Who are your Top 5 guitarists of all time

Jeffmetal said:
So you don't know Metallica. The man's rhythm guitar is second to none, specially on ...AJFA. Mustaine was as important as him on settling the standards for Thrash Metal rhythm guitar and on composing many anthologic riffs from Metallica. Hammett made some of my fave guitar solos of all times and I was influenced by him for that, but he's a common guitarrist and didn't evolute as time went by.
Hetfield's playing on Justice is amazing, but Hammett during the LOad/Reload/St. Anguish period became just sloppy and bad and even on DM, which is good, he's really not progressing at all, which is why Mustaine (and Megadeth) is better.

Richie Blackmore
Adrian Smith
Glenn Tipton
David Gilmour
Tony Iommi

Runners-up would be Dave Murray, Dave Mustaine, Yngwie Malmsteen, Michael Schenker (can't believe he didn't get a mention), Jimi Hendrix, Chris Impelleteri, Gary Moore, Joe Satriani, Marty Friedman and Alex Lifeson.

1.Eddie Van Halen 2. Nuno Bettencort 3. Alex Lifeson 4. Ritchie Blackmore 5 Adrian Smith

^ 'cause he sucks. He's technically brilliant, but his songs are...meh.
David Gilmour would kick his ass with one note. Adrian Smith doesn't need any notes to kick Steve Vai's ass.

Many years ago I bought Passion and Warefare, listened to some of it and then thought meh, this is boring.

I dug it out recently and I must say I regretted not giving it a proper listen first time round. I listened to it at least 50 times in one month!

Also I think Steve Vai is one of those guitarists who is much more entertaining to watch rather than listen to. Anyone seen Where the Wild Things Are?

1. Angus Young (I know he's no crazy technical or fast player but his style and tone have captured my imagination)
2. Adrian Smith
3. Ritchie Blackmore
4. Larry Carlton
5. Dan Hawkins

My top 5 guitarists are changing all the time, but current favourites:

1. Adrian Smith
2. David Gilmour
3. Peter Green
4. Gary Moore
5. Brian May

In addition to Maiden's big three:

Joe Satriani
Michael Schenker
Gary Moore (and Brian Robinson and Scott Gorham)

...and especially the not-mentioned-yet Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser — has everyone forgotten his work with BOC?

Obviously the Maiden trio but apart from them,

Dave Gilmour
Eddie Van Halen
Ritchie Blackmore
John Williams
Yngwie Malmsteen
Micheal Angelo

That's 6 so take out Malmsteen I guess

Back