. "Paschendale" and "Journeyman" are incredible songs, and all the rest are damn good as well. The cover mirrors the album, IMO, so I don't even hate that. As a whole, excellent follow-up to BNW and proof positive that this line-up wasn't afraid to take risks. Now if someone could just fix that production....
  1. Paschendale
  2. Journeyman
  3. Gates of Tomorrow
  4. Face in the Sand
  5. No More Lies
  6. Montsegur
  7. Rainmaker
  8. Age of Innocence
  9. Dance of Death
  10. Wildest Dreams
  11. New Frontier

4. Brave New World (2000)
Jesus, this one rose a lot. Released a little less than a year before my birth, this album used to be my least favorite from the band. Now it's #4. Why is that? I'm not quite sure, but there is a ton to love about it. It's not the comeback album everyone heralds it as, but it is a powerful, strong way to usher Bruce and Adrian back into the fold. Excellent stuff.
  1. Out of the Silent Planet
  2. The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
  3. Dream of Mirrors
  4. Brave New World
  5. The Mercenary
  6. Blood Brothers
  7. The Nomad
  8. The Wicker Man
  9. The Fallen Angel
  10. Ghost of the Navigator
Rating: 10/10

3. The Book of Souls (2015)
Released less than three years ago, it's incredible that Maiden's newest album could hold its own among so many classic albums. But it does! Individually, some of the songs aren't as good as many of the other songs from the band, but as a whole, when a part of this much larger work, they're really great and play off each other well. And obviously, this album is the one that features the single greatest songs of all time, "Empire of the Clouds". It's good without that song, but with it, it's stupendous. Love it. Can't wait to see if they can top it.
  1. Empire of the Clouds
  2. The Red and the Black
  3. If Eternity Should Fail
  4. Tears of a Clown
  5. Death or Glory
  6. The Book of Souls
  7. Speed of Light
  8. The Great Unknown
  9. The Man of Sorrows
  10. When The River Runs Deep
  11. Shadows of the Valley
Rating: 10/10

2. The X Factor (1995)
Steve Harris was in a dark place in 1995. The greatest singer in metal history, Bruce Dickinson, had abandoned him to pursue a solo career, and 'Arry was also in the midst of a messy divorce and several other issues in his life. He "felt like suicide a dozen times or more". But thank god he didn't end it all there, instead bringing one Blaze Bayley on board to sing for this album. And my god, do these guys knock it out of the park. The X Factor is a masterpiece of an album. Every single song fits it, and it's a dark but hopeful, earnest album. It's the most personal thing the band would ever release, and that sells it. Perfect, utterly perfect. It deserves number one... but there is an album that's just a tad better. I bet you know what it is.
  1. Lord of the Flies
  2. Sign of the Cross
  3. Judgement of Heaven
  4. The Aftermath
  5. Fortunes of War
  6. The Unbeliever
  7. The Edge of Darkness
  8. 2 AM
  9. Blood on the World's Hands
  10. Look for the Truth
  11. Man on the Edge
Rating: 11/10

1. Powerslave (1984)
The X Factor is a perfect album, but Powerslave takes it to another level. The songwriting is supreme, the vocals and instruments are at their absolute peak, it's tight, it's well-produced, it's metallic to a tee, it's got some of the best songs Maiden would ever released (the lowest song on here is #37 on my list, out of 155). It's just... the goddamn best. Alongside Bruce's The Chemical Wedding and Ahab's The Call of the Wretched Sea, it's a contender for greatest album ever. I love it. It gets better with each listen. Perfection.
  1. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
  2. Aces High
  3. Powerslave
  4. Back in the Village
  5. 2 Minutes To Midnight
  6. Flash of the Blade
  7. The Duellists
  8. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Rating: 11/10

So yeah. Keep in mind that this list isn't set in stone; this is merely what I think at the moment.

16. Killers (1981)
d4SSFHg.gif

2. The X Factor (1995)
vJgy8PX.gif

Iryo, though.

Iron Maiden
A very good album with some strong songs like Prowler, Phantom Of The Opera and Remember Tomorrow.
For a debut this is pretty good.

Killers
Murders In The Rue Morgue, Killers, Purgatory (gotta love that juicy melodic chorus!) and Prodigal Sons are the best here.
It's hard to choose which Di'Anno album is better, but I'd pick this one.

The Number Of The Beast
Classic album! Apart from a few lesser songs (Gangland, Total Eclipse) almost flawless. Hallowed Be Thy Name is my favorite song here.

Piece Of Mind
I love the guitar sound on this album! There's not a single song I skip here. Even Quest For Fire (the brilliant instrumental piece!) and Sun And Steel are enyoable. Favorite song: Revelations.

Powerslave
First Maiden album I heard as a whole (In the mid 90's) and which turned me into a Maiden fan. This is one of my "Holy Trinity" Maiden albums.
The instrumental section of The Duellists is awesome. I also love the Egyptian theme.

Somewhere In Time
My alltime favorite Maiden album! From the first notes of Caught Somewhere In Time until the last melodies of Alexander The Great this is a perfect album for me! Hard to pick a favorite song here... My least favorite song here is Heaven Can Wait but still...great song!

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Third of my "Holy Trinity" Maiden albums (that's 3 in a row...interesting) and not a bad song either. This is just perfect!

No Prayer For The Dying
This album needed some time to grow. Bruce voice sounds a little raspy but there are many great songs here. Don't know why I couldn't get into it at first either. But: not as strong as the previous 3 albums.

Fear Of The Dark
Amazing artwork and title track "save" this album. Alot of (do I dare to use the word) "fillers" like Chains Of Misery, The Apparition and Weekend Warrior. Judas Be My Guide and Childhood's End are very underrated and are personal favorites here.

The X Factor
Special album for me because this was the first "new" Maiden album I bought. (Became a fan around the release of A Real Live One) and the first time I get to see Maiden live. Blaze did it very well that evening. This is a dark album and many songs have similar song structure so I have to be really in the mood (melancholic, sad,...) to really enjoy it.

Virtual XI
"Not as good as The X Factor" is an understatement. One of my bottom albums.
Best songs: The Clansman and Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger. The rest goes from "good" to "a bit better".

Brave New World
The return of Bruce and Adrian! Very good album but the final 2 songs make it a bit too long for me.

Dance Of Death
Another "bottom" album for me although it was released during a time I was fully Maidenized at the old Maiden BB forum (don't know if there are members here from those days) No, I'm not a big fan of Paschendale either (call me mad, I know)

A Matter Of Life And Death
A huge step forward! Better songs than on DOD!

The Final Frontier
The "Tinbox" album. I like this one alot although some songs are soooo loooong.

The Book Of Souls
Masterclass artwork. That digibook! Evil Eddie!! The colourful picture discs! This is extremely excitable.
And I still don't know which of the 2 discs I like the most...

Last edited:
16. The X Factor
An album which really doesn't do all that much for me, I'm not the biggest fan of Blaze's vocals Sign Of The Cross is fantastic but I prefer Bruce's live version.

15. Virtual XI
Like The X Factor this album suffers from no Bruce, The Clansman is the ONLY Blaze song I listen to his version of the song. Once again the live version is superior.

---

14. Fear Of The Dark
Fear Of The Dark is a nice sized jump from the previous two albums on this list, a great title track which when performed live is amazing, some stronger album cuts here and a nice strong opener. I think the album is too long with what it has on it. Also this album through No Prayer on this list could be swapped in place.

13. Killers
Killers, the first of the Paul era Maiden on this list, I don't listen to much from this aside from Wrathchild and the Title track, the more punk sound of the early Maiden is great and I find myself enjoying it quite a bit at times. But the album as a whole isn't amazing, just okay.

12. The Final Frontier
The first reunion album on the list. I don't know what it is about the album but as a whole I can't really get into it. The Talsiman is phenomenal on En Vivo! but here it lacks something in this slower tempo. Coming Home is good, El Dorado is a nice rocker but Maiden has too many good rockers to just be nice. The introductory track/title track should be two separate ones.

11. No Prayer For The Dying
Another okay album, I don't listen to much from it but I do recall the album be rather enjoyable when I did my 365 albums in a year. Mother Russia and Fates Warning play every so often but I mostly choose to listen to songs from after this album on the list.

---

10. Dance Of Death
The next chunk of the list are the strong albums from Maiden, The title track is amazing, Paschendale is epic and powerful, Rainmaker is a great modern day single. Yes the album has rather poor artwork and is a little too long as a whole. But the band is on fire in many places on this album. If it was shorter and a little better produced it could have been much higher.

9. Iron Maiden
The debut, hard rocking and rough. Another album I don't listen to a ton but the entire album is quite strong, Phantom of the Opera, Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Iron Maiden are all great, Running Free is the weakest track and even that could be a fun song to hear.

8. Piece Of Mind
The much loved 4th album from the 80s. I don't get it personally, yes The Trooper is phenomenal, Where Eagles Dare is a pretty good opener, Icarus is another great song but it could of been faster. Revelations is far better live and the studio version does little for me. As a whole the album is pretty good but not great for me

7. Brave New World
The comeback album! Another rather good album, I really don't listen to a ton of these songs but The Wickerman is a great opener and punchy rocker. Great sounding and an excellent comeback and a great return to form for Maiden.

---

6. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The beginning of the masterpiece albums, The first 5 tracks are phenomenal (aside from Can I Play With Madness), The Clairvoyant is also pretty darn great leaving a total of 3 weaker tracks but the other 5 more than make up for it. The Evil That Men Do and Moonchild are great catchy rock songs. Infinite Dreams is great and then there is the massive title track.

5. The Book Of Souls
If this was a single album, it likely would be even higher, a massive album which features 3 massive sprawling epics, and are frankly all amazing. If Eternity Should Fail is a great opener. Speed Of Light and Death Or Glory are strong short rockers. Those 6 songs alone would have made a great hour long album, splash in 2 others and you still get a powerful 70 minute album. Empire of the Clouds is fantastic.

4. The Number Of The Beast
Ah here were go, the introduction of Bruce, I listened to the album a couple weeks ago and frankly Invaders isn't that bad, the chorus just sucks. Gangland is a waste of space and 22 Acacia Avenue just doesn't click for me. However that still leaves some of Maiden's strongest material, The Prisoner and Children Of The Damned are two amazing album cuts. The title track is a blazing rocker which I'm surprised didn't open the album itself. Run To The Hills is full of energy. All culminating in Hallowed Be Thy Name. A great album.

3. Powerslave
Yes it is bookended, but frankly when you have Aces High, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner and Powerslave on one album not too much can compare. 2 minutes to midnight is strong as well. The middle section remains as 4 good songs in a row but they don't come close to the energy of Aces High or the epic feeling of the title track and Rime to close off the album. My first Maiden album and it is amazing.

2. A Matter Of Life And Death
A masterpiece, no question about it. For me there are two weaker songs on this album, The Pilgrim and The Legacy. Everything else is absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Long and progressive, dark and heavy this album feels the darkness of war throughout while tying in religion into the mix which as Bruce has said isn't always that different from the other. The top track for me is For The Greater Good Of God a centerpiece of the album and an amazing massive track. The Longest Day got me into the album with is amazing prechorus. Phenomenal.

1. Somewhere In Time
The guitar tone on this album is my favourite of any Maiden album, the 1-2 punch of Caught Somewhere In Time and Wasted Years is an amazing set which continues into Sea Of Madness wonderfully. Heaven Can Wait is epic. Stranger In A Strange Land is phenomenal with a stellar solo. Wasted Years is easily my favourite song by Maiden, Adrian did an amazing job writing this track. Alex the neverplayed is a strong closer. A great album start to finish.

A very interesting rating in video by a guy who hates 'No Prayer For The Dying' but who loves 'Somewhere In Time'... :oops:

Killers is f***ing awesome. All the lists here are wrong as that guy from the video. :lol:

Seriously you’ve got to appreciate this album. All the songs are f***ing great. Some of them were created and played even before the recording of the first album. They worked and still working great as live songs. The band was full of energy. They’re on fire. I wish they release a live album from that period someday.
I think most of the fans are looking for an epic song or two in every album. They are short songs and enjoyable album.

Back