'women In Uniform'

Finally! Fuch yeah me too! The guitars are completely different. They hold out longer between changes. The drums are different. And it's clearly a different vocal take. No amount of compression could affect a vocal take in such a drastic way. It's a completely different take.

The negative comments made me second guess myself. My first purest impression was that it was an alternate take. Never again will I let naysayers influence what I know to be true. Now that I've accomplished my dream and have overcome my insecurities I feel I could take on the universe and unravel the secrets of the pyramids. And I'm gonna be jammin' powerslave while I do it.

I like this song, but never heard the original. Cool chorus and lyrics, a bit tame verses and a funny music video.

7/10

My impression of this song must've been different the first time I heard it. Chorus is good, and the video is great, but I'm not as impressed with this song as I once was. 6/10

Now I've just gotta hunt down an original pressing to hear what take they used.

I only discovered the existence of this version thanks to luisma's book.

I can confirm having checked my vinyls that this familiar version:

is on, the UK 7 and 12 Inch, on the German "Special Live EP", and on the Japanese and Greek Live +Ones. It's also on the Australian LP of Killers.

This 2014 version:

seems to be only on that, and I suspect they've just made a mistake and released the wrong mix from the master tapes.

Skyhooks - Woman in Uniform on Countdown 1978. Covered by Iron Maiden two years later in October 1980.

Countdown was a weekly Australian music televison program from 1974 until 1987. According to Wiki it was the most popular music program in Australian TV history.

Back