Why A Matter Of Life and Death is Iron Maidens best album

Im sorry but AMOLAD or any of the other reunion albums are not going to be remembered in comparison to the 80's recordings. If they are so vital with writing music today, why all the nostalgia tours? Come on, this thread is just fantasy.
I can assure you the thread itself is very real. If you think otherwise, you have watched The Matrix once too much.

Is AMOLAD Maiden's best album? Some obviously think so, hence the existence of the thread. I don't agree with that, I think SSOASS is, followed by Powerslave.

But to say the albums from 2000 onwards will not be remembered, that's just plain silly. They have all sold very well in a number of countries, that alone disproves your claim. You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else, but don't confuse opinion and fact.

Sales do not equal quality music. Are you saying Beyonce is quality music? Im not saying i don't enjoy the reunion albums, i do. But to say they have or will have the same cultural recognition of the 80's is unlikely in the extreme.

Sales do not equal quality music. Are you saying Beyonce is quality music? Im not saying i don't enjoy the reunion albums, i do. But to say they have or will have the same cultural recognition of the 80's is unlikely in the extreme.
The good Dr is not saying they have the same cultural impact or universal recognition. You're putting words into his mouth. He is saying that they are appreciated in their own right and that claim is backed by fairly good sales figures and album charts.

And yes, Beyonce is quality music. It's written, arranged, recorded and produced by professionals and is appreciated world wide as quality music. You can't turn shit into gold, regardless of marketing (like Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball. It's a bit blown out of proportions, but I do think it's a good song. I was rather surprised to find out that it was a Miley Cyrus song, but I didn't stop digging it when I found out. To do so would've been stupid)I've said this times and times again, that music does not sell without appealing qualities (some might be humorous qualities like parody songs and silly songs and whatnot, but we'll ignore them for the sake of the argument and relevancy) and to simply dismiss them or their quality on the base that you're not a fan and it's beneath you or whatever (not saying that you think Beyonce is beneath you) is preposterous. The perpetual arrogance of certain Metal heads never ceases to surprise or enrage me and the elitist attitude towards popular music held by a large number of individuals withing the community is, to be frank, moronic.

Whoa. That's a whole little army of straw men you've put up there.

I did not state that sales equals quality. I used sales as an argument against your claim that the albums wouldn't be remembered. They have sold well, and that means they are getting recognized by the record-buying metal community. A community where new releases don't enjoy the same publicity as Beyoncé, Rihanna or the Canadian bed-wetter who should not be named.

Of course they won't have the same cultural impact as Number of the Beast, and I did not state that either - another nice straw man right there. When someone says they find AMOLAD Maiden's best album, it should be plain obvious that he isn't talking about best in terms of cultural impact, but rather judges it on artistic grounds. And opinions in that field are very individual.

PS: I see that Yax understood pretty well what I meant.

Im sorry but AMOLAD or any of the other reunion albums are not going to be remembered in comparison to the 80's recordings. If they are so vital with writing music today, why all the nostalgia tours? Come on, this thread is just fantasy.

Maybe this thread doesn't apply to you, or you don't agree with it, but it's not "fantasy". I frankly don't give a shit about Maiden not releasing "Number of the Beast 2" or "Powerslave 2", or occasionally chosing to pull out a live setlist that doesn't include "Hallowed Be Two Minutes to Fear of Running Free through The Hills like a Trooper" for the 7 billionth time.

AMOLAD is vital to me, because it was my first new Maiden record, and it was such a breath of fresh air in a music industry full of utter crap. The songwriting is good, the theme is realistic and very relevant, and I appreciate its integrity from an artistic standpoint, both musically, lyrically and visually. If some of "the masses" prefer the classics, then that's fine. But that absolutely does not, and should not, have any effect on my opinion of the music from an artistic standpoint.

Ziggy is also confusing cultural impact and perceived quality. Two vastly different things. For instance, 5150 Headless Cross is my favorite Van Halen Sabbath album. While it's also not one of their best selling albums (Second or third), it does not have the same cultural impact as some of the DLR Ozzy or Dio albums (whichever the most influential was. I'm not into VH enough to know) but it's well within my right to think it's their "best" album, and it's not a thought completely alien to the rock community.
Sorry, had to do that. :D

To be honest, the stuff in bold is what this all is about, cultural impact or not. Every individual opinion can be formed apart from whichever measured "success". It's not easy for some, but out here we have members who are able to do that. They have their own norms, their own -sometimes expanding- taste and perfectly know how to separate that from any kind of popularity.

However, I am intrigued by the following and wish to elaborate a bit further on it. The red statement is something else than the blue one:
And yes, Beyonce is quality music. It's written, arranged, recorded and produced by professionals and is appreciated world wide as quality music. You can't turn shit into gold, regardless of marketing (like Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball. It's a bit blown out of proportions, but I do think it's a good song.
Because songs are written, arranged, recorded and produced by professionals they are appreciated world wide as quality music?
I think it has more to do with popularity based on image. With being hip and trendy. Videoclips have a lot to do with that. A scandal every once in a while has to do with that.

There are lots of artists in the music industry who possess no artistic talent but who make more money than hundreds of hard working amateurs (or less known, "local" profressionals) with more talent. Simply because they look "good" or because they have smart people behind them. Such a person gets an artist, tells him every minute what they need to do and can stuff money in their pockets when it works.

Sometimes these smart people make a mistake:
http://www.holymoly.com/celebrity/p...ng-guitar-then-look-it-again-whats-wrong68047
I hear you guys saying "Who the fuck is this?" but this is a dude from a boy band. They are around for 3 years and sold 19 million singles and 10 million albums. You know, a band with music written, arranged, recorded and produced by professionals.

Look, I am not saying that all people who sell millions don't have talent, but I think that there's a lot of crap involved that we -or I at least- do not associate with quality, again from the artistic point of view. Beyonce can sing, she can dance, and she might look awesome, but I have way more respect for popularity that is achieved by songs that are -at least- written by artists themselves, without so much "industry" input. I call that real quality.

And fake/plastic quality is something that certain heads from the metal community dislike.
The metal community is an integer community with real interest for music. Call it arrogant, but it's a genuine interest for quality, for songs (and live performance), an interest that can keep the metal scene vital. It went wrong for a short while, especially in areas where trends rule peoples' lives, and it still goes wrong when the music industry tell moneysucking DJ's what they have to play, and where people think that the stuff on the radio and MTV is the only "shit" that should be liked. All this bullshit, that's what certain metalheads do not like. I am one of them and I am proud to be arrogant about it (if it's interpreted as such ;-).

Last edited:
I think one of Yax's points (& I'm sure someone else has adequately expressed this better then I'm about to) --is that it's incredibly insulting to talented people within the music industry to suggest all popular music is technically & musically inferior, just because they (the people behind popular acts) write, record, & perform for someone else, & Heavy Metal bands (& many other bands) tend to write, record, & perform their own music. The people behind a one-person "artist" are themselves talented people. You can certainly question why they don't go out & record & perform their own music, instead of what they do (--even though some of them probably do do this in their spare time.) And it's certainly fair to ask how much talent the famous artists themselves actually have, when they don't appear to write much of their own material (&, bar singing, obviously don't play, live, anything either). Most of the snobbery to popular music, I'm guessing, comes from this i.e. the observation that the artist is simply a performer with fairly average vocal abilities; or the perception (often incorrect) that this is the case.
And fake/plastic quality is something that certain heads from the metal community dislike.
Look at the other side of the coin though, Forostar. People out with the Metal community see plenty of this in the Heavy Metal scene. It's all about perception. I think another point is: there's too much ill-informed opinion.

Last edited:
There still is a difference in pop music between music that is written and performed as the artistic output of an artist, and such that is written using a generic by-the-numbers formula as a consumer good. Just because it is both labeled as 'pop music' by record companies and entertainment media doesn't mean that inspiration and intention are the same for both.

And it's certainly fair to ask how much talent the famous artists themselves actually have, when they don't appear to write much of their own material (&, bar singing, obviously don't play, live, anything either). Most of the snobbery to popular music, I'm guessing, comes from this i.e. the observation that the artist themselves is simply a performer with fairly average vocal abilities; or the perception (often incorrect) that this is the case.
Yes sir. All this attributes to my idea of quality. Perception is based on observations and I wouldn't be too quick with thinking that these are often incorrect. So why would the average metal head see it wrong?
Look at the other side of the coin though, Forostar. People out with the Metal community see plenty of this in the Heavy Metal scene.
O yeah? Do explain.
There still is a difference in pop music between music that is written and performed as the artistic output of an artist, and such that is written using a generic by-the-numbers formula as a consumer good.
Absolutely. You can (almost) hear it (and always check it), if the artist did something theirselves or not.
Just because it is both labeled as 'pop music' by record companies and entertainment media doesn't mean that inspiration and intention are the same for both.
Agreed. People have different artistic values.

I just mean it's (as I said) ill-informed. I'm sure people who dislike Metal simply pigeonhole all "Metal" into the same box: bands, guitars, shouty vocalists, all male, singing about war & death (etc) --I've no idea, but I'm pretty sure it's along these lines, & they don't like it. I'm suggesting that many "popular artists" similarly get pigeonholed (into the Pop category) by Popular Music hating "metalheads"; whoever they may be. I'm guessing. I'm just saying it swings both ways.

Aha, people who are not into metal are not my friend do that indeed. Sorry, I thought you meant people who do like metal, but who think of certain artists within metal as such. Thanks for explaining.

I think there is a lot of oversimplification going on here. Who are "metalheads who pigeonhole popular artists", and who are "people who are not into metal who pigeonhole metal artists"? I don't know a single person who falls into either of these categories.

Not sure if this is pigeonholing but I know people who dislike metal in general ("bah, noise") and people who dislike some popular artists, especially for the reasons I was talking about.

That sounds more like differentiated opinions, rather than the pigeonholing Cried was talking about.

There still is a difference in pop music between music that is written and performed as the artistic output of an artist, and such that is written using a generic by-the-numbers formula as a consumer good.

Is there any difference between a pop singer who records music written by someone else and a metal vocalist who does not write the music or lyrics for the band they front?

Im not saying i don't enjoy the reunion albums, i do. But to say they have or will have the same cultural recognition of the 80's is unlikely in the extreme.

As part of the NWOBHM all of Maiden's early albums had a major "cultural impact" on the evolution of metal. Without Maiden the metal world as we know it would not exist because the band was almost as important in the history of 80s metal as Sabbath was in the 70s.

The mid 80s creation of thrash, death, black metal etc (much of which was influenced to some extent by Maiden) gave rise to new bands who would leave a major cultural impact on metal - eg Metallica, Death, Opeth etc - and carve out new sounds on the metal frontier for others to follow, just as Maiden had previously and therefore Maiden's albums post-Powerslave may not be as "historically important" as their earlier releases.

But the band still has a massive "cultural impact" on a global scale. How many kids still get into metal via Maiden? How many of us can't wait for the next album? When was the last time Maiden didn't headline when they played? The guitarists still pop up on the cover of guitar magazines.

A Matter of Life and Death is a fantastic album. The band knows it...they played the album in its entirety during the 2006 world tour.

That sounds more like differentiated opinions, rather than the pigeonholing Cried was talking about.
How is what Foro just said not pigeonholing? They're just throwing everything they think is "Metal" into the same corner. "Differentiated opinions": no idea what you mean here.
The perpetual arrogance of certain Metal heads never ceases to surprise or enrage me and the elitist attitude towards popular music held by a large number of individuals withing the community is, to be frank, moronic.
I was merely responding to this statement, which seems clear enough.

Man, what a can or worms i have opened, still its a good debate. If you go over to a site like metalsludge, many people did not and do not see AMOLAD as a great album, but this is a maidensite so of course more people are going to be more favorable toward Maiden's recent material. By and large you are all die hards here. And actually the band were criticized by many fans for performing AMOLAD in its entirety at the time, and for playing very few 'classics', at one of these shows i attended, you cut the atmosphere with a knife at times. Why do you think they never released the filmed Donnington DVD? I believe it was because the new tracks bombed live and no one hardly knew those songs. But its all subjective so if you dig the album, great, its just not my cup of tea.

As for Beyonce, i love the fact people are debating her credibility here. To be honest, if you think a bunch of hired writers for a super corperate record label create music that is vital, i feel sorry for you. It took 6 writers and 4 producers to come up with this:

Girls, we run this mother (yeah)
Girls, we run this mother
Girls

Chores:
Who run the world? Girls (x4)
Who run this mother? Girls (x4)

It only took 1 writer and one producer to come up with this:

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Because I'm "easy come, easy go"
Little high, little low
Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me, to
me.

..as for 'metal heads' they just don't even exist anymore. Even back in the 90's you would see legit 'metal heads' at concerts, they had the stereotypical unwashed long shoulder length hair, a leather jacket, spots, usually lacking a girlfriend, they NEVER listened to anything other than the likes of Maiden, Slayer, Metallica and the rest. I went to school with kids like this. Today, everyone has generally short hair, looks the same, dresses the same, and has a bunch of different musical genres on their ipod or MP3. There are really no gangs in music anymore. However, where they might mix an ipod listening to Bowie, Maiden or Primal Scream, rarely do fans of SINGER SONGWRITERS listen to manufactured pop crap!!

My whole "defense" for "arrogance" in the metal community was also evoked by Yax's statement. I do not think Cried or I were oversimpliflying. On the contrary. I am of the opinion that Yax oversimplified and I mentioned the nasty aspects that he left out, which are exactly the answers to his disbelief on the arrogance he talked about.
Is there any difference between a pop singer who records music written by someone else and a metal vocalist who does not write the music or lyrics for the band they front?
I am curious about examples in the metal scene. Kiss is one for sure.

The difference lies in the fact that some pop bands (the plastic ones) often sound like 13 in a dozen while in metal, the sound (at least) can be different.
As for Beyonce, i love the fact people are debating her credibility here. To be honest, if you think a bunch of hired writers for a super corperate record label create music that is vital, i feel sorry for you. It took 6 writers and 4 producers to come up with this:

Girls, we run this mother
Girls

Chores:
Who run this mother? Girls (x4)
*likes this part of Ziggy's post (apart from the "I feel sorry for you")*

Back