Blaze Bayley

Not sure how I feel about the song in general, but Blaze really shines. He still has it in him, he just needs someone to get it out.

The comments on that article are a perfect exhibition on virtually everything I hate about people.

Actually, the King Kong Bundy line was pretty damn funny. In fairness to Blaze, the Blabbermouth editors didn't exactly pick the most flattering picture.

I know it's been said before, but Maiden really needs to have him as an opening act. For all the talk we hear about the "Iron Maiden family," it would really be something good to do. I bet the vast majority of Maiden fans have never even heard any of his solo material.

Thanks so much for all that Foro and NP! Here's the setlist of the Birmingham show as well:
01. Lord Of The Flies
02. The Launch
03. Truth Is Revealed
04. Meant To Be
05. Stare At The Sun
06. I Like It Hot
07. One More Step
08. Man On The Edge
09. Como Estais Amigos
10. Doctor Doctor (UFO)

That Sinnergod song was awesome, at least, Blaze was. Anyone who says he can't sing is a moron.

Blaze is a pretty good singer, yes. His greatest strength is his excellent skill of delivering lyrics. When it comes to conveying emotions, he rarely fails - which is the area where so many world class singers struggle.

He has always been letdown by bad production, getting poorly written material and not sufficient coaching while recording - Sneap showed us what he was capable of, and then Sneap hasn't even gained his reputation from producing vocals mainly, as far as I know. Sneap and Co wrote for Blaze voice. While I actually like The X Factor and its production, I wouldn't call it great by any standards. Virtual XI is overall terrible in that regard, and let us not talk about what they would have him sing. He is excellent on Silicon Messiah and all albums up til Promise and Terror.

Sadly, I hardly believe he can afford someone of Andy Sneap's caliber by himself.

edit: I don't know if it is writing in English or that I'm tired, but I seem to have gotten a bit of dyslexia... Correcting spelling mistakes by the number. (Or only one that stung in my eye...) Over and out.

Really, I would say that he is quite good at conveying emotions. Think Fortunes of War, 2 AM, The Unbeliever, Stare At the Sun, The Hunger. I think he's a very emotional singer, and when I'm feeling down I definitely go to his material (Maiden, especially TXF, or solo) because of his voice. Blaze is definitey among my favorite singers.

I listened to Promise and Terror earlier today, and once again I was struck by how incredibly good it is. An album which I would place up there with my favourites. I discovered Blaze's solo material when it came out, and worked my way back through the catalogue. All of it is great, but The Man Who Would Not Die and Promise and Terror are the standout albums for me. While a song such as Stare As The Sun is a masterpiece, and Silicon Messiah is a very good album, I just feel that the last two albums before splitting up the band has more of a character of their own - they surely had something special going on (the Sneap albums sounds like Sneap), and it makes me sad that they couldn't continue.

I was reading a local music paper today at lunch and happened across an interview with Blaze who was discussing a tour with Paul Di'anno in which they both play a set each of only Maiden songs and flip a coin every night to see who headlines. At the end of the article the tour dates revealed them playing in Sydney this Friday night! I now have a ticket in hand and cannot wait...two sets of Maiden songs, early days and the Blaze era! \m/

Thanks! Really fortunate indeed and an absolute treat. I generally don't want to know a band's setlist prior to attending a gig as the anticipation before each song is always an enjoyable part of the event, but I couldn't resist looking at the setlist for the Melbourne show earlier this week. Wow! Both sets are fantastic, especially Blaze's:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blaze...nd-ballroom-melbourne-australia-63daced3.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-...nd-ballroom-melbourne-australia-73daced1.html

I will post an update if there are any changes to the sets on Friday. \m/

As washed up as Paul seems these days, I'd still line up for that show.
Make sure you give us a review.

Blaze Bayley and Paul Di'Anno at the Manning Bar in Sydney Australia 30 Nov:

Manning Bar is an excellent venue on campus at Sydney Uni, capacity about 1,000 but for this gig I would estimate around 250 people showed due to really poor promoting - I only discovered Blaze and Paul were in town two days prior. Of the two headliners Blaze must have lost the coin toss as he came on first to play his set. First song was Lord of the Flies followed by Futureal and during both of these songs he jumped in amongst the front few rows without missing a note (I touched Mr Bayley's finger and my mate gave his bald head a rub and came away with a handful of Blaze's sweat). Lightening Strikes Twice and When Two Worlds Collide followed before the bassline to Sign of the Cross got the crowd chanting a "Fear of the Dark" style of crowd choir. The song was epic, probably the highlight of the night. During the uptempo instrumental section after the solos (which were nailed perfectly by the band) Blaze started some crowd participation in the way that Bruce does it - he went. From one side of the stage and raised his arms for the crowd to cheer then went to the other side and did the same. Back and forth he would go and then finally to the middle of the stage for a whole crowd cheer just before the final chorus. It was pretty funny to watch this as the crowd was quite small and Blaze was laughing during the whole ridiculousness of it. He was in good spirits throughout, a funny guy and a really charismatic front man. Next up Como Estas Amigo in which the crowd started another FOTD-like chant -very cool. Then Blaze introduced Virus with an awesome blast directed towards the press and anyone else who thought Iron Maiden had died in the 90s. The song was another highlight, Blaze meant everything he was singing and I really hope Iron Maiden appreciate Blaze defending the band's honour and integrity. Hat's off to Blaze for his words, showed himself to be a worthy member of the Iron Maiden clan. The mellow opening to The Clansman provoked another FOTD-like crowd choir and the song was spine-tingling amazing. Again the guitarists nailed the solos and Blaze was in his element. The set closed with some funny banter from Blaze before Man on the Edge turned the front few rows into a frenzy. Blaze dived into the crowd again and passed his mic to fans to sing along. A truly amazing set, I really wish Maiden played more songs from this era - better still if there is a 90s history tour or farewell tour invite Blaze onstage to perform. Great setlist, a couple more from The X-Factor would have been ideal but Blaze was losing so much sweet he needed to go off and hydrate. And so it was time for...

The band to open up with The Ides of March . The same band played for Paul - I have since researched them and they are all well know musicians in the Australian metal scene. One of the guitarists in particular was a master shredder. Paul to shuffle onstage with his bad leg, gravelly throat and a glass of whiskey to launch into Wrathchild. It is common knowledge that Paul's voice ain't what it used to be, and he did hold the mic out to the crowd to sing for him many times, but it was still great to hear his punish growls in the flesh. After Wrathchild Paul talked for a bit. In fact throughout the show between songs he didn't stop talking and he is a pretty funny guy. Surprisingly he only abused one person, a sound technician for incorrectly setting up a mic stand - gave him the one finger salute and told him where to go. Prowler was up next followed by what Paul called a punk song, Murders in the Rue Morgue. It was great to hear the guitar harmonies played to perfection. Strange World was a highlight of the set and then came Remember Tomorrow which set off another FOTD-like crowd chorus. Paul then made a joke about STDs or something before launching into Charlotte the Harlot. Now we come to the epic part of the set - Killers and Phantom of the Opera back to back. Paul delivered on both songs and the band were tight and note perfect. Maiden really should play Killers on next years Maiden England tour. The set finished with Running Free and Highway to Hell. Maiden's original vocalist, Paul Day, joined The other Paul onstage for Running Free which was a total treat for the fans! There was no encore as Paul seemed close to death after his efforts over the last hour.

Highlights of the evening were standing second row and watching Blaze really enjoy himself; hearing Blaze material live; seeing three Maiden singers in one evening; purchasing a copy of The X-Factor signed by Blaze.

Favorite songs of the evening: Sign of the Cross, Virus, The Clansman, When Two Words Collide (it had a FOTD-like crowd choir too), Man on the Edge, Killers, Phantom of the Opera and Running Free.

I forgot to mention that an Eddie walked onstage during Man on the Edge!!! Hilarious...it seemed that while both singers enjoyed performing Maiden songs they were also having a laugh about the band at the same time.

If this show comes to your town you really shouldn't think twice about purchasing a ticket.

\m/

Great review MDR. You made me wish I was there.
The setlist alone had me slobbering — so many awesome songs we will likely never hear from Maiden again.
And it's good to hear the band was on, Blaze is still into it and Paul held it together.

Thanks Mid-Distance Runner! Great you had a good time, I enjoyed reading this. Really special that Paul Day performed with Di'Anno. Need to see a video soon!

Sounds like a cool show, I would love to see it if by chance they did it in the US .. I am afraid there really just is not that big of a market for it

Back