Gates of Tomorrow

How good is Gates of Tomorrow on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

In the song 'Gates Of Tomorrow', there's a mention about being "trapped in the web". I discussed this recently with a friend and we came up with two different interpretations of what this could mean.

My opinion is that it could be a reference to the World Wide Web, whereas he thought that it was a reference to the Web of Life. Both ideas seem plausible, but I'd like more opinions about this before I post my commentary about the song.

Anyone has any idea out there?

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Most sources say it's about Internet. Don't know how reliable they are though as it's likely they've simply copied each other.

Are the Dance of Death commentaries coming up soon by the way?

'gates Of Tomorrow'

well, even if it is about life, they can't have written it without nodding a bit to the internet hidden refferance.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Sep 18 2003, 01:12 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Sep 18 2003, 01:12 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Most sources say it's about Internet. Don't know how reliable they are though as it's likely they've simply copied each other.

Are the Dance of Death commentaries coming up soon by the way?[/quote]
The Commentary's updates unfortunately take more time than I can afford. I try to do my best but the best virtue of my visitors is patience [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I have plenty of ideas for new pages and stuff, but I have hardly any time to implement the lot. Just as an appetiser, just know that I plan to add (on top of finishing the commentary on Dance of Death):

- a page with young unsigned bands
- a bootlegs section with commentaries on the bootlegs I have
- a tribute section dealing with the tribute albums that have been released so far
- maybe even a section with photos and details of visitors who are proud to come to the Commentary and want to show it off... [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

But like I said: be patient [!--emo&:angel:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrinangelA.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrinangelA.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'gates Of Tomorrow'

It sounds to me like it could be a metaphor to both...but I think mostly the Net man.

BTW, the first four commentaries are rocking!

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Well, thanks!

Some wouldn't agree with you though...

'gates Of Tomorrow'

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Sep 20 2003, 04:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Sep 20 2003, 04:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Well, thanks!

Some wouldn't agree with you though... [/quote]
Well, I like them, cos I almost always agree with you!

'gates Of Tomorrow'

I do have to wonder, how the hell do you come up with the time to do the page? It's just great to see you put so much time and effort into what I would consider a hobby. The commentaries, agree with them or not, are well done and well written, specially since you added pictures to them. The commentary page should become the Official Iron Maiden page!

'gates Of Tomorrow'

It won't. There's too much opinions. Maiden cannot rank their own songs on the official website. Even if I wouldn't mind seeing them put a crap mark on this one. Awful song [!--emo&:eww:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/ed_barf[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'ed_barf[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

They could have cut it from the album straight away along with New Frontier and Wildest Dreams. Worst Maiden song ever.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

[!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I recently read your commentary on The Gates Of Tommorow and its says it lacks originallity or w/e. I respect your opinion but I like this song. Also I'd like to put its lyrical meaning up for discussion.....Any ideas?

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Never miss an opportunity to bash this song, eh Shadow? [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I agree it is the least impressive song on DoD, but I still like it.
(Maybe it's because I'm an old Dokken fan from the 80s.)

My vote for worst Maiden song: as I've said before, The Angel And The Never-Ending-Choruses. But "worst" must be taken in perspective: I'd rather listen to TAATG 1000 times in a row than a single song by asinine bands like Slipknot.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

I think it's decent. Maiden's put out worse. The Apparition comes to mind. But SMX is right...the worst of Maiden is better than most music out there.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Yeah, Shadow, they could. But maybe there's something in GoT that you aren't seeing. I think so. Still don't think it's great. But it's decent.

As for New Frontier...

Let's say YOU'RE the drummer of the best metal band in the world. You've been with this band for say...oh...twenty years. And then you come up with a song, when everyone else in the band has written at least ten. How would you feel if it was cut from the album?

'gates Of Tomorrow'

New Frontier has one of my favorite riffs on the whole album, the riff right before the guitar solo which comes back again at the end. Short and simple but still with a lot of punch to it. The rest of the song is nothing special to me personally, but that bit is great.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Far from it.

LC, about leaving out Nicko's first song ever, I don't think that's relevant. Back in the eighties, Maiden (Steve) always maintained that if it isn't good enough, it won't go on the album, no matter who wrote it. Steve has always said that he never wanted Clive's first attempt at songwriting, Gangland, to go on Number of the Beast. Bruce and Adrian have both had lots of stuff refused. Why would Nicko be special?

'gates Of Tomorrow'

I think it has a good melody, and it is pretty catchy. I'm sure Shadow just needs to hear it another few times.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Gates of Tomorrow is one of the best songs on Dance of Death, imho. I've loved it from day one. I'm obviously a newbie here, so I've no idea how often Shadow and others have discussed its bad points. But I'm curious. What do ya'll think is wrong with this song?

As for the lyrics... I think the commentary is off the mark on this one. I think it's more a general argument about the perils of trusting religion to guide one's life. Really, the point at which the song comes out and tells you what it's really about is the line "There isn't a god to save you if you don't save yourself." The speaker in the song wants to disrupt the power of religion to "deceive our eyes and delay our goals." That's what all the thread-cutting is about...

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Welcome aboard, zgodt!

Gates of Tomorrow, musically, doesn't speak to as many people as say...Paschendale. I haven't had the chance to give the lyrics a good listen, like I've done for some other songs. (See No More Lies for an example of what I do). But I love the chorus, I think it's catchy as hell. You could be right, I'll take a look at it someday with that in mind.

'gates Of Tomorrow'

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Feb 9 2004, 03:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Feb 9 2004, 03:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] GOT doesn't speak to me at all. Sorry.  [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
But why, if you don't mind my asking? You said it's their worst song ever, but I can think of some real dreck that it has to compete with for that title. So it goes beyond "not speaking to you"; clearly it annoys you. What's wrong with it?

'gates Of Tomorrow'

Silly intro, boring mood, sleepy lyrics, horrible chorus... [!--emo&:rolleyes2:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes[2].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes[2].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back