Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

My soon to be ex-friend is ruining everything and I can't take her shit anymore.
My fault for being too nice and trusting people.

I know exactly what you mean. It can be very tough but I hope it's going to turn out as good as possible. I took a lot of crap from someone as well and got enough of it last summer. One year has pretty much been enough to forget and forgive but I don't want to see her again. Gave me a good life lesson though.

Thanks, guys... Should've gone to Fortarock or some other Maiden concert instead of spending money on this... But my heart will go on... (NP in the restaurant :p)

I have, last time I traveled out of the EU. It's completely insignificant within.

You realize, of course, that Chi-town is MY town. Where will you be staying?

Eat a hot dog while you're there. You owe it to yourself to eat at the Wiener's Circle on Clark St. -- get the Char Cheddar Dog. Avoid Portillo's, it's a tourist trap.

Thanks for the tips! I'll make an effort to do that! I'm staying in Schaumburg. The hotel is right by the training facility (right off 290). My son is living in Aurora, and tomorrow (Mondaay) he is doing an act at a comedy club (amateur night) so I'm going over there to see that. I want to get out and around to see some stuff... I've not had the chance to see much the last couple of times I was here.

@Wästed The Great - Schaumburg is a slight hike from Chicago, but the city is still very accessible. If I could recommend two places to eat they'd be these:

Kuma's Corner - Heavy metal, beer, and the best burgers you'll ever eat. The Iron Maiden burger is delicious! If you're strapped for time, definitely go to Kuma's Too (their second location) as the wait time will be significantly less.

Pequod's Pizza - There's a lot of talk about a lot of Chicago pizza, but this place is the absolute best. They caramelize cheese right into the crust of their deep dish, and it's a delicious. The thin crust is amazing, too, and the vegetables are the freshest I've ever seen on a pizza.

Awesome, thanks!!

I figure I'll have 2 free evenings, tuesday and thursday-- maybe friday, if I don't mind getting home late. But classes get over at 4:30pm, so should have plenty of time to check out some of that stuff!

I wish I had more time to see things!!

You absolutely should have enough time to get around. Since you're strapped for time, definitely skip the original Kuma's Corner and go to Kuma's Too, the wait times at the original location have been known to exceed 3 hours. It's a great, cramped, loud, very Chicago experience, but it'll eat up a whole night.

Have fun, it's an amazing city to explore!

If you're talking Chicago pizza, I recommend Lou Malnati's for deep dish, but you can't go wrong with Geno's (bearfan's suggestion) or Pequod's (Knick's suggestion). But, even better than all of these is the STUFFED pizza (crust on top and bottom, sausage swimming in cheese in between) at Giordanos. Eduardo's has good stuffed pizza too.

Those are all pretty touristy (well, not Pequod's). If you want to go where the locals go, a little farther North of the main tourist spots, I really like Stanley's on Lincoln and Armitage in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. Good comfort food restaurant in the back, and the front is a cool, casual bar, where my brother first met his wife. Maybe a younger crowd than you, but screw it. Another non-touristy suggestion for dinner is Mia Francesca, which is in Lakeview on Clark a short walk south of Wrigley Field.

Also, I highly recommend the Art Institute of Chicago, which is downtown near Grant Park. One of the great art museums in the world.

But again, I cannot emphasize strongly enough how essential a visit to Wieners Circle is to any Chicago trip, no matter how short.

OK, so I'm aiming for some good pizza and a hot dog joint! I may try the pizza suggestion tomorrow night and hit the Wieners Circle Friday afternoon (rumor is we are out at 2:30 on Friday!)

Back