NOW WATCHING

Well, after all that I think my favorite movie this year was Zootopia.

Well, Hateful Eight had a release here only in January (and apparently I'm quite alone in absolutely loving it), but that doesn't count then and I still haven't seen the new Bourne, but I think I agree so far.

I loved the hateful eight too, but I saw the limited run in December of last year, so I'm not counting it.

Remember is the name of the movie I just saw. Stars Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, Dean Norris & 1 other I won't spoil. Christopher's character is hunting the Nazi who killed his family in Auschwitz. But the twist ending...I did not see coming. Recommended you don't read about this before you see it. Just watch it. Great scene with Dean Norris (he played Big Jim on Under the Dome).

Remember is the name of the movie I just saw. Stars Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, Dean Norris & 1 other I won't spoil. Christopher's character is hunting the Nazi who killed his family in Auschwitz. But the twist ending...I did not see coming. Recommended you don't read about this before you see it. Just watch it. Great scene with Dean Norris (he played Big Jim on Under the Dome).

Watched that one last night. Christopher Plummer isn't an actor I think about a lot, but I always find myself thinking that he puts on remarkable performances. And this one was one of the most impressive ones I've ever seen.

Saw Rogue One (2016) at the pictures.

Didn't have too high expectations, I did after all hate The Force Awakens last year, but this one was absolutely fantastic. Go see it!

9/10.

Last year I vowed to watch more movies in 2016 than ever before. That...did not happen. I failed. I failed spectacularly. 2016 took our heroes and it also took my movie-watching time.

I saw 33 movies in 2016. Thirty-three. That's awful. Life was busier than ever this year, I moved house, planned a wedding, got a bunch of new jobs, etc. etc. but I'm still quite disappointed. I vow to watch more movies in 2017. Even if that only totals up to 34. I think that is a resolution I can keep.

Best Films Watched This Year (That I Had Not Seen Before)
:
- Calvary, Hell or High Water, Captain America: Civil War, Rogue One

Worst Films Watched This Year (That I Had Not Seen Before):
- The BFG, Ghostbusters

Biggest Waste of Time (Shoot Me If I Ever Decide to Watch Them Again):
- Stars Wars: Ep. I-III

Jan 8th - Black Mass (7/10)
Jan 11th - The Big Short (9/10)
Jan 12th - Joy (4/10)
Jan 15th - The Revenant (8/10)
Jan 19th - Carol (4/10), Bridge of Spies (9/10)
Jan 22nd - The X-Files: I Want to Believe (7/10)
Jan 25th - Steve Jobs (6/10)
Jan 26th - Sisters (4/10)
Jan 30th - Spotlight (8/10)
Feb 3rd - The Danish Girl (4/10)
March 5th - The Godfather (10/10)
March 13th - In Bruges (10/10)
March 15th - The Guard (9/10)
March 17th - Calvary (10/10)
April 10th - How to Be Single (5/10)
April 12th - Deadpool (8/10), Midnight Special (6/10)
May 9th - Groundhog Day (9/10)
May 29th - Captain America: Civil War (10/10)
July 8th - The BFG (1/10)
July 22nd - Ghostbusters (2/10)
Sept 4th - Hell or High Water (10/10)
Sept 27th - Don't Breathe (7/10)
Oct 11th - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (3/10)
Oct 12th - Dark Skies (8/10)
Oct 18th - Desierto (7/10)
Nov 13th - Doctor Strange (9/10)
Dec 16th - Stars Wars, Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (1/10)
Dec 20th - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (6/10)
Dec 21st - Star Wars, Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (2/10)
Dec 26th - Stars Wars, Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith (3/10)
Dec 27th - Rogue One (9/10)

Saving Grace - I did watch the entire series of Game of Thrones, and the quality of that more than made up for my lack of movie watching.

Have no idea how many films I watched in 2016. Saw Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Sully, Doctor Strange and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story at the pictures, all of which were really good films with the highlight being Rogue One. Don't go to the pictures that often, it's too expensive. Rogue One was over 17 USD, and that's before the 2 extra dollars you pay when you forgot to uncheck for a pair of 3D glasses... And, sales tax on cinema tickets just went from 6% to 25% effective January 1 so it just became a lot more expensive than that.

Current movie prices are insane. I'm lucky that my jobs offer me to get days off so I can go to early films, which are always way cheaper. Also, if you're an AT&T customer you can get 2 for 1 tickets on Tuesdays (which is already the cheapest day at the cinema).

And, sales tax on cinema tickets just went from 6% to 25% effective January 1 so it just became a lot more expensive than that.
Last time I was in Sweden the final charge to go (myself and my girlfriend) came to about $52 CAD.

Theater by my house has $5 matinees. Every movie I went to this year cost $25 for myself and my four siblings, except for Doctor Strange which my brother insisted we see in imax 3D. Meh.

I go to fewer and fewer movies each in .. in part because of the price, in part because other people in the theater are more and more distracting, and in part knowing I can just watch them at home a few months later. I think Star Trek and Star Wars are the only movies I saw in theaters last year.

Interesting discussion.

I'd also like to look at the people and way they made films. Do we have figures as revolutionary and/or influential as e.g. Hitchcock, Kurosawa and Kubrick (I just mention a few) these days? No, we do not.

I can only think of one, because I've made a conscious effort to follow his career and that is James Wan, writer/director/producer of Saw, Saw III, the Conjuring franchise, Dead Silence, Lights Out, to name a few.

The creative team he collaborates with is also responsible for the rest of the Saw, Insidious and Paranormal Activity franchises. Those vary greatly in quality (specially the sequels), but a decent team nonetheless. I prefer the stuff he directs vs. the stuff he simply produces (I.e lights out or anabelle.)

There are others whose work I enjoy, but haven't made the same effort to see/hunt down their works. I LOVE horror and I like that Wan and his collaboraters are clearly a fans of late 60's early 70s horror like Rosemary's Baby, Texas chainsaw massacre, The Exorcist, etc.

Has he INNOVATED anything? I can't say, but I do know he and his team make competent, even great (The conjuring) new horror.

Anyway, I've seen WAAAAY too many movies to list them all so here are but a few with some thoughts

The Ghostbusters remake: speaking of a team of peeps making good stuff, these SNL ladies plus Melissa McCarthy are hilarious. I don't see why people had such a problem with this movie. Huh, now that I think about it, I follow this group too, If Kristen Wigg or Melissa McCarthy are in it, I'll watch it.

Rogue One: WOW... just... WOW. This movie was great, better than Force Awakens. It was Dark, it was powerful, did a great job in expanding the Star Wars Universe a tad and recreating the feel and music of the original trilogy was amazing.

Central Intelligence: predictable buddy comedy, but The Rock had me cracking up the whole movie.

Tarzan: Impressive landscapes and cinematography, liked that they didn't go the tried and true path with the story, but still a bit of a snoozefest.

Finding Dory: Fuck you Pixar, stop making me cry, I'm an adult. Highly recommended.

War Dogs: Who knows how much truth is in this "true story," but it was very entertaining. Miles Teller is suddenly everywhere. Whiplash was great, then he disappeared and now he's in at least 3 "big" movies.

Been Netflixing A LOT of Futurama and all I can say is I don't remember it being so dark when I watched it first time around, but DAMN!

There's more, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Back