Rush Survivor Finished: Red Barchetta wins!

satisfied with results?

• yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Red Barchetta is my favorite song of the ones left in the game, for example. And Limelight is in the second place.

[Warning: Corny Xanadu-fangirling down below. Read at your own risk.]

Red Barchetta is my #2 from this list (my real #2 is Time Stand Still). But Xanadu, and I may or may not be overrating it, is perhaps the best song I've ever heard. I think I like it more than any Maiden song, more than any GN'R song, etc. I love Rush, but I really do think this song shits on Rush's catalog and many other bands' catalogs. It's the perfect marriage of an interesting piece and a moving melody. Yes, I believe it's just as moving as Limelight and Subdivisions, maybe even more so.

There's just... something about it. It's a special song. The Holy Grail of Rush. There are no standout players in the song. Everybody has magnificent moments. You have Geddy laying down some groovy bass, atmospheric synths, and gorgeous vocals. You have Alex with his superb guitar work and that heartbreaking guitar solo. You have Neil doing fuck knows on his drumset (how many percussion instruments does he even use in this song?) and his poignant lyrics. I think the difference between this song and the ones remaining is that this one is just so much more dramatic. And every little detail enhances the song. Even as simple as adding one loud synth note, or putting some chimes in one spot. You just always find something new to love about it.

But I actually think the most moving Rush songs have already been eliminated. Red Sector A, Time Stand Still, and Mystic Rhythms. I also think Closer to the Heart is beautiful, but songs shorter than 3 minutes don't seem to last in these survivors. :p Earthshine and Dreamline are pretty devastating, too.

I agree with Foro on why Red Barchetta has zero votes. It's literally just coasting by. Not that I mind, but if it outlasts Xanadu... no song deserves to outlast Xanadu.

--

Now, all that said, I would like to say I'm really happy to see how long Limelight and Subdivisions have lasted. Though I think Xanadu is the more moving song, I think these are moving, too. There's such melancholy in these two particular tunes. They may not be the most technical songs, but they make you feel something, and that's more important to me at the end of the day. This is an excellent top 5.

Yea..Subdivisions and Limelight are great songs, but them outlasting Xanadu and La Villa is just not right

Well put, KDH. I agree with pretty much everything you said there, except the overarching point that Xanadu is unbeatable.
It's true this forum always puts more emphasis on epics than standard-length songs. It wasn't a conscious thing, but that prejudice may be part of why I'm voting the way I am.
There's a great quote that says "sorry this letter is so long, but I didn't have the time to write anything shorter."
An epic has so much more space and time to be great, it may be easier to write a good epic than compose a perfect short song. And that is what Rush did with three of these finalists.
PS: I love the love for Closer to the Heart (underrated in this Survivor) and Dreamline too (in my top 10)

Some, they sell their dreams for small desires
And lose the race to rats...

Kill Devil Hill and Night Prowler have the keys. They are the only ones having voted for Subdivisions and one of the other first two songs. Since they both picked a different one, I'm pretty sure it could be the end of Subdivisions in a possible tiebreak round. *crosses fingers*

Kill Devil Hill and Night Prowler have the keys. They are the only ones having voted for Subdivisions and one of the other first two songs. Since they both picked a different one, I'm pretty sure it could be the end of Subdivisions in a possible tiebreak round. *crosses fingers*

I didn't vote for Subdivisions. :) Just La Villa.

Here 3 songs face off. Will the pablum brigade finally take down Subdivisions? Will this round end before Bruce Dickinson's tiebreaker? Lets find out!

With another tie, I resorted to using past votes, Strangiato with 2 votes, Subdivisions with 4, so that gets eliminated.
  1. ?
  2. ?
  3. ?
  4. ?
  5. Subdivisions
  6. 2112
  7. Red Sector A
  8. YYZ
  9. The Anarchist
  10. Tom Sawyer

Conflicted on Red Barchetta vs Xanadu; I shall vote later

Back