New posters! Who are you?

Since this is obviously turning into a new "Newbies" thread, I've taken the liberty to pin it.

I'm 18 and I'm from Connecticut, USA. Originally from Minsk, Belarus. I play electric guitar and am in the process of starting an amateur (very amateur) band. Since I got Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death last November, I've become a huge metal fan. Mostly I stick to classic and power metal, but I also listen to a few thrash bands and a few softer (by metal standards) rock bands. Iron Maiden and Deep Purple are the only bands I listen to religiously, though.

Hello Boys and girls. I haven't been posting a lot for the past 6 months because my computer was broken and it took me a while to buy a new one and also because I don't have much time. But I read almost everything posted here.

What's doughty ? Sounds good !

Welcome Helphyre! (I see what you did there :p)

Syl, don't be lost to us.  Post more!

Hello there. :hello: I'm 19 and I'm from Bulgaria. I'm currently a student in our capitol city, but originally I'm from our biggest seaside town. A week ago one of my biggest dreams came true, I saw Iron Maiden live! Now I'm looking forward to seeing live my other favourite band - System of a Down (unfortunately currently on hiatus...  <_< ). Seeing Maiden again would be terrific though. B)

Technically I'm not a new poster here, but I guess a short intro could be in order:

Anomica, Swedish (Halmstad to be precise), one of the older (or more mature?) members here. I turned 40 a few months ago. I'm married and have 3 kids. The oldest are into similar style music as myself, but is progressing away into hair metal and Metallica, and I'm not interested in following her :)

Musically, I'm into Maiden (duh), Bruce D solo (sometimes better than Maiden, in my opinion), Judas Priest, ACDC, most guitar based blues, Black Label Society, Gotthard (really great band, about to hit Europe big time, I think - huge in Switzerland), Hammerfall when I'm in the right mood. And of course the old 70s stuff, Sabbath, Purple, LedZep, you know what I mean. You'll never find thrash/black/death in my mp3/cdplayer since I hate the growl stuff and I really can't seem to get into music like In Flames and those. I'm desperately looking for some new, great stuff though, so any tips are welcome and will be rewarded ;)

Anomica said:
I'm desperately looking for some new, great stuff though, so any tips are welcome and will be rewarded ;)
You said you liked Led Zeppelin so I think you should have a go at the last solo album of Robert Plant (formerly Zepp's lead singer) entitled "Mighty rearranger"
B0007Z4S4C.08.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

"I'm desperately looking for some new, great stuff though, so any tips are welcome and will be rewarded"

You didn't mention Savatage in your list there so I thought I'd mention it for you...:p...great band, I really recommend their live album Ghost in the Ruins for a taste of 'em. :)

Thanks to JackKnife and Natalie (are you stalking me, by the way? :blink: :bigsmile:)

I'll try them both. Praises for you both.

In addition to the Plant solo album noted by JackKnife, Fate of Nations is also an excellent album by the man. This has a couple of his more known tracks (29 Palms, If I Were A Carpenter). Good album all round.

Also, if you like 70's rock/metal, have you ever listened to some Uriah Heep?

Albie said:
Also, if you like 70's rock/metal, have you ever listened to some Uriah Heep?

Seconded. I think Albie and I could open an official Maidenfans.com Uriah Heep fanclub ;)

Anomica said:
Thanks to JackKnife and Natalie (are you stalking me, by the way? :blink: :bigsmile:)

I'll try them both. Praises for you both.

Nope. Just reading the new forum posts very carefully as I have nothing better to do with my time at the moment. Thanks for the praise! ;)

Well, Albie. Uriah Heep is one of the bands camping on my mp3-player :) I happen to love that band, especially July Morning and Circle of hands. The singer's voice (his name eludes me at the moment) is brilliant.

David Bryon was the vocalists in those days - and you're right, his voice was one of the most purest I've ever heard. I'm not so up to date with their newer stuff, but in the 70's they had brilliant albums.

Perun said:
Seconded. I think Albie and I could open an official Maidenfans.com Uriah Heep fanclub ;)
And I'm sure we could recruit some "newbies". :D

David Byron truly was one of the greatest hard rock vocalists ever. "Pure" is a perfect way to describe his voice, but let's not forget that, along with Ian Gillan, he pioneered the high-pitched shriek that is now so characteristic of the genre.
Nowadays, the vocalist is Bernie Shaw (ex-Praying Mantis), who has a quite different (softer) voice. I personally like it, but I still prefer Byron, at least on the old stuff.

If anyone else here is reading this and wants to know what this band is all about, I recommend getting the albums "Look At Yourself" and "Demons And Wizards" for a start. It really can't get much heavier than this, I think.

Anomica said:
desperately looking for some new, great stuff though, so any tips are welcome and will be rewarded ;)

Go through the Cd Reviews thread for albums and bands that might catch your eye :D

Back