Random trivia

Aye Foro, I'd accounted for the lack of 68 but I was going on number of albums rather than years, hence my numbers being a bit larger ;p Mis-read on my part there.
No prob, Crimson.

Sixes: I also forgot about Zappa! *slams forehead*. Will come back later at this.

Frank Zappa? 20 albums between 66 - 76
Good guess. The Frank Zappa number of years as described in the post (click) in which I asked the question is 11 (1966-1976).

A big amount but still the two bands I originally had in mind have larger numbers.

So: Tangerine Dream is the number one. Which other two bands come after that?
We're talking about multi million selling rock bands (I am not saying what kind of rock, because I don't want to give away too much yet).

A good guess because, along with the Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, and Germany's The Lords, Golden Earring are one of the oldest rock bands that are still performing today, and Golden Earring has arguably the most stable lineup of these veteran bands. (Texas band ZZ Top holds the record for stable membership, but is a younger band, being formed in 1969.) (<--- info copied from wiki)

Still, they had no studio album in 1974. The Golden Earring number of years as described in this post (click here) is 9 (1965-1973).

The bands I am looking for are bigger names in the history of rock. Adding up their album sales, they have sold between 175 and 200 million albums.

That made me think along the lines of AC/DC but I know that is far too short. Looking for more than 11 years of consecutive releases, that's quite a lot. Obviously what we define as "BIG" name is going to be a key point here, whats big to you not nescearrily big to me etc ;)

Still, coming up short atm.

As hinted in previous post: Big in worldwide album sales.
Next hint: One of the two bands sold more than Maiden.

That's one of the two I was looking for indeed!! Congrats to the Shadow! :ok:

Since their inception, Jethro Tull released 13 studio albums in the period of the same amount of years (one per year), and their first break came in 1981.

One band left:
The last one I am looking for is in terms of album sales not only bigger than Tull, but also bigger than Maiden.
And they released their studio albums without interruption for a longer period of time than Jethro Tull.

It's a collaboration album and not listed in his "own" discography on Wikipedia . Not sure if we should count that. If we do, then I need to do some checking and counting. Have to go now. To be continued!

And keep guessing that band I was talking about! ;-)

I think that album should be counted as part of his own discography.

I'd say so too. It is a Johnny Cash album released by his then label Columbia. The only difference is that it's got & June Carter on the cover because she sings on all the track together with Cash.

It's about the number of years, not amount of albums.

Not the winner, but Buckethead currently has 11 years of releasing music every year with no signs of stopping.

@Night Prowler: that's amazing! Have you ever heard one or more Senmuth albums? I wonder if you can recommend me one. Is it even possible to point out some of his most famous ones, when we're talking about such mindboggling numbers?

@Mosh and Sixes: I could count it but then the Metallica and Lou Reed album should also be counted in Metallica's own discography (I doubt if Metallica fans would do that and it's also not on their "own" list on wiki).
Something else: I wonder if there are more country artists who recorded a few dozen of albums, year after year. I didn't leave out Jazz for nothing, but maybe Country artists are as productive as Jazz artists?

But let's make Johnny Cash the winner. He has an uninterrupted string of 32 years releasing studio albums (1957-1988).

I still hope you guys want to continue this quest: Which British rock band am I still looking for? They probably have -in rock and pop- the most years in a row of studio album releases without interruption.

With 111 albums in nine years I don't except most of the albums to be very good.

For your question I'm going to answer Status Quo.

Back