Judas Priest

I appreciate the reviews! They do try to show the good things about the new album, but they also reveal painful matters. To be honest I am (still) not enthousiastic about getting it soon. (Although, I certainly would like to have that deluxe version, and I am not sure how long that is available.)

Especially Halford's lack of screaming puts me off; it feels as if it makes the band toothless. For years I've said that Priest is my favourite band next to Maiden, but these samples don't give me an idea that I am going to like it (much). By the way, Saap, your rating feels a little high to me, after reading what you said.

In that case, I could've been a little harsh with my words although I don't think I was. I just rated every song on a scale of 1-10 and divided the result by 13. Ratings ranged from 6 (March of the Damned, Crossfire) to 9 (Battle Cry, Down in Flames). You shouldn't be worried, Foro, it's a good album, the samples leave a worse impression of the album than it really is.

When you sign up at the Priest tickets page, it asks for your country. Just a theory but maybe they will decide on EU (and other) dates based on the amount of sign-uppers in a certain country.

Overall, I'm loving it as well. My personal favorite is Halls Of Valhalla. To me, the production has a bit of a flat and boring sound, but I can overlook that since the songs themselves are pretty good. But damn Rob for teasing us with those Painkiller type screams! If only he would do just 1 song singing like that all the way through.

Overall, I'm loving it as well. My personal favorite is Halls Of Valhalla. To me, the production has a bit of a flat and boring sound, but I can overlook that since the songs themselves are pretty good. But damn Rob for teasing us with those Painkiller type screams! If only he would do just 1 song singing like that all the way through.

Maybe on the bonus tracks? ;) Probably not, but we can hope.

Maybe on the bonus tracks? ;) Probably not, but we can hope.

Well, Glenn said the bonus tracks were different to the rest of the album, which is why they are bonus tracks, as opposed to regular album tracks. It can't be that they allude to 70's Priest, because there are elements of that already on the album. lol A couple of the bonus tracks are just over 3 minutes, so hopefully they will be high velocity screamers, but again, I'm sceptical about that being the case! :p

Halford says controversy over Dickinson's teleprompter comments is much ado about nothing
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ha...s-much-ado-about-nothing/#i5LjwKSPvIyYoYio.99

Lol:
"I never realized that people were using autocues," Dickinson told The Guardian in a recent interview. "What the fuck is that all about? People pay good money and you can't even remember the sodding words."

He continued: "The daftest one I ever saw was [JUDAS PRIEST's] 'Breaking The Law'. It's on the fucking autocue. 'Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law' — guess what? — 'breaking the law.' It's ludicrous."

OK I caved and am six songs into a pirated version, just skimming.
This is fucking awesome. Right down my alley. The three songs I hadn't heard before are better than the three I had already heard, and I liked the first three.
It's at the crossroads of Hell Bent and Defenders.

OK, my enthusiasm has been tempered a bit.
Not because the album got worse, but because I didn't want to get carried away from an initial impression.
It's not fucking awesome in a Painkiller sense. It's only fucking awesome if you are like me and don't hear enough new music that sounds like this anymore.
The nuances are going to take a while to sink in.

But my initial impression is this:
It's got good hooks and good flow from track to track; it's cohesive, yet has good variety. Drums are too muted in the mix and Rob is too processed, but I like the guitar sound.
The performances are not peak Priest, but their mastery of the art of metal is there.
If you are hoping Priest would break new ground or go full-throttle Painkiller again, you will be disappointed.
But if you like most of what they've done over the years and are thirsty for a good basic metal album you can happily play through from start to finish, you will love it.

Priest sure knows how to pick their closing tracks. Brilliant.

Rob being too processed? Meh, it's only in March of the Damned. The rest is typical reverb and delay shit - And besides, Rob has always had a bit of phaser and other shit going on at times.

Edit: I think it is a very good and solid Priest record. Only problem is the production which takes away a lot from the experience. Shame. There are some excellent tunes here, bulked together with a bunch of solid ones as well.

Last edited:
Bought the new Judas Priest today. After one listen, I'm really loving it! Like Mckindog says, it's a great basic Metal album and that's really all I ask for with Priest. Sure, sometimes they've gone above and beyond (Painkiller) and that's not the case here, but they still know how to write great Metal, so I'm happy. Definitely better than Nostradamus and I'd say on par with Angel of Retribution, although none of the songs are at the level of Judas Rising imo. Judas Priest is really good at delivering exactly what you'd expect from them, so if you go into this wanting a good Priest album, you'll be quite satisfied. Normally when a band says they're "chickening out" and going to do a "no risks" "back to basics" album, it doesn't come out very good, but I think that approach actually works for Priest. Usually when they take risks, we end up with albums like Turbo and Nostradamus. Which aren't necessarily bad, but not really what I want from Priest.

The bonus disc is awesome, by the way. Totally worth the extra $3 or whatever. A couple of the songs rank among the best on the album I think. And whichever member of the band (Tipton I think?) was totally right when he said it's like its own album. It's like a bonus EP! Not that the songs are any different than what you get on the main disc, but it flows as it's own entity, the way an album would, rather than a bunch of a bonus songs tacked on at the end. Never Forget also works better as a closing ballad than Beginning of the End, which didn't really grab me.

Initial highlights: Dragonaught, Redeemer of Souls, Valhalla, March of the Damned, Metalizer, Secrets of the Dead, Snakebite, Creatures.

I'll give a more in depth review when it's time for this album in the discography thread. Hopefully by then it'll have sunk in.

Judas Rising, I find that an unimaginative song. If none of it is on that level: Should I be happy or sad?

Bought the new Judas Priest today. After one listen, I'm really loving it! Like Mckindog says, it's a great basic Metal album and that's really all I ask for with Priest.
Hmm, I am not sure if I would ask that from Priest. Strange to read Mosh saying he loves a basic metal album. Good that Priest doesn't take risks? Are we giving in to that attitude? What's going on here?

I'll still buy the album, but I find it hard to believe all this positivity. I need to find that out myself.

Judas Rising is one of my favorite Priest tracks. It floored me the first time I heard it. I didn't get the same feeling from anything on this album, but that's not to say it's bad, few songs have elicited such a reaction.

Hmm, I am not sure if I would ask that from Priest. Strange to read Mosh saying he loves a basic metal album.
I don't understand. What's wrong with that? Am I not allowed to enjoy both complicated and basic music?

Good that Priest doesn't take risks? Are we giving in to that attitude? What's going on here?
I wouldn't say giving in. If not taking risks results in a good album then I don't have a problem with it. Taking risks doesn't automatically make something good. Priest has refined their skills for writing good Metal and I don't blame them if they want to stick with their bread and butter. Especially when their past experimentation had lackluster results.

You seem to be attacking my positivity for this album yet you haven't even listened to it yourself. Apparently you've already written it off. Why not hear the album first and then pass judgement?

I am disappointed by Priest's attitude. But I'll get it as soon as possible. I don't think it's out yet (here at least).

It's not out here (the UK) until July 14th, but I was able to open a US ITunes store account through "the back door" as it were, and I just bought it a few minutes ago! lol Give my thoughts on the bonus disc very soon. :)

Back