Favorite Maiden song you've never seen live

Journeyman

I was robbed of seeing it.
I made the trek to NY in 2004 to see the Dance of Death tour.
After a 12 hour bus ride there. And all the headaches involved. Some idiot threw a beer on the soundboard so we got no encore :censored:

And, to make a bad situation worse, it then took us 20 hours to get home.

An alternate thought... least favorite Maiden song you have seen live?

For me, The Mercenary.
Probably Can I Play With Madness. Not that it's necessarily the worst song I've seen played, but in terms of working in a live setting I think it falls flat.

I don't have all that many to go on, but probably Revelations. Not a song that's ever caught my imagination much, and although it made some of the 80s Maiden-lovers happy, I don't think it came across all that well. Maybe I was just underwhelmed because I'd hoped for something much more exciting when they swapped out a couple of songs from the 2013 setlist.

An alternate thought... least favorite Maiden song you have seen live?

For me, The Mercenary.

Here it gets harder, because I never listen to the album versions of "The Number of the Beast", "Running Free" or "Iron Maiden". I'm zero excited when I see them in a setlist, and also fast-forward through them on any DVD. But looking at the response they get live and how the band performs them, I have to admit they work very well and you could even catch me singing along to certain parts.

I don't have all that many to go on, but probably Revelations. Not a song that's ever caught my imagination much, and although it made some of the 80s Maiden-lovers happy, I don't think it came across all that well.

I like it for the fact that they made the G.K. Chesterton-hymn into a heavy-metal song. Pretty cool.

Hey, they're singing Iron Maiden! :p

My thought on revelations; I love the album version. But have never liked the way it sounds live. Always too fast and lacking. I've seen this "pretentious" criticism of the song before. And that I don't get. It is deep and beautiful. The lyrics and vocals are profound and fit perfectly, IMO. I've always thought 2 of the piece of mind classics , revelations, trooper...just don't translate perfectly live.

Never considered it pretentious or unoriginal, I'm just underwhelmed by it, both studio and live. Most of the 2014 show was blistering, but Revelations is comparatively pedestrian. It worked well putting Trooper on straight after it, though, it give Trooper double the impact. I agree, though, Bornless1, although Trooper is a massive crowd-pleaser live, there's something up with it. It has a tendency towards rushed and frantic. Maybe those with more finely tuned ears can shed some light on that.

Never considered it pretentious or unoriginal, I'm just underwhelmed by it, both studio and live. Most of the 2014 show was blistering, but Revelations is comparatively pedestrian. It worked well putting Trooper on straight after it, though, it give Trooper double the impact. I agree, though, Bornless1, although Trooper is a massive crowd-pleaser live, there's something up with it. It has a tendency towards rushed and frantic. Maybe those with more finely tuned ears can shed some light on that.
I love Revelations live, but I agree with your previous statement that they could've chosen a better "And NOW for something completely different!" song for 2014 (COUGH Infinite COUGH Dreams COUGH COUGH).

Regarding your thoughts on The Trooper... Steve always rushes, and Nicko used to be right there with him, pushing the tempo faster and faster. Now, with Nicko's new "restrained" style of playing, the instrumental parts of the song are slower. Bruce, who has had to sing the breaks in the first verse at breakneck speed to keep up for the past 30 years, ends up singing closer to the old, speedy live tempo. Sounds a bit funky to my ears. I prefer how they used to play it in the mid-2000s.

I always guessed Infinite Dreams was wishing for too much, but god, that would have been good. Revelations felt a somehow overly safe option. I was sad to lose ATSS too.

The Talisman is my least favourite Maiden song that I have seen live. Live, it was an interesting (and better) experience, but this is still my least favourite Maiden song, that I happened to have seen live.

Others that come close? Wildest Dreams and No More Lies come to mind.

Back