Olympic Games Rio 2016

GB v Fiji in the final of the sevens. Not that surprised given how both teams have competed so far. Fiji are traditionally brilliant at 7s and England and Wales are pretty good individually. Should be a good final.

I haven't seen a minute of it to be honest. They don't show it (yet) on TV (or I've missed it) and in my choice of streams I don't recall I have seen it, or there's always something else I prefer.

What time were these matches mostly? I could try to see the final.

The matches were generally early to late evenings. If you get to see the final it was a bit of a one sided affair as the Fijians came out of the blocks and hammered TeamGB quite convincingly. A medal for TeamGB was expected, but gold was out of their grasp with the form of the Fijians. The thing about Sevens is that it all about speed and handling, get that right and you're good to go. And they play it on a full size pitch.

The Brits just can't beat their former colonies in sports, can they?

No, hence the months of grumbling after any sports tournament, usually by people who have some strange expectation of winning everything.

On the first day of athletics events in Rio, the women's 10,000m was won by Almaz Ayana (Ethiopia), she smashed the world record by 14 seconds!

The Montenegro national anthem feels odd. The first half sounds like a marche funèbre, the rest has a more regular, anthemic feel.

The US National Women's Soccer Team was just defeated in penalties by Sweden. They won't even medal.

This clears the biggest upcoming obstacle to Canada - if we can clear France and likely Germany. If the Canadian women win gold it will be the most important Canadian gold medal in a Summer Olympics since Donovan Bailey in 1996.

There may or may not be some of you wondering why I've never talked about Turkish athletes on this thread.

It's because we fucking suck. 1 medal so far and it came from a nationalized Turkmen athlete.

The US National Women's Soccer Team was just defeated in penalties by Sweden. They won't even medal.

This clears the biggest upcoming obstacle to Canada - if we can clear France and likely Germany. If the Canadian women win gold it will be the most important Canadian gold medal in a Summer Olympics since Donovan Bailey in 1996.

And the US goalkeeper has gone and further embarrassed herself by insulting the winning Sweden team...

Back