X Factor & Virtual Xi

[!--quoteo(post=129680:date=Feb 24 2006, 06:59 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 24 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]129680[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
"The car is an oven and baking is wild"

I think the words are made to rhyme without thought given to how they really sound in context to the song.[/quote]

Just a small note. I know what it says in the lyrics sheet, but Blaze is singing Baking as wild. Baking just isn't wild, you know [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

I don't agree with you on the lyrics part, but the only thing I want to contest is this:

[!--quoteo(post=129682:date=Feb 24 2006, 07:44 PM:name=Wicker Man)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Wicker Man @ Feb 24 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]129682[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'll agree with you about those two lines seeming like they were written to rhyme. I think that "now he can't even give birthday presents" is a fairly stupid line, (keeping in mind this is all just my opinion).
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but these lines are a direct reference to the film. The main character indeed used to build missiles (his license plate even reads "D-Fens"), and the main reason why he flips out in the film in the first place is because he is unable to come to his little daughter's birthday.

[!--quoteo(post=129684:date=Feb 24 2006, 07:03 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 24 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]129684[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I don't agree with you on the lyrics part, but the only thing I want to contest is this:
I'm sorry, but these lines are a direct reference to the film. The main character indeed used to build missiles (his license plate even reads "D-Fens"), and the main reason why he flips out in the film in the first place is because he is unable to come to his little daughter's birthday.
[/quote]

Well, that was a great movie, what with Michael Douglas holding up a fast food restaurant because he was 2 minutes late to get a breakfast meal. What a calm and rational way to react to such a mishap, to draw your sub-machine gun that you stole from a bunch of crazy gansters! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129684:date=Feb 24 2006, 04:33 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 24 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]129684[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]
Well I take back what I said, I hope Maiden can forgive me.

Well if you're not Sharon Osbourne, I'm sure Maiden will forgive you. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129689:date=Feb 24 2006, 05:08 PM:name=Black Dragon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Feb 24 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]129689[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well if you're not Sharon Osbourne, I'm sure Maiden will forgive you. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]
Well I haven't checked lately, but I'm pretty sure that I'm still happily not her [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129687:date=Feb 24 2006, 08:14 PM:name=Black Dragon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Feb 24 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]129687[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well, that was a great movie, what with Michael Douglas holding up a fast food restaurant because he was 2 minutes late to get a breakfast meal. What a calm and rational way to react to such a mishap, to draw your sub-machine gun that you stole from a bunch of crazy gansters! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]
[/quote]

You mean, you never pulled out a machine gun in a fast food restaurant? ::

[!--quoteo(post=129688:date=Feb 24 2006, 08:24 PM:name=Wicker Man)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Wicker Man @ Feb 24 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]129688[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well I take back what I said, I hope Maiden can forgive me.
[/quote]

Three "Ave Adrian" and two "Smith's Prayer" will do it [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129694:date=Feb 24 2006, 05:41 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 24 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]129694[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Three "Ave Adrian" and two "Smith's Prayer" will do it [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
[/quote]
I'll try, but I can't quite get the guitar solo right in the middle of the "Ave Adrian".

[!--quoteo(post=129672:date=Feb 24 2006, 06:08 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 24 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]129672[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I was listening to The X Factor for the first time in quite a while yesterday and realised some annoying things that I didn't really see before. I hate to flame such a worthy topic, but some things must be said:
  • The production on The X Factor is rubbish. The guitars are barely audible ........

....I may edit this and make a similar constructive criticism for VXI [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
    [/quote]

Better don't. If you say the guitars are barely audible on TXF, you won't hear a single guitarnote on VXI. Better go to a hearing doctor instead. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

I find your grading a bit high after all these comments. What is more serious: the points of criticism or the grade? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129798:date=Feb 25 2006, 07:21 PM:name=Forostar)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Forostar @ Feb 25 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]129798[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Better don't. If you say the guitars are barely audible on TXF, you won't hear a single guitarnote on VXI. Better go to a hearing doctor instead. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

I find your grading a bit high after all these comments. What is more serious: the points of criticism or the grade? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
[/quote]
the grading is so high because despite the production problems, the quality of the songs is top notch. Maybe I was talking hyperbolic about those prblems, they aren't as bad as I made out. Also, I think the production is bad on VXI but at least the guitars are more audible. There is still a problem with the drums and bass but the guitars are mixed better in VXI IMO [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129798:date=Feb 25 2006, 08:21 PM:name=Forostar)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Forostar @ Feb 25 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]129798[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]

Doesn't the high grading despite the amount of criticizm show how absolutely brilliant the album is? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

The album IS absolutely brilliant, and I just don't care about the reputation of the album (I'm delighted that the majority of the members here seem to appreciate it [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /])... for me it is a gem in Iron Maiden's catalogue, Blaze fits the material. I agree that the sound could have been better, but like Conor said, the brilliance of the song material makes up for it.

The album is also a noticable change from the other albums (and I don't mean the change of the singer). For the first time the lyrics are really introspective and reflective, something Maiden hadn't really done before The X Factor, but they continued it with the succeeding albums.

When I first heard the album, I didn't like 2 A.M. and The Unbeliever, but they REALLY grew on me and I love them now (it probably took some time for me to appreciate them because they are a little bit different in style).

I never get tired of listening to the album, which for me is the mark of a true masterpiece.

Blaze Bayley is a great singer and the X-Factor is one of my favorite Maiden albums.

First of all: Welcome! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

We would appreciate it if you could state more details ... why is The X Factor your favourite Maiden album and so forth. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129801:date=Feb 26 2006, 12:36 AM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 26 2006, 12:36 AM) [snapback]129801[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
the grading is so high because despite the production problems, the quality of the songs is top notch. Maybe I was talking hyperbolic about those prblems, they aren't as bad as I made out. Also, I think the production is bad on VXI but at least the guitars are more audible. There is still a problem with the drums and bass but the guitars are mixed better in VXI IMO [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Well I understand of course that the grade is so high despite these comments. But if I made those comments, I am not sure if I would give such a high grade myself. I wonder how "big" your criticism is when you give a 10 (which is a perfect grade) to another album [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Anyway, I am very glad that it seems that TXF is getting more and more respect with the passing of time.

[!--quoteo(post=129635:date=Feb 23 2006, 10:20 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 23 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]129635[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The singer was a guy named Solli.

[/quote]

On the 1st album that is. On 2nd album is a different singer, called Andy Makin.

[!--quoteo(post=129824:date=Feb 26 2006, 02:59 PM:name=Forostar)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Forostar @ Feb 26 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]129824[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
On the 1st album that is. On 2nd album is a different singer, called Andy Makin.
[/quote]

Ah, OK. I only have State Of Mind. Is Makin very different?

The voice of Andy Makin is more powerful in my opinion.
I like the second album and singer better... "With You Again" is beautiful ::

You feel the magic of Adrian and Dave playing together on that song [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129824:date=Feb 26 2006, 01:59 PM:name=Forostar)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Forostar @ Feb 26 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]129824[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well I understand of course that the grade is so high despite these comments. But if I made those comments, I am not sure if I would give such a high grade myself. I wonder how "big" your criticism is when you give a 10 (which is a perfect grade) to another album [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
[/quote]
There are probably only two albums I would give the "10" rating... these would be Master of Puppets and Operation Mindcrime. There is seriously nothing at all i thing could be changed to make them better albums... but that is for a different place and time ::

[!--quoteo(post=129848:date=Feb 26 2006, 07:59 PM:name=TheTrooper666)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(TheTrooper666 @ Feb 26 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]129848[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
So that means you like the sound of the "made out of cardboard"-drums of Master Of Puppets?
[/quote]
they don't sound like that... they sound perfect ::

Back