NOW WATCHING

Yes, no one takes it this far. :)

edit:
I do think Hitch and Lang developed some techniques out of nothing (just with their mind). At least they made up more themselves than people who take ideas from other film directors.

Example of one of the Hitchcock technique, used a lot in Rear Window:
Point of View Editing

Jimmy Stewart looks at dog and then we see him smiling. Jimmy Stewart looks at a woman undressing and then we see him smiling. Those two smiles have completely different meanings, even if they are the exact same smile.

pov-change.jpg
Putting an idea into the mind of the character without explaining it in dialogue is done by using a point-of-view shot sequence. This is subjective cinema. You take the eyes of the characters and add something for them to look at.

- Start with a close-up of the actor
- Cut to a shot of what they're seeing
- Cut back to the actor to see his reaction
- Repeat as desired

You can edit back and forth between the character and the subject as many times as you want to build tension. The audience won't get bored. This is the most powerful form of cinema, even more important than acting. To take it even further have the actor walk toward the subject. Switch to a tracking shot to show his changing perspective as he walks. The audience will believe they are sharing something personal with the character. This is what Hitchcock calls "pure cinema." (Truffaut)

Note: If another person looks at the character in point-of-view they must look directly at the camera.

Last edited:
I think throwing an anime sequence in the middle of Kill Bill was very creative. That was like if there was a jazz interlude in the middle of Angel of Death.

I think throwing an anime sequence in the middle of Kill Bill was very creative. That was like if there was a jazz interlude in the middle of Angel of Death.
I think Tarantino's quite playful in that respect.
How many people knew all of these references though? Did you? Did you not enjoy (just a wee bit) finding out where some of those scenes were taken from? When you find these things out, you go seek out the originals; maybe you watch the whole film. He's sharing his cinematic experiences with you; scenes reborn in a new form for another generation. It's not stealing, more a respectful tip of the hat. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan, but he's chosen to make films that way, and you can't say he's not good at doing it. I get that it's not pioneering, not breaking new ground. But as Perun says, who can do that now. Nothing on screen feels very fresh to me today.

For some it can be a sport to find out all the references.

source
He has an uncanny ability to zero in on the unique merits of a movie that looks to others like pure junk, and incorporate details into his own pics: a look, a shot, a line, or the entire plot (the little-known Ken Norton starrer “Drum” inspired “Django Unchained”).

I steal from every single movie ever made,” Tarantino once told Empire magazine. “If my work has anything, it’s that I’m taking this from this and that from that and mixing them together.”

As he put it: “Great artists steal; they don’t do homages.”

He'd probably agree with you about the quality of older films then; since he's probably seen most of them.

Personally, I love the idea of taking a total turd, seeing a shining gem in it, and resurrecting that. That's an idea/method that appeals to me quite a lot actually.

He is right. I look at his movies as a tribute to film making in general. He still blends these influences in a way that nobody else does.

Anyway I would say his best attribute is character development and dialog. Lot of originality and creativity there.

Totally not a fit for this thread, but that is exactly what Blue Oyster Cult did in their (excellent) track Monsters.
Tarantino is a noted BOC fan. (Tongue emoticon not working)

Yep. Same thing is happening in music, especially 'classical'. Although...
@Forostar: Terrence Malick's Tree Of Life is wonderful.
Absolutely. The pedastal that pre- 20th century music is held up on is ridiculous. I'm not anywhere near a film expert but I assume it's the same attitude suggesting the artform has degraded. If it's anything like music, there's even more good stuff readily available out there. Just have to know where to look.

@mckindog QT's music choice is another strong quality. He has a really eclectic taste and knows how to use music effectively. Will check that tune out when I get home.

I do not think I'll fully agree with some things said by everyone, but is that necessary? No.

Meanwhile: To all the people who mentioned directors, or still would like to: Cheers! Would be cool if you would mention some of your favourite films made by them.

If you like to see more older films, I'll gladly return you the favour, if I can suit to your interests. I'm focused on certain people (actors / directors) and don't do all genres (exhaustively).
Both started a wee bit earlier, but I think Spike Jonze and Wes Anderson could arguably fit this. Loved Jonze, never seen anything by Anderson.
Spike Jonze: Being John Malkovic (1999) sounds famous. I'm not sure if I've seen it! I think not.
Wes Anderson: I've seen parts of The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014). In a hotel room! I didn't like it much. I certainly did see a particular (own) style and know it was very successful.
Not exactly this century, but close - Guy Ritchie.
Guy Ritchie: I've heard of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998), but don't think I've seen it. I've seen Sherlock Holmes (2009) and yet have to see the sequel (I have it at home somewhere)
Terrence Malick, Jim Jarmush, Alex Garland
Alex Garland: don't know anything, haven't read much on him yet. I see he started out as novelist and screenwriter before directing.
Terrence Malick:

Yep. Same thing is happening in music, especially 'classical'. Although...
@Forostar: Terrence Malick's Tree Of Life is wonderful.
Got it.
Jim Jarmush: I have Dead Man (1995) on my wishlist for a while. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) sounds very interesting as well. Haven't gone through his other films yet, but I think I don't have seen any.

Last edited:
Spike Jonze: Being John Malkovic (1999) sounds famous. I'm not sure if I've seen it! I think not.

You might not like the overall strangeness, but Being John Malkovich and 2013's Her are both must-sees.

BTW, since Malkovich is Kaufmann's screenplay, I also recommend Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind (2004) by Michel Gondry. Very innovative, very interesting, worth your time, IMHO.

Funny you talk about impact. I've seen Sunshine only once and that must be about 11 years ago. Still the memory and the impact is very strong. That reminds me of how I've seen Children of Men (the previous film by Cuarón before Gravity) once as well, in cinema in 2006 when it came out and the memory and the impact lasted throughout the 9 years or so until I've seen it again. I still love it, by the way.

These two movies, A Most Wanted Man, A River Runs Through It and the Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight trilogy are probably the harshest regarding that "times seen/beloved" ratio.

You were confusing me there for a second, as there is the Danny Boyle/Alex Garland film Sunshine (2007). Now that is an interesting film in terms of music, cinematography, mood/atmosphere, psychology, etc. I like that film a lot. Awe, true awe, is something I find exhilarating when encountered in literature (quite uncommon) &/or film (truly uncommon); and Sunshine had it. The film was only ruined by the ending; some sort of dreamy ambiguous Lynchian mind-fuck ending would have elevated this film to true greatness in my eyes. Probably one of my favourite films of the last decade; although flawed in many respects.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Inarritu yet. Steve McQueen - he has only made 3 movies, 2 I have seen and they are both excellent. Ben Affleck has come into his own too - Argo and The Town are fantastic films.

I'm also quite up on Tom Hooper, who directed The King's Speech and The Danish Girl and the recent remake of Les Mis.

Looks like the Dark Tower film is set for July 2017 release. Very crowded month with War of the Planet of the Apes, Spider-Man Homecoming, Jumanji II, & Pirates of Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales

So, as it's Christmas, me and my wife have watched The Secret Life of Pets and the Czech fairy tale Anděl Páně yesterday and today we continue with Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride and tonight we're probably finish it off with The Devil's Advocate.

Currently in the middle of Nightmare. Apart from Advocate, which is one of my favourite movies, I doubt anything will rise above mere "pleasant" (well, I've seen all of the movies before apart from Pets, so it's no wonder), but pleasant it is, indeed. It's a most peculiar experience to actually hear Danny Elfman croon, now isn't it?

Back