Olympic Games Rio 2016

Ariana

Black-and-white leopard
I thought there should be a special thread dedicated to the Olympics.

A week before the opening, what are your sentiments about Rio as a host, about the situation with the Russian athletes and anything else that you would like to talk about.

What competitions are you looking forward to and where do you expect medals for your country?

Actually, I wanted to post this and this somewhere, but since I didn't know where, I decided to open a new thread. :D

A link to the Olympic schedule

Last edited:
Good idea, I thought of it last week.

I am very disappointed about Russia not being disqualified as a country. There was a hugely organized doping policy. For the athletes from other countries, I don't think it is fair to let sporters take part when they come from a corrupt system.

It wouldn't really be fair to other sports(wo)men to disqualify them because of an unrelated sport. Doubt, say, volleyball players knew about that, it'd be pretty unfair to them. Then again, because of politics we were disqualified from the EUROs in 1992 even though it wasn't the fault of the footballers <_<

I'm mostly passive about Olympic sports, but I'll watch the equestrian disciplines and some of the track events. GBR usually has its hopes pinned on boaty things, bikes and triathlon.

As for the rest, it's politics as usual.

I'll be following the basketball and the athletics closely, don't intend to miss anything that's broadcast on TV. Gonna try to catch the football, cycling, swimming, tennis and volleyball as well.

I used to follow basically every aforementioned sport on Eurosport but I got left behind ever since we started using satellite instead of cable and Eurosport disappeared. Missed every Tour de France since 2013, all swimming championships since the 2012 Olympics, last couple of grand slams and major volleyball tournaments. Olympics are my chance to catch up.

Olympics are my chance to catch up.
That's how I see things too. I don't usually have the time to follow all those sports that I generally have an interest in, so the Olympics allow me to see everything at once.
I'll be following athletics, swimming, tennis, football, volleyball, gymnastics and rowing, but I'd watch anything that's on TV.

I added the schedule of the competitions in the first post.

I'll likely watch a fair bit of it. I really enjoy the sailing and boating segments of the Olympics.

Russia not being disqualified...well, to me, it is hard to say every person in that nation is a cheater. We know that many of them are, and those ones definitely need to be banned. But how do you exclude everyone?

I will probably be watching some of the athletics, weightlifting, swimming and diving. Maybe rowing too.

My TV hasn't been on since April it seems, but I will probably get into it at some point.
It's always easier for Canadians to cheer during the winter games.

Last edited:
I will watch some of it, I prefer the winter games myself, but it is interesting to watch and once every 4 years is plenty for me. Not sure if other countries do this with their TV coverage, but the hyper drama, especially in gymnastics and figure skating makes me want to watch those with the sound off. The "lesser" sports are better to watch with the sound on because all the commentators are not trying to be the story themselves

I love the Olympic Games, for over 30 years. Many sports seen will be. Might be the biggest Summer Olympics ever for my country (at least with the biggest delegation). I have high expectations for Daphne Schippers. Can she do what Fanny Blankers-Koen did in 1948?

And rowing (Holland Acht). This happened in 1996 and who knows it may happen again this summer:

Last edited:
Not sure if other countries do this with their TV coverage, but the hyper drama, especially in gymnastics and figure skating makes me want to watch those with the sound off. The "lesser" sports are better to watch with the sound on because all the commentators are not trying to be the story themselves

I'm not aware of ever hearing the likes of the BBC commentate that way on gymnastics or figure skating, no. I think they tend to be quite quiet in both, mostly letting the action speak for itself.

Consider yourself lucky

The unfortunate thing about these games between the Russian bans and athletes not going due to Zika, we are not really seeing the level of talent we could have been seeing. For Rio (the city), these games have disaster written all over them financially

Good idea, I thought of it last week.

I am very disappointed about Russia not being disqualified as a country. There was a hugely organized doping policy. For the athletes from other countries, I don't think it is fair to let sporters take part when they come from a corrupt system.

You should really lay off those anti-russia pills.

Don't you think 90% of all countries should be disqualified then?
For these Olympic Games? No. Unless it is proven that these countries have done the same amount of treachery, on this gigantic, government involved scale.
I'm anti-unfair play. Russia "happens" to be the "bad" nation in this case, not Mongolia.

Back