X Factor & Virtual Xi

Correct, and it being the eleventh album in Maiden's discography makes it clear. Also, the X Factor was named like that because it was the first album with Blaze, thus a new, unknown factor: thus, The X Factor. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

The X Factor is my joint favourite Maiden album with Piece of Mind. Sure, the production is weak but the quality of the songs more than makes up for it. Virtual XI on the other hand is probably my least favourite Maiden album.

A lot of people complain about Blaze having a very different voice compared to Bruce, but why replace your singer with a clone? Blaze's voice was not ideal for the older stuff, but it fitted the new songs perfectly. Part of the reason he was chosen was probably that the band wanted another kind of voice to write for.

I personally believe Bruce leaving was entirely positive for both parts. Maiden got a chance to reinvent themselves and made one of the best pieces in their career, and Bruce went on to do four consecutive brilliant solo albums, including what I consider the best metal album of all time (TCW). If Bruce had stayed on, I suspect we would only have gotten another tired, uninspired Fear of the Dark.

I like The X-Factor a lot but I am not so fond of Virtual XI.

The X-Factor is the darkest album of Maiden, has very nice sound (great drums). It's the only studio-album with the guitarsolos on both sides (left: Dave, right: Janick). And it's an album with many (long) intros. It came out in a period when almost no band did this. Grunge was still hot then. So Aardschok (Dutch metal magazine) slammed it for this reason: "The songs start slowly."

I am not so fond of Blaze's vocals in this period, but he did a decent job on the albums. However I think he sings way better with his solo band nowadays.

I have to admit, that after nearly 8 years, I still think Virtual XI is Maiden's worst album. But to be honest: Dance of Death comes close to be the winner of this "title".

Virtual XI:
Drums:
ON VXI Nicko delivers his smallest contribution ever. There are hardly any drumbreaks/fills to be heard. He might touch his toms 3 or 4 times on the whole album. In an interview he said he did it on purpose, to give the rest of the music more space. For me drums are essential in Iron Maiden's music, since Maiden is one of the very few bands, in which bass guitar and drums have a bigger role than the guitars.

Songs:
The songs on VXI are in two cases very repetitive. Not only the chorus from "The Angel & The Gambler" is, but also parts in "Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger". The chorus from "When Two Worlds Collide" is imo a rip-off from the couplets in the 1986 b-side "That Girl".

@Shadow: I don't see why the production of TXF is weak. I love the sound to be honest.

X-Factor is one of the most underrated albums in metal.

Virtual XI on the other hand i'm not a lover of, but it isn't as bad as people make out!

[!--quoteo(post=128757:date=Feb 10 2006, 06:43 PM:name=macunaima)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Feb 10 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]128757[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'm one of the representatives of that inferior species on this board. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Hmm, no, you may not like Blaze, but at least you don't go around saying "BALZE IS TEH SUXX0R!!!!11" which is what I mean with "Blaze-Bashing".

Blaze's voice suits perfectly the dark themes of the two albums he did with Maiden, as well as the music. Or is it the other around? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

In any case, he was perfect for that particular period of Maiden's career, in my opinion. But it's just my opinion after all. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=128893:date=Feb 12 2006, 09:20 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 12 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]128893[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Blaze's voice suits perfectly the dark themes of the two albums he did with Maiden, as well as the music. Or is it the other around? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"^_^\" border=\"0\" alt=\"happy.gif\" /]

In any case, he was perfect for that particular period of Maiden's career, in my opinion. But it's just my opinion after all. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]

If only more people shared that opinion...

[!--quoteo(post=128896:date=Feb 12 2006, 09:29 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Feb 12 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]128896[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]If only more people shared that opinion...[/quote]They do, Perun, trust me on that... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=128897:date=Feb 12 2006, 08:58 PM:name=SilentLucidity)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SilentLucidity @ Feb 12 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]128897[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
They do, Perun, trust me on that... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
[/quote]
Welcome to the board Silent Lucidity. It's nice too see yet another BLAZE fan (queensryche aswell). What you said about Blaze's voice suiting the two Maiden albums is perfectly correct. It has been well documented that at this stage in Steve Harris' life he was having problems with his wife/ the band etc. This is highlighted in his music being darker and more sinister. Perhaps it's just coincidence that Blaze entered the band when they were entering the darker stages anyway? it must have been the luckiest twist of fate if it was just coincidence [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=128898:date=Feb 12 2006, 10:19 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 12 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]128898[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Welcome to the board Silent Lucidity.[/quote]Thanks. I really feel welcome here [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

With Blaze it's a matter of coincidence that has been helped by circumstances, and Steve's (or whoever had the decisive vote in choosing Blaze) instinct, perhaps. I agree that it was a lucky twist. Even many fans who turned their backs at Maiden at the time, including me [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /] , came to appreciate and even love the Blaze era.

[!--quoteo(post=128815:date=Feb 11 2006, 04:51 PM:name=Forostar)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Forostar @ Feb 11 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]128815[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
@Shadow: I don't see why the production of TXF is weak. I love the sound to be honest.[/quote]
I find the guitar sound a bit lacking. It sort of drowns in the background in places and lacks a certain spark of energy I enjoy in guitar playing. Sometimes it helps building the atmosphere but other times I feel there's something missing - although since the song material is excellent I don't really care. It's a lot like the debut album in that respect.

[!--quoteo(post=128772:date=Feb 10 2006, 07:56 PM:name=macunaima)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Feb 10 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]128772[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hmm, 'effortless' does not mean 'clean.' Have you ever heard Michael Sweet of Stryper? His singing style is clean, but it still sounds as if someone had to squeeze his balls to get that sound through his pipes! Michale Kiske is much better that Michael Sweet, but I don't find his singing as effortless as most of Bruce's stuff. [/quote]
I never said that 'effortles' meant 'clean' I said they seemed (to me) effortless and clean, in other words both, not one meaning the other.
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
(I also don't particluarly like the happy-go-lucky lyrics; if I'm in a good mood, I'd rather listen to Louis Armstrong than some german castrato singing about how great and wonderful we all are.)
[/quote]
That is a matter of taste, I particularly like Helloween's brand of "happy-go-lucky" specially in their early albums.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Also, I must say that one of my big comlaints about DoD, is precisely that Bruce's singing doesn't seem as effortless as it once did. Especially on the title track: it sounds as if Bruce is struggling to keep up with the band.
[/quote]
I noticed that too, and frankly made the cd (for me) less enjoyable.

[!--quoteo(post=128916:date=Feb 13 2006, 12:29 PM:name=Shadow)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Feb 13 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]128916[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I find the guitar sound a bit lacking. It sort of drowns in the background in places and lacks a certain spark of energy I enjoy in guitar playing. Sometimes it helps building the atmosphere but other times I feel there's something missing - although since the song material is excellent I don't really care. It's a lot like the debut album in that respect.
[/quote]
On The X Factor, the accent seems to have been placed on the bass, which enhances the broody atmosphere and serves as an introduction to the darkness of the lyrics in most songs. I think that punchy guitars would have ruined this oppressive and melancholic feeling you get when listening to this album.

Well, I'm not a musician, so what do I know? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

The X Factor and Virtual XI were the last two in my Maiden collection as well (I finally got them a little over a year ago). Mostly because I couldn't find them at any stores where I live (I had to special order them), but I think hearing all of the negative comments made me put off buying them a little bit. Even though I'd heard Man on the Edge, Futureal, and The Clansman and loved them, I was a bit nervous buying the albums, wondering if those would end up being the only good tracks. Definitely not! I love both of the albums and I wish I had bought them sooner! The X Factor is probably my favorite Maiden album (tied with Brave New World). TXF and VXI may not be the most accessible Maiden albums, they do take a little time to get into and maybe aren't the best to start with, but once you do get into them, they seem to stick with you on a deeper level. I can't image Maiden now without those albums. Like them or not, they've certainly made an impact and seem to be the most talked about Maiden albums!

I really like these two albums. like most people i didnt like Blaze at first and didn't even try to listen to songs from these albums. But after a while, i decided that maybe i should give them a try, and that if i didn't like them, i could always return them for a refund.

I bought them and went crazy! I loved these two albums to the point where i started listening to a few
B L A Z E songs because Blaze's voice grew on me.

In other words, i love these two albums to the point where i woudlnt trade them for anything.

Why doesn't anyone like NPFTD? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /] What is it about that particular album no one likes?.. I think it's one of the best albums along with TXF. I may be biased since NPFTD that was my first IM album , I love the energy level [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /] . I can't think of a maiden album without at least one good song. I have to say my least favorites are BNW and Virtual XI. Blaze is a great singer, Bruce a master and Virtual XI was collectively horrible because of the repetitiveness in the songs not just Blaze.

[!--quoteo(post=129553:date=Feb 22 2006, 07:17 PM:name=KUKOMAIDEN)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(KUKOMAIDEN @ Feb 22 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]129553[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
...Virtual XI was collectively horrible because of the repetitiveness in the songs not just Blaze.
[/quote]
Blaze wasn't horrible on VXI. But that's just a side note. The real reason I'm replying is actually different.

So in the first place...

"Objection! Your Honor, you can't preface your second point with 'in the first place'."
I have a feeling no one will recognize this quote or the TV show it came from.

Very well then. Secondly, I agree about the repetitiveness on VXI. I would also say the same problem exists on TXF and BNW, though to a lesser degree. In fact, this is the very reason I once disliked VXI. But once you get used to The Angel And The Never-Ending Chorus, the album really isn't that bad.

I think TXF was a greater overall artistic achievement for Iron Maiden, but I still prefer VXI on a gut-feeling aesthetic level. There is a difference between artistic appreciation and more visceral enjoyment. For example, the Mona Lisa may be a great painting, but if it were possible I'd rather dance with Jessica Rabbit.

[!--quoteo(post=129555:date=Feb 23 2006, 04:13 AM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Feb 23 2006, 04:13 AM) [snapback]129555[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]"Objection! Your Honor, you can't preface your second point with 'in the first place'."I have a feeling no one will recognize this quote or the TV show it came from.[/quote]Ally McBeal? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
But it's a nice one.

The quote somehow sounds familiar, but the only court show I ever watched was Matlock, so I'm assuming that's where it comes from.

Back