World Cup of Maidenfans semi-final: Led Zeppelin versus Back Sabbath

Which is the better band?

• Black Sabbath

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Led Zeppelin

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Mods, can someone could fix the typo in the subject line?
please and thank you.

I'd give Zeppelin a slight edge for the '70s, but the Dio years puts the Sabs over the top.
And the voters agree with me. Number one seed Black Sabbath moves into the finals.

I don't think that anyone need be as much of a Zeppelin fan as I am. I think opinions of which band is better than another is just that... an opinion... as well as a fun way to kill some time in these forums. But here is simple truth my young comrade... anyone who can call a band of Led Zeppelin's calibre overrated has his head firmly inserted up his ass. If you ever get around to pulling it out, you should give yours a good shake too.

Well, it is my opinion. I have never seen what phenomenal thing they have done, they were around early on that's it as far as I see. Their most 'monumental' achievement that they seem to be noted for is Stairway.. and that isn't that great. Not only is it not that great it's also (debatebly I admit, as it's similar but many things are) stolen, many of their songs are either rehashes of other works or in some cases - a direct lyrical copy over different music, or vice versa.

That aside, it's my Opinion. An Opinion clearly shared by Night Prowler and at least one other I know of through conversation. So I am rather intrigued as to why my head is up my ass for agreeing with someone else, but the original poster is not labelled as such. I am not saying they are "not a good band", I just don't think they are worthy of the godlike pedestal that people grant them.

May I also say, that that last sentence comes across as "Anyone who disagree's with my opinion has their head up their ass" .. which I gotta say, is very much an example of .... having one's head up ones ass.

You will notice I differentiated between truth and opinion. If you think Stairway is what that band is noted for it only shows the depth of your ignorance.

You will notice I differentiated between truth and opinion.
But here is simple truth my young comrade... anyone who can call a band of Led Zeppelin's calibre overrated has his head firmly inserted up his ass.

That doesn't sound like "truth", that sounds very much like opinion.
For another, 'overrated' is dependant entirely on how highly people rate them. Good band? yes. Best/Godlike like I see thrown around so frequently? No.

I'll join Night Prowler and Crimson Idol. Overrated indeed.
Zep did a few nice things (no one can sit still when he hears Whole Lotta Love!) but for me this band mostly stands for one with an annoying, wailing singer (Plant's cries and moans such "baby, baby yeah!"), simple lyrics (also baby, baby, not much different from average pop or blues songs) and unoriginal music.

wiki:
The material on the first two albums was largely constructed out of extended jams of blues standards and folk songs. This method led to the mixing of musical and lyrical elements of different songs and versions, as well as improvised passages, to create new material, but would lead to later accusations of plagiarism and some legal disputes over copyright.

This is why the bulk of what I hear sounds unoriginal, and that bores me. :yawn:

Interesting, Forostar. As a proponent of the growling death metal vocal style, your description of Robert Plant's vocals as annoying is ludicrous. After having subjected myself to that sub - sub - genre in an actual attempt to understand what it's appeal is, I can only conclude that:

1. The musical generation gap around here is insurmountable.
2. You guys are deaf.

I realize that none of you young 'uns were even a gleam in your father's eye when Zeppelin ruled the rock n roll world, but overrated and annoying are adjectives that illustrate your lack of knowledge of the musical lineage that eventually led to the band that we're all really here for... Iron Maiden. Maiden would not exist in their present form, along with any other band that was post Zeppelin. Zep were the roots of heavy metal and hard rock as we know it today. The Alpha. For that, they deserve respect, at the least...

I would argue that Black Sabbath were far more influential than Led Zeppelin to the vast majority of metal bands, and the better of the two (and judging by the poll many would agree)... which to say they had Ozzy singing for them is quite something. Worlds greatest singer he is not. Also, the argument given there implies that being at the birth of the genre automatically gives them a higher status? I would say Judas Priest also had far greater influence than LZ on the bands that came after them, and whilst yes, Judas Priest may not have been the same without LZ (although probably would, as their musical roots were far more linked to Black Sabbath) that does not automatically mean that LZ are 'better' just because they came before.

Respect yes, in the same manner any other band deserves respect. But as I said before, 'Overrated' as an adjective depicts that people rate them higher than deserved. Rating them highly is one thing, but they are often elevated far above the term 'highly' could ever describe. No one is saying we don't believe they deserve a high rating (although I don't), just that they do not deserve as high a rating as they are granted by their fans (I apply that to Metallica aswell, and I daresay there are many other bands that can be granted that).

As said above, age does not equal talent, and being influenced by someone does not mean they are 'above' in any manner.

You have said yourself here that many of us were not around when Zep were, to that extent we will interpret them differently. People always have a soft spot for things they experienced first hand, no matter what came before OR after. But again, lineage has nothing to do with how to perceive someone, why would our knowledge of musical lineage have anything to do with our personal tastes or opinions?

Lastly... at risk of repeating myself. "Overrated" is about RATING. Rating something in itself, is a form of opinion. In something purely opinion based (there is no 'official' band rating scale after all) it is impossible to argue wrong, right, fact or fiction.

Maiden would not exist in their present form, along with any other band that was post Zeppelin. Zep were the roots of heavy metal and hard rock as we know it today.

From all influences Maiden ever incorporated in their own sound, Led Zeppelin might have been the smallest factor.

A: From all bands, I hear Zeppelin the least in Maiden's music. I admit that I do hear them in well The Legacy. But that's about it. I am curious for more recognizable (elements in) songs.

B: The following article (excerpt from 2004 interview with Bass Player) states that the Zep-influence was just a bit, compared to other bands.

Bass Player: There are quite a lot of changes and different sections in some of MAIDEN's songs.

Steve Harris: "Oh yeah — that's the influence coming in from YES, GENESIS, PINK FLOYD, JETHRO TULL, that sort of stuff. We wanted to incorporate those time changes, plus the heaviness of BLACK SABBATH and DEEP PURPLE with a bit of ZEPPELIN thrown in, and the harmony guitars of WISHBONE ASH as well. But when you're playing, you get to the point where you don’t even have to think about it. When you start thinking about what you're doing, that's when you make mistakes. If you start thinking, 'Oh blimey – what's that bit coming up next?' Then it's already gone and you've buggered it. It's all very well saying you'd like things perfect, but everyone makes mistakes."

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=27275

Back