"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gk1 you are getting into a very negative mindset even before the album is out. At this rate you will hate the song even before you put the disc into your player dude.

Travis, mate. I really like Dance of death (minus the meaningless 3 min intro) and most of The Legacy and the Talisman. However - yes I know I did not hear it yet - I suspect that The Book of Souls would most probably suffer from The Talisman syndrome. Meaning that -in my opinion - the specific song has some extra cool parts but I could do with 1-2 minutes less. And these would be taken off by the acoustic intro and the one too many chorus repetitions. And although this time the sole chorus repetition is not disturbing for me, it is repeated as a whole in 4-5 different sections. This makes a brilliant - otherwise - song being a bit boring after a while.

I see a bit of a pattern here. So the thing you really dislike is long passages of music with no vocals?

Travis, mate. I really like Dance of death (minus the meaningless 3 min intro) and most of The Legacy and the Talisman. However - yes I know I did not hear it yet - I suspect that The Book of Souls would most probably suffer from The Talisman syndrome. Meaning that -in my opinion - the specific song has some extra cool parts but I could do with 1-2 minutes less. And these would be taken off by the acoustic intro and the one too many chorus repetitions. And although this time the sole chorus repetition is not disturbing for me, it is repeated as a whole in 4-5 different sections. This makes a brilliant - otherwise - song being a bit boring after a while.

I find it peculiar that you're speaking as though you somehow have more knowledge than another Maiden fan with regard to a song you have yet to hear. Also, you seem to phrase a lot of your opinions and speculation as though they are fact. Do try to remember that we are talking about music, which is (arguably) the most subjective art form.
Don't get me wrong, I actually agree with some of your opinions (especially your unpopular view on Brave New World) but lets be honest, your opinion and speculation has no more merit than anyone else on this board, especially when what you say seems to be an attempt to blunt other peoples enthusiasm/opinions for the coming album and those that have come before.

I do enjoy reading your perspective...but maybe try to add to a discussion/debate rather than bring down other peoples excitement/obscure their own opinion.

I see a bit of a pattern here. So the thing you really dislike is long passages of music with no vocals?

If they are done without adding anything to the song! However I do not actually mean that. But then again who cares?!

Gk1 you are getting into a very negative mindset even before the album is out. At this rate you will hate the song even before you put the disc into your player dude.

Not really. Just trying to dissect why Maiden lost their MoJo.

I wonder how long it will take for Metal Hammer to become available abroad (Sweden). Is there any chance they send copies out before hand (like they do with cds to record stores).. probably a long shot.

One more thing from the interview:

Doesn't really sound right with an Eastern sound in a song inspired by Mayan history?

Eastern sound was probably a reference to the eastern shores of the Mayan Kingdom on the Yucatan peninsula where the music scene was more laid back, or more sun-bleached you could say, than the hip urban politically-charged sounds that emerged from the Chiapas region around the same period.

"If Eternity Should Fail opens The Book of Souls with space-age blues vocal and mystical synth fanfare".. Ha ha! Finally, we have an album to base the "Iron Maiden on Ice"-experience!

Hey I'm back in the forum, after a whle...I tried downloading the Metal Hammer new issue on the app and is is till not available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back