Slayer

Title track
When did their lyrics get so unimaginative? I don't mind profanity in music (it can be very effective if done right) but here it just sounds lazy, as if they're just filling syllables. Lame.

Good song otherwise though.

Hanneman and Araya always wrote cool lyrics, King's lyrics just dumbed down as the years went by.

Asked about the title of SLAYER's forthcoming album, "Repentless", Kerry said: "I made [the word] up. I didn't realize I made it up. I mean, it seemed like a word to me, and then I looked it up and it wasn't there. [Laughs]"
He continued: "To me, 'repentless,' you know, is, basically, having no regrets, not looking back and saying, 'I wish I should have done things differently.' 'Repentless' is meaning I have no reason to repent."

I genuinely didn't know it wasn't a word :D

Speaking of Slayer, going to go see them tomorrow for the first time since the early 90s (Divine Intervention tour I think).

Should be cool

Looking forward to this album, I've been a Slayer fan since 1992 when they played Donington, so I'm interested in hearing how it'll sound without Jeff. I'm liking what I've heard so far, so I think it'll be a good album

Delusions Of Saviour: Cool intro.
Repentless: Cool opener, but still 3rd weakest Slayer opener (only better than Bitter Piece and Killing Fields).
Take Control: "I despise the mediocrity."
Vices: "Let's get high!"? Are you serious with this chorus? Embarassing.
Cast The First Stone: Tolerable, but not really interesting.
When The Stilness Comes: This one is cool too, at least they tried something different here. Or more accurately, Kerry tried something different, I think he wrote the whole album.
Chasing Death: :yawn:
Implode: Just OK.
Piano Wire: :yawn:
Atrocity Vendor: Already heard the original version of this one that was used as a bonus on one of the singles from the previous album, and it's way better than this version.
You Against You: :yawn:
Pride In Prejudice: :yawn:

Overall: :yawn:/10. Also Bostaph is such a boring drummer. Lombardo's absence is quite noticeable. Still I'd like to see them live again, old stuff is still awesome live even without Jeff and Lombardo.

Love it. The only track that didn't click with me at first is the Hanneman penned Piano Wire but it has grown on me. 5/5 but still behind Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood but ahead of God Hates Us All. I give them all 5/5 too.

Meh bought it for the bluray and I regret doing it . Another bad slayer album . The only good one in the last 20 years is "Christ illusion" . Now they have , for whatever reason, returned to the DIM/GHUA days with the fucking horrible downtuned , "heavy" guitars that were popular........in the nineties . I hate just about every band that has used this sound , machine head, biohazard, pantera you name it . The few Holt solos are so much better than KK's . Bostaph is boring and ...slow ( in the fast songs where he is supposed to play ...fast ) . Some songs like "When the stillness comes " seem incomplete , for some reason , like they forgot to record the second part of the song or something .

I'd say " a faster version of GHUA " describes this album perfectly . If WPB didn't have this awful production it would definitely be better than this .

Can I have the new Dark Angel album NOW , please ?

The few(!) Holt solos are so much better than KK's .
That says it all, doesn't it? The best is still seen as a hired hand (or new guy) and therefore quality is less important than ego (and quantity). Holt totally owned when I saw Slayer last year. Still haven't heard the album, but I am getting less interested.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion incoming....But it's a shame how Slayer has turned into the numero uno, douchebag, fist bumping "bro" band. Not sure when this happened, probably around God Hates us All or ever since Kerry King started running the band.

Unpopular opinion incoming....But it's a shame how Slayer has turned into the numero uno, douchebag, fist bumping "bro" band. Not sure when this happened, probably around God Hates us All or ever since Kerry King started running the band.
Yeah this is the curse that pantera brought in metal, this american style of stupid "bro" lyrics with an influence from the southern U.S combined with a downtuned guitar sound that has no melody whatsoever . Fortunately this movement died around 2000 and most traditional metal bands abandoned this sound . This cancer had plagued even bands like Judas Priest (jugulator ) . Thank God that Harris is stubborn , I'd take the blaze era albums over crap like "jugulator" every time .

Diabolous in Musica probably set that whole thing off for Slayer. I don't actually have anything against groove metal as such. There's some fine albums in that genre. It's just Slayer seems dumber than usual on their latest albums. Also, look at the video I posted above "The Making of Repentless music video" Kerry King is all like..."Yeah violence huh-huh, headbanging hehe, metal huhuh" while Tom Araya just looks like a dude that is just too old to be doing this shit anymore :D:D

I kind of liked Jugulator to be honest with you. Brutal album with excellent vocals.

I just read an interview with KK on Blabbermouth, and I must say that this guy can still surprise me.

"The day Jeff passed away was strange and extremely surreal. I knew Jeff was in the hospital, I knew Jeff was in bad shape, but no one expected Jeff to go that quick. And that day, I went to rehearsal. So I get to the studio and answered my phone, and my tour manager called me, and I knew immediately. 'Cause he said, 'Jeff's gone.' And it wasn't a question; I knew exactly what he meant. And I was stunned, I was surprised — horribly surprised. But at the end of the day, I knew it was coming; I just didn't know it was coming that soon. So I got off the phone and I went inside. It was me and Paul Bostaph [drums] rehearsing that day. And I said, 'Hey, man. I've gotta tell you something.' I said, 'Jeff's not with us.' And the way I said it, Paul was, like, 'What do you mean?' I'm, like, 'Jeff's gone.' That's how it went. And we rehearsed, because we're diligent about that; we had stuff to rehearse for." :blink::blink::blink:
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slayers-kerry-king-the-day-jeff-hanneman-died/#ZFPIDdCQm8zISKeS.99

Back