NOW WATCHING

Been Netflixing A LOT of Futurama and all I can say is I don't remember it being so dark when I watched it first time around, but DAMN!

I watched all of Futurama this past year as well, that show never got the credit it deserved, incredibly funny and yeah .. pretty damn dark in places.

When that show was really on, it was as good as TV gets IMO

Last edited:
I didn't see Ghostbusters but I'm not surprised that it wasn't bad. Everything surrounding that movie (positive or negative) was blown out of proportion. Realistically I'm sure it was just OK.

Ghostbusters was bad. The characters had no consistency because they sold out their characters every other scene for jokes that didn't even go over. This was most specifically the case with Kate McKinnon's character, who changed and did random things (most likely based on improvisation) that should have been kept out of the film. The comedy is directed and edited with an absolute drudge of a pace and the film turns out completely tone deaf because of it. The ending becomes a tired special fx action film with no stakes because we have not come to care for any of the characters, except maybe Leslie Jones (who surprisingly turns in the most consistent and stable performance). Thor is probably the most entertaining part of the whole film, which is sad considering the sheer amount of female talent on screen.

TL;DR - Ghostbusters feels like a director, writer, and cast so in love with themselves that they forgot how to make a tonally-consistent, funny, or even remotely likeable film.

Watched a few movies on this trip. Apart from Blood Father, I saw all of them at least once before, but I wanted to check them all out again.

Sleeping With The Enemy
Simple dumb thriller. Julia Roberts is awesome (never thought I'll say this but it's true :p).

Pretty Woman
I was kind of drunk so my opinion is skewed but it's a solid movie.

Notting Hill
One of the best romantic comedies? Yes it is. Rhys Ifans steals the show obviously.

Source Code
Solid time loop movie. Think they wanted to make a TV show out of it, dunno how it's would've worked.

Collateral Damage
Surprised that this one has such low reviews. One of rare Arnie movies where he doesn't shoot anyone, but still kicks ass. They put his fireman skills to good use and he wasn't too op. Thought it was funny that Cliff Curtis who is from New Zealand plays a Columbian terrorist with an Italian name. Seen the twist from miles away though.

Ransom
Mel Gibson is as awesome in this movie as much as Rene Russo is awful. Gary Sinise is awesome too, shame that he's wasting his talent on procedural cop shows <_<

Blood Father
I was drunk for this one too and I remember I didn't like the ending, but Mel Gibson fucking shit up was great. I know he did shitty stuff but should definitely be in more movies.

Just watched Lion, an absolutely beautiful looking film that I feel fell a little short on the script side. It's a heartbreaking and heartwarming true story, but so many things are left unclear in the script that I find the overall film hard to love.

Well, terrible was an exaggeration, but I didn't like it at all. It feels like the show is turning into some kind of low budget James Bond. The plot is a series of uninteresting twists, the characters have become caricatures of themselves, and the humour is painfully self-conscious. They need to calm things down and get back to writing detective stories.

I take you're not talking about this particular episode's basic story, more about the overarching story that is picked up in the episode from previously?

Saw Alien Vs Predator Requiem Unrated Blu-Ray and it had a trailer for Jumper from 2008. I had forgotten about that film. It was a good sci-fi film with Hayden Christensen and Samuel Jackson where again (like in SW Ep III) they are enemies. I think that is where Hayden met Rachel Bilson. They were married afterwards (and still are).

I'm a little more than halfway through Series 3 of The Fall and honestly I'm really bored. It's so slow compared to the first two series and it feels like I'm watching the same scenes over and over again.

It was eight years ago since this old Dutch director was mentioned on this forum but his latest film Elle won two Golden Globes! It came to Paul Verhoeven as a surprise. He thanks Hollywood (foreign press) for being so open minded. The film doesn't really feature a likeable character, someone you can easily sympatize with. I saw it one month ago and indeed and found it a well made thriller, but
the main character is very unlikable (a bitch).

Back to the director: finally he won a big American prize!

Golden Globes for:
-Best foreign film
-Best actress in a drama film

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...n-globes-isabelle-huppert-20170108-story.html

Back