KK Downing retires from Judas Priest!

I agree. Roy is a fantastic guitarist, and also a great producer and songwriter. I think he also co-wrote Deal With The Devil :S

KK's statement:

Dear friends,

It is with much regret that I will not be with you this summer. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concerns about my health. Please rest assured that I am O.K.

There has been an ongoing breakdown in working relationship between myself, elements of the band, and the band's management for some time.

Therefore I have decided to step down rather than to tour with negative sentiments as I feel that this would be a deception to you, our cherished fans.

However I would urge you to please support the Priest as I have no doubt that it will be a show not to be missed.

There you go. Priest fall apart before stepping down. I just hope Maiden are going to have the dignity to call it quits before it's too late.

Perun said:
There you go. Priest fall apart before stepping down. I just hope Maiden are going to have the dignity to call it quits before it's too late.
the  world  tour is six weeks ahead. They don't want to disap
point the fans by calling it quits. It's not a matter of dignity.

Not sure if I see this right but Per might mean that the band have had an internal struggle (a decrease of dignity because it caused someone to leave the band, and that's not that nice for the fans as well).

Yeah, that's what I meant. The band falling apart was probably already happening before they publicly announced their retirement, and as it appears, they couldn't hold it together any longer, even through their final tour.

I just hope they stay together till July 2nd (I'm seeing them on July 1st :) ) and from then on, they can do whatever the hell they want...

Perun said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. The band falling apart was probably already happening before they publicly announced their retirement, and as it appears, they couldn't hold it together any longer, even through their final tour.
Ah, I see.  :)

According to hearsay, Nostradamus was KK's baby - He loves to make Nostradamus jokes on his websitem and he was very passionate about it when they were recording the album. Hell, the music is even on his golf website.The album didn't become the hit they had hoped for, and the full Nostradamus show never happened. I can surely understand if he's frustrated about that, and that it could make the relationship with the managment tense - Not to mention, it's common knowledge that Priest's management is crap.

Yax said:
the full Nostradamus show never happened. I can surely understand if he's frustrated about that, and that it could make the relationship with the managment tense - Not to mention, it's common knowledge that Priest's management is crap.

Actually I had such a feeling! I really think it is awkward that the band announced to do a full Nostradamus tour, and that it never happened. I can imagine that at least one person may be pissed off about it.

Me. They played like 2 songs off that album. It deserves at least one show with full orchestra and choir.

This following is pure rumour babbling, so take what you want from it. :)

I know that Halford has been very close with his manager Baxter for years (Baxter got exaggerated credit mentions on his recent solo (re-)releases). I think they've collaborated since Fight I assume, or maybe even earlier. Who knows these two guys had too much influence in KK's opinion. Halford has been busy with his solo efforts and countless re-releases and I can seriously imagine that this may have delayed Priest plans. As a trade for the delay they might have promised KK more songs from Nostradamus, but at the latest moment it was decided to not do this. Good reason to say: fuck you, I have had enough of this.

The following step was what Perun said: a break-up. Then a goodbye tour was organized, but KK was reluctant to join. The band/management still planned the whole tour, and it seems KK decided at the last moment (or earlier but it didn't come out in the open) to not join the tour as well. Thus came Priest's statement.

In any case, it's a real shame that such a legendary band should go out like this after over forty years. You'd think that after all this time they'd end it in a mature and fitting manner.

It's really too bad he couldn't do one more tour with Priest. Must be a pretty big conflict if he can't.

He doesn't look to excited about it in that video.

Back