"Cinematic" metal

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I see a lot of metal music being described as "cinematic" and I have no idea what it's supposed to mean.

Can someone explain it or post his/hers definition?

Discuss!

I wouldn't use the term (or genre) cinematic metal (I guess the genre doesn't exist), but the term cinematic gives me thoughts of

Music with bombastic, epic, sountracky parts.

Epica comes to mind. Their music is (partly) influenced by Hans Zimmer.
Nightwish.

Rhapsody (of or not of Fire) have described their music as "Hollywood Metal". Back in an interview I read ten years ago.

I wouldn't use the term (or genre) cinematic metal (I guess the genre doesn't exist)
Yeah, I just needed a thread title :p

So I guess metal can't be cinematic unless it has keyboards/orchestrations? All of the music mentioned here has them...

I just see cinematic as meaning music that evokes sweeping, motion picture style imagery.
You know, like the Trooper just sounds like a desperate ride on horseback through a hail of bullets.

This is definitely cinematic. Orchestra arrangement is crazy, no one comes close to Septicflesh when it comes to integrating real orchestra with metal:

Luca Turilli’s Rhapsody labeled themself Cinematic metal when they started up in 2011. They did two albums, and they are pretty good in my opinion

Back