References to Maiden

I was watching the discovery channel the other day, and there was a show that was called "heave metal airplanes" or something like that, and the host of the show was our very own Bruce Dickinson.

[!--quoteo(post=129957:date=Feb 27 2006, 11:14 PM:name=fuzzboy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fuzzboy @ Feb 27 2006, 11:14 PM) [snapback]129957[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I was watching the discovery channel the other day, and there was a show that was called "heave metal airplanes" or something like that, and the host of the show was our very own Bruce Dickinson.
[/quote]

Really? Wow! I knew there was a show called "Flying Heavy Metal", but this... Incredible!

[!--quoteo(post=129899:date=Feb 27 2006, 01:21 PM:name=Stratocaster)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Stratocaster @ Feb 27 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]129899[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
In friends, Fibi (?) says - "I'm working on a some Iron Maiden covers"....and then you get canned laughter..... :: What funny about that...!? Good for her!
[/quote]

Fibi = Phoebe

[!--quoteo(post=129899:date=Feb 27 2006, 01:21 PM:name=Stratocaster)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Stratocaster @ Feb 27 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]129899[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
In friends, Fibi (?) says - "I'm working on a some Iron Maiden covers"....and then you get canned laughter..... :: What funny about that...!? Good for her!
[/quote]

I saw that and it was quiet funny! I realized that MAIDEN is well known even in Hollywood [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

I don't know if anyone on here plays Games Workshop games, but there are a few Maiden references dotted around in there. They are mostly used in a slightly satirical sense, and I suppose that if someone knew nothing of Iron Maiden, they'd completely overlook such touches.

[!--quoteo(post=131349:date=Mar 9 2006, 08:13 PM:name=Not_Bruce_Dickinson)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Not_Bruce_Dickinson @ Mar 9 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]131349[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I don't know if anyone on here plays Games Workshop games, but there are a few Maiden references dotted around in there. They are mostly used in a slightly satirical sense, and I suppose that if someone knew nothing of Iron Maiden, they'd completely overlook such touches.
[/quote]
Like what? Any examples?

There is a couple that have been missed (as far as I could see).

"Phantom of the Opera" was used in both Lucozade and KFC adverts in the UK around the early 90's.

"Flash of the Blade" was used in some horror B Movie around mid 80's (can't remember the name, but I'm sure someone could tell us).

"How to be a complete bastard" by Adrain Edmonson had a sub-section - "how to be ..... to a baby". Resolution: Stick on an Iron Maiden album at full volume and sit down with a beer (or something along those lines).

[!--quoteo(post=131350:date=Mar 9 2006, 08:27 PM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Mar 9 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]131350[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Like what? Any examples?
[/quote]

One of the psychic powers for an army called the Space Marines is called "Fear of the Darkness." Well, we can all see the link there.

There was another I had in mind, but cannot recall at the momet. I'll edit this later and add it in if I remember it.

Maybe not satirical. In fact, not at all. I was wrong... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=131475:date=Mar 10 2006, 03:45 PM:name=Not_Bruce_Dickinson)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Not_Bruce_Dickinson @ Mar 10 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]131475[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
One of the psychic powers for an army called the Space Marines is called "Fear of the Darkness." Well, we can all see the link there.
[/quote]
Having a fear of the dark is a common experience for many people, especially in childhood. Merely encountering a reference to the phrase "fear of the dark" does not make it an Iron Maiden reference.

Indeed, it's called scotophobia. And that phobia isn't invented by Mr. Harris either.

This is possibly a Maiden reference. It's more of a The Prisoner reference but still worth mentioning. In the online game Wrath II you'll have to shoot little people with lightning. If you don't shoot them they will make phrases, one of them being 'I am not a number'. As I said definately a Maiden reference but still worth mentioning in my opinion.

Back