Olympic Games Rio 2016

Serbians gave the Americans an even bigger scare than Australians, lost by a mere 3 points. Would've gone to overtime had Bogdanovic drained the wide open three at the end.

It was fun to watch Nikola Jokic take a dump on the U.S. bigs. The guy is a big time talent. Had a great rookie season, can't wait to see his progression next season.

Unfortunately the US (coach) doesn't like to take risks. Their only goals:
- let everybody in the team have playing time
- the opponent should not get equal or ahead

Great show (play) is less important (won't happen).

Therefore I really hope this US will be loose (in the end). The Serbs should have played great during the whole match, not just in phases.

Now rowing!

Eight women and men!

edit: Congrats UK and Germany!
Almost silver..... but 2 years ago, on the World Championship Holland wasn't even in the final. So they can be very happy with the bronze.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the US (coach) doesn't like to take risks. Their only goals:
- let everybody in the team have playing time
- the opponent should not get equal or ahead

Great show (play) is less important (won't happen).

Therefore I really hope this US will be loose (in the end). The Serbs should have played great during the whole match, not just in phases.

Now rowing!

Eight women and men!

edit: Congrats UK and Germany!
Almost silver..... but 2 years ago, on the World Championship Holland wasn't even in the final. So they can be very happy with the bronze.

Being English and a rower, today (and yesterday) have been very fun for me. :p

Interesting trivia I found out today that something like 21 out of 29 northern Irish athletes opt to represent RoI in the Olympics. The Good Friday agreement allows them such freedom.

So the Men's 100m final is on at 2 o'clock in the morning; I'll be in bed by then. Could they not have moved it? For me, like.

Yeah, same issue. Pretty much impossible not to find out the result before watching, too, which ruins it probably more than any other sporting event.

In the most important hockey match of the last four years (Netherlands - Australia, quarter final):
Billy Bakker scored with his backhand! In the 49th second!
edit:
Whaaaat? 4-0 victory!

Last edited:
That tennis! What a way to finish a glorious day for Team GB.

Now to wait and watch the 100m - not as if I have anything important tomorrow...

Absolutely over the moon to see Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro retain their Olympic gold message in individual dressage. Not only because they're team GB, but also because of what they represent in the discipline. Top level dressage used to have too many examples of coercive training and horses looking stiff and uneasy. These two may as well be out for a chilled evening ride in the park, it looks so relaxed and naturally expressive. They're setting new standards. A lot of it is down to the influence of another GB rider and trainer, Carl Hester, who firmly believes in establishing natural balance and using classical training methods. Sadly for Carl, he never quite matches the success of his pupil, even if he did get 7th place in his own right.

Schedule-wise, this Olympics is much better for us on the American continents than the last 2 summer games (England/China)

I'm not a fan of the Athletics finals taking place at 2AM. Saturday night/Sunday morning broke me. At least during the Beijing Olympics I could watch that stuff in the afternoon, but then the rowing was all at stupid times in the night/early morning.

I just do not watching events when I already know what happened .. so I for the Olympics, unless it is something historic, I either watch it live or not at all. With pretty much every news site having "breaking news ... "X' wins Gold in 'Y" .. it really kills it for me.

Back