World Cup of Maidenfans semi-final: Led Zeppelin versus Back Sabbath

Which is the better band?

• Black Sabbath

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Led Zeppelin

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Interesting, Forostar. As a proponent of the growling death metal vocal style, your description of Robert Plant's vocals as annoying is ludicrous. After having subjected myself to that sub - sub - genre in an actual attempt to understand what it's appeal is, I can only conclude that:

1. The musical generation gap around here is insurmountable.
2. You guys are deaf.

I realize that none of you young 'uns were even a gleam in your father's eye when Zeppelin ruled the rock n roll world, but overrated and annoying are adjectives that illustrate your lack of knowledge of the musical lineage that eventually led to the band that we're all really here for... Iron Maiden. Maiden would not exist in their present form, along with any other band that was post Zeppelin. Zep were the roots of heavy metal and hard rock as we know it today. The Alpha. For that, they deserve respect, at the least...

I agree that Led Zeppelin deserve respect as a band and credit where credit is due. Had they not been around, Black Sabbath might not have sounded quite the same, and consequently Maiden might not have either. But I have several issues with the conclusions you are drawing. First of all, just because someone listens to growling vocals does not mean they are deaf (I don't like growling vocals either, I honestly just don't hear/see the appeal), they just have a different taste. And it doesn't make their opinion invalid. As to your first point about the musical generation gap it would be interesting if some of the older members would weigh in so we could get their take on it, but saying it is insurmountable just because a few 20 somethings don't agree with you is ludicrous. First of all, you imply that because we are younger we somehow have less valid opinions or worse taste. Second of all, you presuppose that anything from the Led Zeppelin era is something we young 'uns don't like or listen to (because of the generation gap). I am a fan of Pink Floyd. In fact, I am a big fan of classical music, and that was around before any of this lot was even thought of. Do I say that because classical music came first it is better? No. Also, I would like to point out something that might be uncomfortable, and that is that we 20 somethings have a more objective perspective on Led Zeppelin than you, precisely because we were not around when they were. I am not saying that that makes CI's opinion, or mine, better than yours, but it does mean we have a different perspective and that it is by definition of its being removed by time, more objective than yours. 30 years down the line, someone will say the same about Maiden. And it might not be pleasant to hear, but it will be valid. I will always have a soft spot for a band that I was around to witness.

To end, I'd also like to add that saying things like "you're deaf", and "you need to get your head out of your arse" isn't conducive to an insightful discussion, seeing as we all could simply go that easy road and throw insults at each other (I, for example, could call you deaf for liking Plant's voice). Its much harder to actually delve and have a conversation with people who's opinions are different from yours. So it'd be nice to hear what you have to say, just minus all the insults.

Interesting, Forostar. As a proponent of the growling death metal vocal style, your description of Robert Plant's vocals as annoying is ludicrous. After having subjected myself to that sub - sub - genre in an actual attempt to understand what it's appeal is, I can only conclude that:

1. The musical generation gap around here is insurmountable.
2. You guys are deaf.

I'm not even going to lie, I laughed until I cried when I read this. One of the greatest posts I've ever read.

Not to take sides here guys, but I just ran through The Rover, Houses of the Holy and Kashmir.
I can see why Taker took out his curmudgeon bat

I don't think Led Zeppelin is overrated, but after reading some of the arguments here, I really wish I did.

I can see why Taker took out his curmudgeon bat

Said the one who can't stand grunts. ;)
Taker is a nice fellow but he's very much into old classic bands. So much that he can't stand it when one or two people don't like some of these names. Very fanatic, almost religiously fanatic. Zeppelin had enough attention (millions rocked to Zeppelin). No need to react overheated when some Maidenfans deviate from the dogma.

Very fanatic, almost religiously fanatic.
This is my argument, it's not that I think LZ are a bad band, just not one worth of SUCH fanaticism or high status.
'Overrated' and 'Good' are not mutually exclusive after all.

The whole "They were at the forefront of the genre" argument is very flawed as I see it too, if those that came first were automatically best, music would never evolve. In most instances the early ones are actually the worse because those who come after build upon it. I'm not saying that they CAN'T be the best, just that it's not an automatic.

Above all though, resorting to insults is an automatic loss.

It's actually an automatic win in this case. I get to vent at those who have sullied Zep's honour, and have been able to create some heated discussion. I like stirring the shit pot... and yes Foro, it is religious zeal... and Maiden, Zeppelin and Rush are the deities. Besmirch any of them, in any way, at thy own risk... ;)

Amen.

The whole "They were at the forefront of the genre" argument is very flawed as I see it too, if those that came first were automatically best, music would never evolve. In most instances the early ones are actually the worse because those who come after build upon it.
And this is why I will be voting for Priest, not Sabbath, in the final.

It's actually an automatic win in this case. I get to vent at those who have sullied Zep's honour, and have been able to create some heated discussion. I like stirring the shit pot... and yes Foro, it is religious zeal... and Maiden, Zeppelin and Rush are the deities. Besmirch any of them, in any way, at thy own risk... ;)

Amen.

I hope you're not being serious. Religious zeal is hardly necessary when it comes to music. Actually, its not necessary ever. Full stop. :grumble:

Back