Speed of Light - Official Music Video Thread

This music video was the music video equivalent of Derek Riggs' album cover for Somewhere in Time. There are so many references to the band's history in this music video! And as a gamer myself, I loved that whole element of the video itself too.

Also, was anyone else thinking of Ed Hunter while they were watching this?

I said it once, but I LOVE THIS VIDEO!!! But too bad some of the younger generation won't get the usage of the old school type video games.

That's an awesome clip.

As for the music: It's very Rock N' Roll-ish. I didn't expect that from Maiden at this stage in their career.

Honestly? One song in this style is fine, but if the entire album sounds like this I'm afraid it will sound like a washed up attempt to "go back to their roots", which I really hate in bands of their caliber (see Judas Priest)

I love that sound. Deep Purple + Iron Maiden live + Bruce solo = SOL? For me - YES! Video is awesome, best in their history. If BOS is like this - I'm sold. And I was my whole life on fence (JP vs IM) after ROS... answer is simple.

I wouldn't necessarily think so, Travis. I'm one of the "younger generation" and I was able to tell what each section of the video was. If people are gamers, whether they're 40 or 20, they're more than likely going to at least *know* of the older games. May not have played them, but I'm sure recognize them.

I wouldn't necessarily think so, Travis. I'm one of the "younger generation" and I was able to tell what each section of the video was. If people are gamers, whether they're 40 or 20, they're more than likely going to at least *know* of the older games. May not have played them, but I'm sure recognize them.
Ya, it all depends. Plus, they have those all in one systems with a ton of games built in so that helps. Either way, A SUPER AMAZING SONG AND VIDEO!!!

I really think this song is fantastic, I'm more hyped than ever for the new album now, Bruce'Ones vocals are out of this world and I loved the solo.

Something I was wondering though, do you think the video was inspired by the Maiden artwork at Comiccon that was posted a while back?

10409241_10152902561812051_2513641992078561414_n.jpg

I suspect the vid would have been conceived a while ago. It handily ties in with the artwork, though

I am a bit tired of these animated videos. I think they look too childish and take away from the music.

This music video was the music video equivalent of Derek Riggs' album cover for Somewhere in Time. There are so many references to the band's history in this music video! And as a gamer myself, I loved that whole element of the video itself too.

Also, was anyone else thinking of Ed Hunter while they were watching this?

Ditto this! I really enjoyed the progression from 80's to 00's games, got a little nostalgic for Mortal Kombat there too.
My immediate thought was that they'll make a game available on the website perhaps like they've done for other albums.
I think every album was represented in some way in the video as well, it was like Easter eggs all over the place! (although I gotta go through again and see if I can catch Dance of Death).

For the actual song, it is a bit reminiscent of El Dorado, it's ok but I'm not super impressed. The production sounds good though and Bruce sounds fine too.
I think (and hope) that the rest of the album won't be like this, judging by the lengths alone.

I'm just going to post all my thoughts on the song as well as the video here.

Definitely enjoying it, but not blown away. It’s a solid rocker with a lot of energy.

I love the music video. When I first saw the CGI Eddie, I was worried this was going to be another Wildest Dreams. But the minute we got to the 16 bit game, I new things were going to be okay.

During some of the verses, everything seems to add up to something just a little shy of being right. I don’t know how to explain it, I’m not a musician and I don’t have the vocabulary for these types of things. All I can say is, at moments it feels like less than the sum of it’s parts, because the parts although good, don’t quit fit together. Whether that’s from the mixing, vocal melody, or guitar melody, I couldn’t say.

Pros:
  1. Cowbell.
  2. Bruce’s scream.
  3. The Deep Purple vibe.
  4. The overall energy.
  5. That intro.
  6. Production feels a step up from TFF.
  7. Nicko on top form.
  8. The Echo on Bruce’s voice gives me so much hope for this album.
  9. Did I mention the cowbell?
Cons:
  1. Dave’s solo.
  2. Dave’s solo overlapping with the end of the chorus.
  3. The Lyrics are a bit cheese in the verses.
  4. Under utilization of the three guitars.
  5. “SSTTAARRSS!!” - Man that’s high, it kind of hurts the ears. (But also super impressive.)
  6. The two cockups. The first one around 2:17, the other after the solo.

As far as post-reunion singles go, it’s defiantly better than El Dorado, Different World, and Wildest Dreams. It will take time before I know how well it holds up against, Wicker Man, Silent Planet, Benny B, and Rainmaker.

El Dorado was my first thought, too, although after first few listens I prefer this to El Dorado. The gaming theme in the vid is going to be a great selling point to new fans, I think.

Likewise. Hell, my younger cousin by about a decade surprised me by understanding a subtle joke involving a game that I used to play as a kid. Before she was born. Plenty of people are interested and aware of classic games, I think.

Ditto this! I really enjoyed the progression from 80's to 00's games, got a little nostalgic for Mortal Kombat there too.
My immediate thought was that they'll make a game available on the website perhaps like they've done for other albums.
I think every album was represented in some way in the video as well, it was like Easter eggs all over the place! (although I gotta go through again and see if I can catch Dance of Death).

For the actual song, it is a bit reminiscent of El Dorado, it's ok but I'm not super impressed. The production sounds good though and Bruce sounds fine too.
I think (and hope) that the rest of the album won't be like this, judging by the lengths alone.

I think the last game was definitely a deliberate nod to the Book of Souls album itself. Might even be a bit of a glimpse at what to expect for the stage in the live shows next year! :) I'd dig a Mayan pyramid with skull-filled stairways.

Back