Based on how this is worded, we very well could get a 90's history tour.

Rush is still doing excellent (musically; I think the vocals get worse) and they play at least as demanding music. I don't see Peart getting in trouble soon. Maybe Maiden should go to Canada and ask some advice on how to prolong their career with another decade.

Nicko is older than Neil.

Rush and especially Peart had that break for obvious reasons but I don't think that drummers can continue longer in their life if they take some years off.

In general, perhaps a break is useful, to recharge batteries, but that's more mentally. Physically, I don't think a drummer has less years to go, if he keeps playing.

Not sure if a lengthy break would do Nicko any good. At least, not at this (st)age anymore. He needs to keep going to stay in shape and play at least some shows every year.

Last edited:
Agreed. If anything, a break for any sort of musician is going to have negative effects physically. It's pretty amazing that Peart came back playing at the level he was at on VT.

I've read some recent statement by Lee about Peart getting really tired, because of the very long shows and rehearsals. This is something that should be taken into account if one wants to compare Maiden and Rush. Rush shows are way longer, and I'm sure they rehearse harder. Obviously, though, Lee doesn't run around like Harry and Dickinson.

This. Bruce can probably keep it going for many more years. Not so sure Nicko can, and I really think they will call it a day when he can't keep up any more. So, the time window for future tours isn't that many years.
The possibility of going on with a different drummer also exists. I wouldn't have a problem with it since the drumming isn't super crucial to their main sound and I think Nicko and the other band members would be cool with it as well. And even if the band does decide to call it quits after 2 or 3 more years, I bet anything that Bruce will put out a couple more solo albums.

The possibility of going on with a different drummer also exists. I wouldn't have a problem with it since the drumming isn't super crucial to their main sound and I think Nicko and the other band members would be cool with it as well. And even if the band does decide to call it quits after 2 or 3 more years, I bet anything that Bruce will put out a couple more solo albums.
I can't even begin to fathom how you can believe that Nicko's drumming isn't crucial to Iron Maiden's sound.

Rush and especially Peart had that break for obvious reasons but I don't think that drummers can continue longer in their life if they take some years off.

In general, perhaps a break is useful, to recharge batteries, but that's more mentally. Physically, I don't think a drummer has less years to go, if he keeps playing.
I'm sure that Neil Peart kept playing when Rush were taking a break since drumming is kind of his life. :p

Hmm, I don't think so. When he lost his wife and child (the cause of the break) I think he didn't play for a long time. He went out traveling and wrote about it. The epilogue of that book Ghost Rider (his first) ends with Neil summing up what has recently happened with him and his band Rush. He explains his new love for life (including his new wife Carrie) and how he has almost had a revelation of some sort and ultimately found a reason to live. He explains that he found a will to continue his career with Rush in Toronto as well.

I remember interviews about the recording of the first album since the break and they went difficult. It was a mental process but I guess it also took long because Neil didn't play for so long. If he really played (a bit) or not, I am not sure (maybe it's in the book), but I think he didn't.

I still would like to read that book.

Fair enough. I don't know a great deal about the history of Rush and assumed that they took a break for the sake of taking a break.

No problem. From wiki:
Soon after the conclusion of Rush's Test for Echo Tour on July 4, 1997, Peart's first daughter and then-only child, 19-year-old Selena Taylor, was killed in a single-car accident on Highway 401 near the town of Brighton, Ontario, on August 10, 1997. His common-law wife of 22 years, Jacqueline Taylor, succumbed to cancer only 10 months later on June 20, 1998. Peart cites her death to the result of a "broken heart" and called it "a slow suicide by apathy. She just didn't care."

In his book Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road, Peart writes that he told his bandmates at Selena's funeral, "consider me retired." Peart took a long sabbatical to mourn and reflect, and traveled extensively throughout North and Central America on his motorcycle, covering 88,000 km (55,000 mi). After his journey, Peart decided to return to the band. Peart wrote the book as a chronicle of his geographical and emotional journey.

Seemed like the whole band took a break from music in general during that period.

i will be upset if they dont do a 90s tour,i really like that era,and the concept of donington 92.If they are going to revisit his history the have to end when past meets present or until reunión.IMO

Back