Forum Software Updated - XenForo 1.2

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
This board is now running the latest version of XenForo, so you might notice some new things around.

Let me know if anything's broken, or feel free to post any interesting new discoveries here. Most importantly, the experience on mobile browsers etc. should be much better now.

For the interested, XenForo list a bunch of the new features in the release.

I wanted to ask even before this update, can you increase the number of options in a poll from 50 to 100? I need it for a game :)

I realize that I have been using the edit button very often but also for many different things. The next one is not unimportant for me:

I wonder, if a post can be seen as offending and one minute later a user regrets it (hopes it wasn't read) and tries to make it less/non offending. Will a poster be judged as hard on "history"-posts as on current posts?

I mean, do people get the chance to change something (for the better)? If not, why edit, the mistake has already been made (and there's no forgiveness).

Last edited:
I think that, should you have cause to edit your words for whatever reason, most people will let it slide. If you're concerned about it, though, edit *before* you click post. Or leave the original wording in the post, and explain why you changed your mind.

Most people are pretty damn good at finding when it is and isn't appropriate to get worked up.

Hey the "last edited" thing came back. I missed that!

I think if you're not sure about a post or it's a heated topic, you could leave it for a few minutes, go do something else and then come back and decide if there's something you want to change.

Yeah I thought the edit button was not only meant for correcting spelling or other non-emotional mistakes.
If you're concerned about it, though, edit *before* you click post.
What you say sounds like the mods rather do not want people to be concerned after a post has been made. Which means there's as less room for regret as possible.

As long as something is corrected in time, I don't really understand the urge to judge people on undone actions. I admit that the timing of editing is very important. If someone has seen the original post and starts answering while the poster is editing his, that's annoying (I heard ;-). But when users are invisible it's hard to take into account with their reading movements and posting behaviour.

From the mods point of view, I understand some of the enthusiasm about history logging but as a user who was using this button very often (for the smallest details even) I am not sure about what to think of it. It feels more uncomfortable than cameras on the streets. Camera images get deleted in a specified time (unless it's part of a spy program like PRISM). What will happen with all the logged data?

Well, I'll see how it goes. I'll try to get used to it and wanted to know how all this works.

Nobody is going to rag on you for correcting a spelling mistake, and if they do, tell me and I'll deal with it (or any of the other mods). The purpose is not to watch any one user. It's simply a feature of the new forum software, and not one we requested - it's been requested by XenForo users across the spectrum. That's why it's there. It makes our task easier when handling issues that have been reported. IE, someone says something inappropriate, we can go back and see what they said. That's one of the major reasons we are happy for this alteration.

The forum and the server are perfectly capable of hosting several extra copies of edited posts. The logged data will remain available when that post is viewed in the future. That is all.

Thanks for your responses LC!

And this is excellent:
Auto save drafts
While you are typing a message, every X seconds (currently 60), a draft of your message will be saved. If you reload the page later, your message will be automatically re-shown. Drafts will be automatically pruned over time.
Each draft is associated with a particular piece of content, such as a thread, forum, or conversations. A draft reply that you start working on in thread 1 will not be shown to thread 2 and so forth.

Display if messages have been posted since you started your message
Tied into the auto-saving, when you're writing a reply to a thread, we will check to see if any new messages and display a note if there are. You can then display those new posts without reloading the page.

So it looks like we are getting a lot of features back that were part of Simple Machines. That's really nice.

Online now: 2 members, 13 guests...........................and 26 ROBOTS! Just curious what it means when a robot is online. Is that spam, or are these friendly robots?

Since the last update I noticed that control-z (undo) takes lots more text away than in the previous version, and also than most regular text editors.
Type a whole sentence and do control-z and in most cases (if not all) the whole sentence disappears.

It's not a terrible thing but it is a bit annoying. I notice that I am using control-y (redo) more often these days (hell I even never needed to used that before). If not then I need to retype the whole sentence, or even bigger part of a whole post.

Jon, could you see if this is a bug? I think that in the previous version only one word was undone.

Back