When the Wild Wind Blows

How good is When the Wild Wind Blows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
The Man Who Would Be King

LooseCannon said:
I don't think it's X Factoresque. It sounds far more like Virtual XI to me.

I've listened to it twice today and I agree. The guitar reminds me of The Educated Fool rather than anything off The X Factor.

Exactly. On VXI the guitar sound is higher and more melodic. The X Factor has a much deeper, darker sound. Like I have said, Steve probably wrote this song around 1999 (he has said himself he wrote it awhile ago and meant to put it on the reunion albums, but never found it). It wasn't written for Bruce.

1999?

Forostar said:
Steve Harris:
“The idea for that song was in my head for a very long time. Definitely five or six years. Maybe even longer.

"Maybe even longer" might indeed mean the nineties, but it might just as well have been 2003 or 2004.

Yeah, but if you listen to it, it feels like it is from the Blaze era. Of this I am certain.

It may come in a future interview!

Edit: Imagine if BNW closed with this instead of TTLBLAH.

Edit again: Sounds like Jan has an acoustic guitar, at least during the intro for this song. Then when the tune picks up the first time, you can hear it still. I love the alternating between Davey and H though.

Edity edit again: THEN at 6:00 you get this bit where all three of them are tossing down little wails, and it goes back from Davey to Jan to H to Davey to H to Jan. Sounds like 1 guitar, I'm pretty sure it's 3.

The intro is one of the most melodic things Maiden have done. It is beautiful really. The lyrics are great. I get a Paschendale vibe where you return to the intro for the sad bit (Dead soldier in Pasch, Dead couple here) and it works as well here.

Listening again now, I actually think there is some Afraid To Shoot Strangers in here as well. One particular variation of the main guitar melody, to be precise - the one done after both solo parts. First right after the 5 minute mark, and then again at 9:04-9:26. It reminds me a lot of the part from 5:42 in ATSS.

I personally don't think it would be, joppla.

I think they used 4 on BNW, but he couldn't remember the 4th one - implying it featured on BNW, in which case it wouldn't be WTWWB. And then also the interviewer asks if it was Blood Brothers and he says it wasn't. So it must have been one of the others on the album. But then again, you never know.

Am I the only one thinking they sit in the shelter through the solos and it's only when they run low on food they take the poison, weeks later than the earler verses?

That might be true Stannar, but in the lyrics it says;

'When they found them, had their arms wrapped around each other
The tins of poison laying near by their clothes
The day they both mistook an earthquake for the fallout,
Just another when the wild wind blows...'

So going by that it seems to be linking them poisoning themselves to the very same day they thought the bombs had fallen.

However, the lyrics are a bit ambiguous and it seems to me that the last two lines may be referring to an earlier event, if that makes sense.
Like, 'This is what happened now' in the first two and then the last two lines sort of illustrate why they did it - the day they mistook an earthquake for the fallout, but it might have been in the past.

Damn, it's hard to explain. But I think it could go either way.

Eddies Wingman said:
Listening again now, I actually think there is some Afraid To Shoot Strangers in here as well. One particular variation of the main guitar melody, to be precise - the one done after both solo parts. First right after the 5 minute mark, and then again at 9:04-9:26. It reminds me a lot of the part from 5:42 in ATSS.

This is exactly what my wife said as well.

I like this song but I don't love it.  It doesn't quite have what I'm used to in an album ending epic.  Cool melody though, and I like how the parts mix together.  Definitely could have been a Blaze era song.

I was in an argument with my cousin today because of the lead work on the song lol. It seems to me that is Janick doing almost all the leads on the song, but he keeps telling me it is Adrian doing them, but i don't really think so. Any of you guys know who's the main lead guy on here?=D

Yeah the solos are pretty easy to recognise but i mean the guitar who follow Bruce's voice, starting at 2:18's when the heavy part kicks in. I'm almost sure it's Janick but you never know lol.

Back