NOW WATCHING

Saw Assassin's Creed (2016) at the pictures.

There are countless examples of failures when doing video-game adaptations, and this is sadly no exception. Decent production values, some spectacular scenes and big name actors aside - Assassin's Creed is a mess. It jumps back and forth and never really finds a pace. My main criticisms would be lack of engaging story, which circles around an ancient artefract - the origin of which is never explained. This has the effect of making it even more farfetched than the premise of reliving the events experienced by a distant ancestor through genetic memory to figure out where this artefract is hidden. Convinced yet? Still, I feel like there are redeeming qualities to this film, and somewhere there exists an alternate reality where everything clicked and Assassin's Creed is a genuinely good film - but it is not in this one.

Watched Dark Shadows (2012).

Really liked this film. Loved the style (it's Tim Burton), the music and the humour.

Started watching Netflix's The OA. Currently 6 episodes in. It's an interesting story and quite engaging. It reminds me a bit of Stranger Things, although not as good, admittedly.

Started watching Netflix's The OA. Currently 6 episodes in. It's an interesting story and quite engaging. It reminds me a bit of Stranger Things, although not as good, admittedly.
I recently finished The OA. It's an entertaining watch, but I felt that the ending was pretty underwhelming and leaves too much stuff unanswered.

If you read what Gatiss said, I think they just wanted a kind of welcome back episode; because other than the Christmas special it'd been three years since season 3. But as a standalone episode, yeh, it was just okay; I didn't think it was that good.

I recently finished The OA. It's an entertaining watch, but I felt that the ending was pretty underwhelming and leaves too much stuff unanswered.
I just finished it too. There will be Season 2, so I guess that's a lot of stuff was left unexplained. I'm looking forward to it, actually.

If you read what Gatiss said, I think they just wanted a kind of welcome back episode; because other than the Christmas special it'd been three years since season 3. But as a standalone episode, yeh, it was just okay; I didn't think it was that good.
Saw one and a part of two. One was written by Gatiss. Perhaps he is just not a very good writer. I'll check if others by him did not score great either.

I just watched One From the Heart - a particularly awful 1981 Francis Ford Coppola "musical" that tries to be artsy and is just terrible. Not even the Tom Waits soundtrack is very good.

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
I don't think the movie is that funny, but it's really well done and has a lot of heart. Also the songs are glorious.

This one's been in my head since I saw the movie:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
I've had this one on my list for years and I finally decided to watch it. I actually didn't expect it to be as good as it is, and also didn't expect some more dramatic moments (Cameron stuff at the end). Now I'm craving for more 80's comedies :D

I'm halfway through S1 of Luke Cage and really enjoying it, more on that in the Marvel thread.

Captain Fantastic - starts out really weird and stays weird, but it really won me over in the end. A very interesting sideways glance at parenthood and modern counter-culture. Viggo Mortenson is great.

Zoolander 2 - Absolutely terrible. The hipster kid from SNL and Berringer Cattlecall are the only redeemable parts of the whole "film".

Jackie - Another one that really crept up on me throughout. There's not much going on, but Natalie Portman is fantastic and it's gorgeously recreated. Very interesting perspective on a time that has been done to death in other media.

Hidden Figures - A feel good story, but exceptionally well done. I truly loved it. Cast is great, direction is great, message is great.

Back