Judas Priest

Ahh, of course!

edit:

"Nostradamus" has registered the following first-week chart positions around the world:

#3 - Croatia
#3 - Czech Rep
#3 - Finland
#4 - Hungary (international chart; #12 overall)
#5 - Germany
#5 - Sweden
#6 - Europe
#9 - Canada
#11 - USA
#12 - Norway
#12 - Switzerland
#13 - Austria
#16 - Australia
#17 - Denmark
#26 - Italy
#26 - Spain
#30 - UK
#31 - New Zealand
#38 - France
#50 - Netherlands

After marching around in IKEA picking furniture for my new apartment and trying to switch parking light bulbs on my car (it turned out I had bought wrong bulbs, annoying since I spent half an hour loosening what I needed to loosen to get to the damn socket) I was so tired that I actually fell asleep during the second half of the 20:00 football match. Therefore no listening yesterday.

But now, after returning from four hours of walking/running in the woods I am listening to Sad Wings of Destiny. I really like it. Have any other thought that Priest might have been a little inspired by Black Sabbath when writing songs for this? I think there are plenty of parts reminding me of Sabbath. Of course, Ozzy could never have done the vocals like Rob, but bass and guitar isn't free of Sabbath methinks ... not that that's a bad thing.

I agree with Perun ;)

Glad you like Sad Wings Ed! Here's something more related your country and Priest:
An eight-minute audio interview with Judas Priest's bassist Ian Hill conducted by Norway's Metal Express Radio has been posted online at this location.

Well, I'd say that one Saturday in Ikea is more like a week in Hell (and I dont mean here -actually the airport you can see right north of Hell is Trondheim Airport Værnes, they really should rename it Hell International Airport. Imagine flying flight 666 to Hell International Airport  :innocent:)

Thanks for the interview link - but it buffered all the time, perhaps the website's server was slow. I usually don't have problems with playing audio on the web. But Ian Hill had some interesting things to say.

Helsinki's code is "hel".  I was once on a flight 646 with destination "hel".  True story, except I can't remember the exact number of the flight (though it did have 2 sixes).

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, I'd say that one Saturday in Ikea is more like a week in Hell (and I dont mean here

Also not here? ;) That's actually one of the places I visited within two weeks after my church wedding.  :D

No, not there either, the one I'm thinking about is a little hotter. Also a little hotter than Baghdad, I think.

Invader: In Norwegian, the word for Hell is "helvete" but sometimes it is replaced with "helsike" which is considered less offensive. But sometimes this is taken even further; in order to tell someone in a very innocent way that they should go to hell, they say "dra til Helsinki" (Go to Helsinki)  :)

Of course, it's not that bad there - I was there last August and it was a nice city. Far more pleasant than our own capital, Oslo.

PS: Priest rock.

Another off-topic:
Quite some Norwegian words look a lot like Dutch in my humble opinion. I found that out, reading lyrics of old Dimmu Borgir records and Kari Rueslåtten. I'm sure you could recognize the meanings of some Dutch words as well.

Some on-topic from the Wingman now :)

Tonight it is time for Sin After Sin. This is good stuff! Enjoyable guitar harmonies, great singing (of course) and many nice melody hooks. Good old 'eavy metal as we like it!

Yes, cool drumming as well - impressive for a 19-year old. Why did he only record this one album with Priest? He was hired as a session drummer for Sin After Sin, didn't he want to go on tour or had Priest already decided to get Binks? The Wikipedia article on Priest doesn't say anything more than

"The next album, 1977's Sin After Sin used session drummer Simon Phillips while Les (James Leslie) Binks supported the tour."

Of course, it could be as simple as that Phillips liked to be a session drummer  :)

I believe they asked Phillips to stay but he wanted something else. As you might know eventueally he has become one of the most famous (sessions) drummers around. His discography is very, very impressive.

Yes indeed: source:
Although Phillips's services were requested on a full time basis the drummer, citing tour commitments with the JACK BRUCE band, declined the invitation. To fill the vacancy the band eventually settled on ex-FANCY drummer Les 'Feathertouch' Binks. 'Sin After Sin's producer, DEEP PURPLE bassist ROGER GLOVER, had previously used Binks on his 1974 concept album 'Butterfly Ball'.

To my knowledge Priest never performed with Phillips.

The only stuff I found, stated by Phillips himself, about Priest, is something I found on his official site. It's not much but here it is:

Question: Hello Simon; Love your work.
You played on two albums which were highly influential to me during my life as a metalhead teenager: Priest's "Sin After Sin" and Michael Schenker's first solo album, "MSG".
1. Did the musical complexities on the song "Sinner" have anything to do with your influence, and
2. Was Michael Schenker the "Mad Axeman" we all used to hear about? (slightly demented, tempermental, etc.) ...and while I've got you, what do you think of Michael in terms of his skills, you having worked with other greats like Satriani? 

Simon: You are talking about 2 albums that were recorded over 20 years ago - Sin After Sin in 1977 and MSG in 1980. It's really hard to remember how we even tracked those songs. I only remember playing the Priest songs how I felt they should go. We tracked them live with Glen, Ian and Rob. KK was in the control room listening with Roger Glover. When I worked with Michael I think this was his most calm period and he was great to work with, great to be around and a great sense of humour. Michael's playing is more blues/rock based and although he doesn't have the facility of players like Satriani, Luke and Beck, he plays his music really well and gets a great sound.  

+

Question: I was wondering what your impressions are about your work with Judas Priest on their 1976 album "Sin After Sin". I heard they liked your work so much that they asked you to join the band, but you declined. 

Simon: I had fun recording that album - great energy - and they were great to work with and hang with. The reason I declined was because I was in the Jack Bruce Band and we were just about to tour Europe and the US to promote an album which was to be released in early 1977.

Personally I really adore the drums on "Sin After Sin". What a technque but especially what a subtility and feel! 2 examples which I like: Those breaks on "Here Come The Tears" are outstanding, and his stuff on "Sinner" grooves as f**k.

While listening to a live performance of "Beyond The Realms Of Death" from 78 (I think), it struck me that the openings of "Lightning Strikes Twice" and "When Two Worlds Collide" sound a bit like the beginning of "Beyond" ... (which by the way is a beautiful song).

Beyond the Realms of Death (from "Stained Class") has one of the most beautiful guitar solos ever, I think. Great build-up!

The main guitar-part (of the intro and couplets) was created by drummer(!) Les Binks, who was left-handed. He held a guitar upside down and played something. Out of nothing that part came out and the rest of Priest thought immediately: let's use that! He never contributed to any other Priest music.

You know, this is freaky, because this song was on in my room, right before I read your post! :)

For once, I agree. That song really is one of the best pieces of heavy metal ever made.

Back