Any Ideas On A New Album

I think you should read the 6th part of my comment again. I didn't say Steve is only the arranger in the band. He gets the ideas together, and while pasting them together he adds bridges, intros to make the song better flowing, which is the hardest task to do as a musician. (I know myself for one, I have tons of great ideas recorded on my phone or PC, but I'm yet to come up with a composition)

And on the differentiation between Adrian's and Steve's stuff, I'll take two songs : Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and Lord of Light. The main riff of Brighter Than a Thousand Suns and the powerful riffs of Lord of Light are pure Adrian. But the slow middle parts in both songs, also the intro to Lord of Light are pure Steve. And mind you, the slow middle parts are interlude/bridges in both songs, meaning Steve created them while getting the song together, while the Adrian parts are the main hooks of the songs.

To Ariana : I've got nothing against Adrian on a personal level (why should I ?).

That's the impression that you create. You said on another thread some time ago that you wouldn't mind if Adrian "gets sacked again" (WTF?), totally out of the blue. Now you're claiming he's not important, when it's obvious that he has been the main driving force behind the last two albums.

As if that's not enough, you're saying that you do mind Bruce and Janick and I don't get it - are you a fan of Maiden, or just a fan of Steve's? Because even if we all acknowledge the fact that Maiden exists because of Steve, bashing all the other songwriters in the band (i.e. the people who are the reason for Maiden's music to exist lately) seems totally unreasonable and too nihilistic to me.

Waaoo, I was trying to get things more cool. What a failure ! By the way, Steve is not my only point of interest in Maiden : I admire Dave a lot, and I think he is a great songwriter and one of the greatest soloist around.

The band just isn't the same without Dave Lights.
The lack of respect for that man is astounding.

The band just isn't the same without Dave Lights.
The lack of respect for that man is astounding.

Enough is enough. I can accept a bit of provocation, but not such a big an offense. Steve Harris was obviously the man behind those great light shows.

Steve can't hold a candle to Dave.
All that soft mood lighting, followed by the big flash gets old after a while.

This is all pretty funny, but it doesn't seem as if anyone can really praise one, without being offensively critical of the other.

Steve says himself that the other guys (Adrian included) tend to come to the writing sessions (i.e. in Paris for TFF) with loads of little bits, but never a fully arranged tune. In reality, without Steve, we just wouldn't have any of the tracks arranged the way they are; & Steve's own creative input is being a little underestimated here, in the clamour to praise Adrian. There seems to be a suspicion that both contribute a lot less than, & the other more, that it would appear from the songwriting credits.

Either way, without Steve, we wouldn't get any Maiden albums. So regardless of who's more "creative", Steve is certainly the most important, & critical for Maiden's success & survival.

Good answer. All in all, Steve is the key to Maiden and without him, there wouldn't even be a Maiden to even argue about.

Since this discussion won't die, I decided to lob a grenade and watch the firefight, so don't disappoint me...

Hypothesis: the Bruce/Adrian albums (Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding) are better than at least two of the post-reunion Maiden albums, and also better than Tyranny of Souls, so this suggests that Adrian's creative contributions to Maiden are now more important than anyone's, including Steve. True or false? Discuss.

:ph34r:

Steve says himself that the other guys (Adrian included) tend to come to the writing sessions (i.e. in Paris for TFF) with loads of little bits, but never a fully arranged tune.
I am not sure if they were never fully arranged. Perhaps Steve also changes arrangements. We can't know if one of the songs would have been less good if Steve wouldn't have changed anything.

And even if they were not fully arranged: there's probably a reason for that. The others already know beforehand that Steve will change something so why would they bother to make something complete? They could only get more disappointed if they did. The last Steveless song is from Virtual XI.

@Cornfed: Not sure if I find Tyranny worse than The Chemical Wedding.
But I agree 100% that these Bruce albums are better than the least two by Maiden since 2000.
Would be cool to do a poll containing various albums by Bruce and Maiden.

Since this discussion won't die, I decided to lob a grenade and watch the firefight, so don't disappoint me...

Hypothesis: the Bruce/Adrian albums (Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding) are better than at least two of the post-reunion Maiden albums, and also better than Tyranny of Souls, so this suggests that Adrian's creative contributions to Maiden are now more important than anyone's, including Steve. True or false? Discuss.

:ph34r:

I do think The Chemical Wedding is better than all Reunion albums and Accident of Birth is better than Dance of Death. Both are also better than Tyranny of Souls. But it was Roy Z who was the biggest contributor in these albums, not Adrian.

There is no suggestion from Steve that he likes this fact: that other members do not come with complete songs. He just states this is generally what happens. (Are you saying he doesn't say/imply this? I'm pretty sure he does.) I'm also not sure if there is any suggestion that members deliberately turn up with incomplete work as they know Steve will just change it. I'm not saying this isn't just Steve's slant on things, but clearly he feels that the material they bring on it's own either isn't up to scratch (i.e. they couldn't just record it as is, as it's not good enough) or simply isn't a complete composition. In the absence of any other information we have to take his word for it. Various members touch on demos being brought to these sessions. But by their very nature these (presumably) are not "complete" in any meaningful sense. (Maybe they are, but that's not the impression Steve gives.) For a start Adrian's demos probably have synth drums. Was the intro to TFF (i.e. Satellite 15) not an example of this? (Did Adrian not record this entire section in his own studio, and they just decided to go with this as an intro?)

In regard to Bruce's albums. So Bruce's best albums are better than a couple of Maiden albums? I don't see how this is relevant.

Adrian had all his songs from TFF on demos. That is one of the reasons he was disappointed with the production - his songs turned out very different from what he had intended them to.

There is no suggestion from Steve that he likes this fact: that other members do not come with complete songs. He just states this is generally what happens. (Are you saying he doesn't say/imply this? I'm pretty sure he does.)
I haven't heard this. I wouldn't mind having the exact quote. Is it literally said in Cornfed's clip?

Even if he says so, when Steve says things, he feels like something is not complete. That doesn't mean that it is the case. He feels like that. It is his perspective alone.

But to me, it sounds more like a routine since BNW. A routine he does not want to deviate from anymore.

Yeh, the production; back to an older point. People aren't really questioning Steve's role in the production --they seem to be suggesting his "arranging" is just sugar-coating on what are already amazing Adrian compositions. Steve clearly (by his comments) doesn't view it that way. And possibly neither does Adrian, since I don't hear him being overly critical (or critical at all) of Steve's musical contribution to his tracks, in whatever form that was. Only the production. Two different things.

Back