Maiden continuing without Nicko - right or wrong?

Nicko was the one who said that they don't play the old stuff as fast as they used to because they can't keep up with themselves any more - I think that interview is posted elsewhere on the forum (but I'm not looking for it now). I don't think he's the only one though, I'm pretty sure one of the others has said it more recently, maybe Bruce. But if they have slowed it down a bit now it certainly doesn't sound any worse for it, not to me at least.

The thing is (going back to the original point), one of the significant factors that makes Maiden what they are is the incredibly strong raport between Nicko and Steve. It would be possible for them to keep going without him but it wouldn't be the same band - would it still be essentially Maiden any more?

I've noticed Nicko's differences in playing on this tour as well: when I saw them in Milwaukee, the clips from Download and RiR, and various Youtube videos. However, if you look at video of Nicko playing at Rock N' Roll Ribs, drum clinics, and other recent events on YouTube, he is clearly very capable of playing Maiden songs as fast as he wants. I think it's more of an issue of stamina for Bruce, and artistic choice for Adrian (as covered in history part 3). Yes, Nicko is not quite as energetic, punchy, or adventurous as he once was, but don't count him out yet. The fact that he's able to play the whole middle section of 7th Son (which involves some very fast, controlled, difficult hihat work), is clear evidence that he hasn't lost it. He's simply trying to be more restrained out of respect for his and the band's health and playing comfort.

Indeed, good points. And they've been been adapting setlists to help out H since the 80's too...

In what way?

I'm sure they all need a little help. Yes, they are all amazing musicians, but they're getting up there and probably can't play as fast (except maybe Janick, but I mean fast and clearly) as they once could.

I think it's more of an issue of stamina for Bruce, and artistic choice for Adrian (as covered in history part 3).

Indeed. The tempos at live shows during the late 80's/early 90's were insane. As a vocalist, it would be a pain in the ass to keep up. I'm sure trying to catch up to the band every night led to some intense fatigue for Bruce, and contributed to his decision to leave the band.

Honestly, I adore Nicko, if he were to leave Maiden or be otherwise incapacitated from drumming, I would feel the same way I felt when Clive Burr passed away last year. It would be a shame really. Only if Nicko himself left on his own will and insisted that the band continue without him would I be able to accept it if that were to happen.

I think it would be very difficult for the band if Nicko left. Could not see them going on without him. I wouldn't want them too.
No doubt they have slowed down live, although you don't really notice it live. Stands out more when you listen to the odd track on you tube. I expect its for the whole band, rather than anyone in particular. Sure Nic can play a few tracks at top speed, at his restaurant, but under the lights for 2 hours is a different story. And understandable.
Maybe why they cut Wrathchild. Having slowed everything else down a touch, there wasn't room for it.

In all seriousness, I don't think Maiden would quit simply if Nicko did.
Look at Slayer, Hanneman died, Lombardo quit (again), Slayer still tours.
Look at Judas Priest, KK quit, Priest still make albums (and tour a bit).
Frehley and Criss left Kiss (again), the band still tours.
I don't think Hanneman is any less important to Slayer or KK to Priest than NMcB to Maiden.

They didn't when Smith left. They didn't when Dickinson left.
I think Maiden goes on as long as 'Arry thinks he can play well enough. Or when he dies with his boots on.
Can you imagine 'Arry having a retirement?

With all due respect to Nicko, who's a great drummer and an important member of the band, it's hard to compare him with Hanneman, KK, H, Bruce, since he only co-wrote one album song during his 30 years in the band. It's different.

In what way?

Avoiding Alexander the Great because H "can't remember the solo"?

I think the decision on whether to continue with Nicko or not depends on whether the farewell tour is within a few years from now or not. In fact, I think that Steve has thought about what to do if any band member wants to leave (or can't keep up). And I'm sure he expects each of the other band members to be honest towards him regarding their health, telling him when they don't think they can keep up any more.

@Ariana True, but the members of Kiss and Priest are older and they still didn't quit their band.
I think Steve is VERY committed to the band and always has. He will retire only if there is no other choice, no replacements possible.
But that is simply my opinion, only Steve knows what he will do.

Well, two years ago, I wouldn't have believed Steve could be involved in a side project. Now he's touring with British Lion again and who knows, maybe they'll make another album too. What I meant in my previous post was that people change over time, so maybe Steve is less "hardcore" than we'd like to think he is these days.

If Nicko feels he can't go on because of his age, and Maiden call it a day - fine. We'll have the memories.
If Nicko feels he can't go on because of his age, and Maiden get a replacement - fine. We keep our band for a few more years.
If Nicko wants to go on, but the band and Rod think he can't and force a replacement on him (like Sabbath and Ward) - that would be a sad way for the band to go.

Maiden don't operate in a casual, see how things pan out, kind of way. They are a well organised business and I am sure that the remainder of their career is well planed, right down to the exit strategy. One more album and tour, Farewell tour... ? maybe, who knows, but I am sure that they will all be aware of the final plan, will have agreed to it and that there will be no line-up changes before they stop as an active band. Maiden as a business will continue after the band stop playing. Take the suggestion of the museum, the beer, further re packaged, re releases, previously un released live recordings etc... Zepplin are still bring stuff out now ! Changes now, would fly in the face of all the re-union, classic era re visited stuff they have been doing these last 9 or so years. This line up IS Maiden. It's just too late to get new blood in now.
Sure Steve will make further albums with British lion and tour as long as he can.

Maiden don't operate in a casual, see how things pan out, kind of way. They are a well organised business and I am sure that the remainder of their career is well planed, right down to the exit strategy. One more album and tour, Farewell tour... ? maybe, who knows, but I am sure that they will all be aware of the final plan, will have agreed to it and that there will be no line-up changes before they stop as an active band. Maiden as a business will continue after the band stop playing. Take the suggestion of the museum, the beer, further re packaged, re releases, previously un released live recordings etc... Zepplin are still bring stuff out now ! Changes now, would fly in the face of all the re-union, classic era re visited stuff they have been doing these last 9 or so years. This line up IS Maiden. It's just too late to get new blood in now.
Sure Steve will make further albums with British lion and tour as long as he can.

I agree they plan ahead, but not everything works out according to their plans. The SBIT tour was clearly intended to cover the era from Powerslave up to FOTD. The poster artwork and setlist reflected that. Why play Moonchild, Madness and The Clairvoyant if they knew that they were going to revisit the SSOASS stage set a few years later? I think the success of SBIT changed their plans.

Similarly, the whole band may have bought into a plan three years ago at the start of the ME tour.... Do the tour, record an album, tour the album, then a farewell tour.... BUT, Nicko at 59 wouldn't have been able to tell how Nicko at 63 could cope with touring and playing 2 hours of demanding material night after night.

For me, Steve, Bruce and H are the songwriting core of the band, and Dave is Dave. The band could survive the loss of Nicko or Janick, as sad as that would be.

Back