Olympic Games Rio 2016

Theme song for the football final tonight: Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence.

It should be evident why it is so.

14079474_10154890560181840_3603072447994473013_n.jpg

Last edited:
Bah, two 4th places for the Netherlands again. Women volleyball and woman handball.

Still!

For handball this was a first time at the Olympics! This team has the right age to grow and be back at the next Olympics!
For the volleyball women this was the best performance in Olympic history (previous two times: 5th and 6th in 1996 and 1992 respectively).

Last edited:
The final in women's handball is more impressive from a goalkeeper/defense perspective than from an attacking one. 12-9 to Russia five minutes into the 2nd half. At this pace it'll finish with around 20 goals for each team. Compare that to the full time result in the semi - Russia-Norway 31-31.

Edit: It's over, the score is 22-19 and Russia are the champions. Now time for men's football!

Last edited:
OK, back to the Olympics.

Barring a miracle in women's golf, Norway will finish the Games with only 4 bronze medals (two in rowing, one in wrestling, one in women's handball - not there yet, but a six goal lead with 8 minutes left makes it look good). This is the worst collective performance of Norwegian athletes in Summer Olympics since 1964! Not even close to medals in any of the athletics event. In fact, most of our runners are currently at a level where we say "well done" to those who got close to qualifying for the final. The European Champion in the men's 1500m, Filip Ingebrigtsen, could perhaps have done something, but got disqualified after the semi-final after pushing his way past a competitor.

For comparison: In Sydney 16 years ago, we had 5 gold medal winners.

Are all the talented youth routed to winter sports these days?

The situation is very similar for us, too. We have won a total of 3 medals in Rio - 1 silver (women's high jump) and 2 two bronze (women's wrestling and group artistic gymnastics). Not even close to medals anywhere else.

And again, in comparison, we had 5 gold medals, 13 medals in total, in Sydney. The only difference is that we suck even worse in winter sports. :p

We had ten fourth places. :/
EDIT:

Okay, these were not the most successful Summer Olympics for the Netherlands.

Olympic Games ; total amount of medals; amount of golden medals
Atlanta 1996 ; 19 ; 4
Sydney 2000 ; 25 ; 12
Athens 2004 ; 22 ; 4
Beijing 2008 ; 16 ; 7
London 2012 ; 20 ; 6
Rio de Janeiro 2016 ; 19 ; 8

Last edited:
Olympic champs @ Men's handball!

1440.gif

Congrats! Watched the last 15 minutes of the game. I thought it was over at 25-20, but the French managed to make it a bit interesting towards the end.

Handball is non-existent in my part of the world.
Definitely entertaining and looks like it would fun to play.

At the moment the USA basketball team totally trash Serbia in the final. But their coach is an inhuman weirdo. There are two players (Golden State Warriors) who didn't play a single second in this match and throughout the whole tournament were used sporadically. While I'm typing this, Green finally was allowed to enter the field. But what about Barnes?

edit: Barnes just came in.

Maybe .. but he is one of the top college coaches of all time ...Normally .. the 11th/12th guy on the team rarely see the court ... on this team .. those guys are 11 and 12.

Nice ...

Matt Centrowitz of the United States ran from the front and held off Taoufik Makhloufi of Algeria at the line to win the gold medal in the men's 1,500 meters.
The last American to win the men's 1,500 was Mel Sheppard at the 1908 London Olympics

Maybe .. but he is one of the top college coaches of all time ...Normally .. the 11th/12th guy on the team rarely see the court ... on this team .. those guys are 11 and 12.
Normally when? In a normal NBA match? Not at the Olympics I suppose. The commentator (who isn't a newbie I assure you!) was agonized about this.

Last edited:
Yes, in an NBA game .. I am guessing after the (too) close games early on, Coach K decided to treat these as normal games with normal rotations versus treating the games like exhibition games. Obviously anything less than a Gold would be viewed as a complete failure

I see that. But around half time the difference was very big already. In the 2nd quarter it was 40-22. He waited very long.

Anyway, it wasn't a nice match to watch, but a deserved win of course. And Anthony broke the top scorer at Olympics record (scored more than Michael Jordan and LeBron James).

Harrison Barnes had no business being in the team. He's not that good.

Draymond not being used that much has more to do with the lineups, Draymond is normally a power forward and a small ball center, but in FIBA ball Draymond at 4 didn't work and Coach K opted not to try him out as a small ball 5.

Harrison Barnes had no business being in the team. He's not that good.

There is that too ... if some players had not dropped out over not wanting to go to Rio .. he would be nowhere near that team. Green also was nursing some injuries in the playoffs last year and played a ton of games over the past two years with the Warriors .. that may have factored in as well.

Back