Bruce Dickinson

Talk about adding petrol to the fire regarding the anti-vaccine rumours!
Don't want to stir the waters... but these words pretty much confirms that Steve is Antivax, Flat earther, cuckoo, has untraditional views on some aspects of life :innocent:
(This post was written with no ill will :nuts:)

Edit: After I posted my message, I saw @Ascendingthethrone's post :hello:
I... must... resist... cheap... shots... :innocent:
That's what Steve said!

1702415879247.gif

Isn't "Midnight Jam" the unofficial sequel to "Taking the Queen"? I remember on his "Voice of Crube" track from his Best Of saying that was the case, him whipping up some lyrics on the fly related to that song while the others jammed, the concept being "what happens in the song after the fade."

That’s exactly what it is. I remember thinking back in 2001, after listening to the song, that I’d rather have lived without knowing what happens after the fade…

Something I somehow missed to mention from the interview:

Bruce loves Skunkworks. Some great songs on it, ''Strange Death In Paradise'' still brings chills when he listens to it. He thinks it probably wasn't the right album for the rock world back then.

I like the groove of the song and the high and unique outro is powerful.
I think the song is one of Bruce’s best vocal performances on tape.

I would have liked another album with Alex Dickson. He is clearly a talented songwriter and guitarist. It would have been interesting to hear a sequel to Skunkworks.

Guess I'm selling two tickets for Bruce Dickinson show. No Skunkworks = No Spambot.

Sell it for 10x more money when Bruce passes away.

I have to weigh in on this a bit.

If we're saying that the book is poorly written compared to other autobiographies - yes (and there is a reason for that, but I'll come to that later).

If we're saying that the book is poorly written considering his writing abilities then - also probably yes, but there are a lot of other factors to be considered. First, Bruce really hasn't written a lot. If we're considering lyrics, that could be counted as poetry. Poetry and prose are worlds apart, and even within prose, there are genres that don't guarantee that if you excel in one area, you'll also nail another. Hell, even within the same genre, some authors have problems when they're encountered with a different approach for the same work (ask any author who has just written his novel to write a query for it, and he'll probably tell you to fu** off). The less we say about Lord Iffy Boatrace - the better.

I don't think Bruce had any idea how to approach his autobiography except to just sit down and start writing (and it shows). I can't remember how much was redacted from the original manuscript (at least a third of it, if I remember right), but it shows that Bruce was primarily going for content instead of style. How he delivered that content on paper is exactly how I expected him to do it. Disjointed, uneven, sometimes too obscure, sometimes too detailed. The final product (the way the book was published) made me feel like I sat across Bruce in a pub, and he shared interesting anecdotes from his life over a pint of beer - and I loved that approach. It really felt genuine—a story told in the way he wanted it to be told. And that brings me to my second point.

A huge chuck of autobiographies is written by ghostwriters. Once you discover that, it doesn't take long to notice how some people who don't use more than 20 of the same words per day after 50–60 years suddenly pull out several stylistic figures. I'm not saying it's not possible or that it hasn't happened. But if it happened so often, maybe those same people should think of changing careers or maybe starting earlier with their "talent". I'm not a super fanboy, but from what I've heard and read from him in the past 20 years: Bruce's autobiography was Bruce's, from the first paragraph to the last one, no doubt about it. That's what makes it wobbly in quality. There was an editorial intervention (as it should be AFTER it was written!) but it was his style, his words and more importantly - his idea (which I cannot say about Adrian's book).

In the end, it all depends on where you "come from" before you read this book. People who are much more into music than books rated it well (and I agree with Mosh's point about his writing style). People who were more into books than music didn't rate that well, although I'm surprised that a big part of the criticism was aimed at the content instead of the style.
I know most autobiographies are by ghostwriters. I don't have a problem with that and actually think it's a good thing (even better if the ghostwriter is credited as a co-author). These people are musicians, not authors, and even the lyrically inclined folks are not going to necessarily be great at prose, as you pointed out. It's not just better writing but it also helps to have some sort of outside voice who can help piece together their life stories. Kinda give things more of a big picture view as ultimately a good autobiography is also a good narrative. A lot of music autobiographies or authorized biographies (think Run to the Hills) are not very good because they end up just being a bunch of disjointed vignettes or a bunch of facts being thrown at the reader. Good for the enthusiast, lacking as literature.

Bruce talking to you in a pub is great, I definitely think he captures that decently and agree with you on most of that. This post from GhostofCain gets to where I started to have problems:
I agree. It might not be the best autobiography I have read, but I liked that approach. That being said, I must admit that all the plane stuff felt like someone in the pub going on and on about something after having had too many pints.
The book lost a lot of its focus because of this IMO. I imagine an outside observer reading it and coming away with the impression that this is a story of someone who was once a musician and then learned later in life that their passion was for flying. When Bruce writes about flying it's great because you can feel the passion in his words. His writings about music, not as much. It seemed like he was putting that stuff in there knowing it was what the fans wanted, but not being a main subject of interest for him. That's fine, he can like what he likes and I'm not going to fault him for that, but this is where a ghostwriter/editor comes in to redirect the focus. Bruce is an interesting guy and not just when he is flying planes, an editor could have helped bring that interesting story out of him.

Last thing is I want to revisit the poetry vs prose subject since I implied that Bruce's recent lyrical shortcomings and the quality of the book are linked. It's less about the writing style and content, and more just the rough draft aesthetic. It's the same thing that drives Steve Harris to put demos on the albums. I think Bruce drew a contrast between himself as an artist and Maiden in the 90s when he brought on Roy Z to make these really polished modern sounding productions while Steve was recording in his barn. The X Factor sounded like demos while Accident of Birth sounded like a million bucks. Then there were the stories of how Bruce insisted on making the next Maiden album in a real recording studio with a real producer. Now we have a Bruce Dickinson who brags about his published book being a first draft, or how a song on the new album features ad-libbed vocals recorded in one take. Empire of the Clouds - almost more of a sketch than a fully fleshed out idea. Etc etc. It's not a bad thing necessarily, but it feels like a different approach. I'll be curious to hear how the new album comes out with this in mind.

His comments about Maiden’s reunion were interesting too.
Yeah, he described it as a tap dance. Rod suddenly asked if he had any interest to rejoin and Bruce said: ''I was wondering when you gonna ask me''. Continues:

Bruce: "Yeah. Well, why don't we call Steve now?''
Rod: ''Don't call up Steve. I will talk to him''.
Bruce: ''Fine''. They set the meeting in Brighton.
Bruce: ''Everyone is taking this so seriously''...
Steve: ''Why you want to join?''
Bruce: ''Well, it's about time we did something decent again, isn't it. Not that the stuff with Blaze is weak. We can do stuff that can put the band where it should be. We should do a great album.
Steve: Hmm, you telling the truth?''
Bruce: "Ah, yes. But we'll have to wait and see''. ''BNW was proof of that. We are all pretty cool now''.
TTAL hasn't been played since the World Piece Tour, SSOASS has been featured on exactly two tours and Rime is a rather demanding and rare song as well. The chance of all three in one tour, along with any other epics, is (in my opinion of course) nonexistent. Any of those three on their own would already be unusual and a big surprise. All three of them on the same tour in one setlist? Essentially impossible.
I hear you, but I think 2 out of 3 for one tour is not that impossible.
Isn't "Midnight Jam" the unofficial sequel to "Taking the Queen"? I remember on his "Voice of Crube" track from his Best Of saying that was the case, him whipping up some lyrics on the fly related to that song while the others jammed, the concept being "what happens in the song after the fade."
Yes, ''Midnight Jam''. But it's more like a long outro, as a sequel.
I think the song is one of Bruce’s best vocal performances on tape.

I would have liked another album with Alex Dickson. He is clearly a talented songwriter and guitarist. It would have been interesting to hear a sequel to Skunkworks.
Amazing vocal performance indeed. The guitar work is also interesting.

I think another album with the Skunkworks band wouldn't have been that different. I'm glad with how things turned out, especially with the next album. Btw, I like the album more and more with every listen.
It's the same thing that drives Steve Harris to put demos on the albums. I think Bruce drew a contrast between himself as an artist and Maiden in the 90s when he brought on Roy Z to make these really polished modern sounding productions while Steve was recording in his barn. The X Factor sounded like demos while Accident of Birth sounded like a million bucks. Then there were the stories of how Bruce insisted on making the next Maiden album in a real recording studio with a real producer. Now we have a Bruce Dickinson who brags about his published book being a first draft, or how a song on the new album features ad-libbed vocals recorded in one take. It's not a bad thing necessarily, but it feels like a different approach. I'll be curious to hear how the new album comes out with this in mind.
I agree and that makes the album even more ''curious''.

It could do with being two songs shorter though.
The only song I would remove is ''I Will Not Accept The Truth''; and maybe no effects on the voice for ''Headswitch''. Add Armchair Hero (my favorite song from this period) in its place. Re-Entry is a nice b-side. It's amazing, but the album still sounds fresh.

I was thinking about the 2nd single (can't wait to hear it, the more solo work the better) and the recent interview from Bruce...

he said that most of his albums are heavy and mid-tempo - and he doesn't want to play many mid-tempo songs on the upcoming tour; while his 1st single from the album is a mid-tempo song (written this year). So the next single should be a fast and catchy number then, like the debut singles for his previous three metal albums.

The book lost a lot of its focus because of this IMO. I imagine an outside observer reading it and coming away with the impression that this is a story of someone who was once a musician and then learned later in life that their passion was for flying. When Bruce writes about flying it's great because you can feel the passion in his words. His writings about music, not as much. It seemed like he was putting that stuff in there knowing it was what the fans wanted, but not being a main subject of interest for him. That's fine, he can like what he likes and I'm not going to fault him for that, but this is where a ghostwriter/editor comes in to redirect the focus. Bruce is an interesting guy and not just when he is flying planes, an editor could have helped bring that interesting story out of him.

You make some very valid points about the autobiography here, although Bruce had an editor who apparently got rid of a lot of airplane stuff. :lol:

Earlier this year, I read Brian Johnson's autobiography, which had a relatively similar style to Bruce's (i.e., the whole "mate down the pub chat" approach). However, it pains me to say it, I found Brian Johnson's autobiography to be significantly better: greater emphasis on the music, much more in-depth information about his life, etc.

Back