Olympic Games Rio 2016

It wasn't that spectacular anyway so I'm not mad.
Breaking a 19-year old 400m world record was pretty spectacular though, as was the world record in the women's hammer today.

UK second in the medals table at the moment. China will undoubtedly reclaim that spot, but the repeated success of the British athletes and horses is remarkable.

UK certainly has had a good Games .. not to diminish it in any way, but all the Russian issues have certainly benefited every other country as they would normally have more medals than they do now

UK certainly has had a good Games .. not to diminish it in any way, but all the Russian issues have certainly benefited every other country as they would normally have more medals than they do now
If you look at how well the UK did in Beijing, then in London it should not be that surprising as to how well they are doing now. Lottery funding has boosted sports* in the UK.

*Obviously not so for football.

Just curious: How new was it compared to what this person did?
Anky was one of the proponents of 'Low, Deep and Round', training, the most extreme version of which, hyperflexion or rollkur, is now banned by the FEI. This involves keeping a horse's head down to its chest while training, which supposedly helps it become more supple, loosens up the neck and improves elasticity of paces. For years, that style of rider and trainer got very good marks from judges because it exaggerated the suppleness of a particular set of muscles, and it looked like the horse was really putting its back into the work. Doing it by force actually risks nasty injury and certainly isn't kind to the horse.

In hindsight, although hyperflexion riders made a good job of the moves required, you could often see tension in the neck, and sometimes the horse hollowed its back in resistance, which meant it wasn't moving freely. The horse often looked unhappy too, with a clenched jaw and ears back. Modern dressage has moved away from that, which is for the best, as hyperflexion was making its way down to the lower levels of the discipline too. So that change isn't entirely new, but what we are seeing from Carl Hester and his pupils, is that even more sympathetic training and riding is not only producing horse and rider combinations that can perform the moves with as much precision as the hyperflexion riders, but actually do it in a more relaxed and free-moving style.

Golden medal for Sanne Wevers on balance beam !!!! :eek:

Never a world champion and now suddenly an Olympic medal. And what colour!
First Olympic golden medal (gymnastics) ever for a Dutch woman. Wow.

Last edited:
Anky was one of the proponents of 'Low, Deep and Round', training, the most extreme version of which, hyperflexion or rollkur, is now banned by the FEI. This involves keeping a horse's head down to its chest while training, which supposedly helps it become more supple, loosens up the neck and improves elasticity of paces. For years, that style of rider and trainer got very good marks from judges because it exaggerated the suppleness of a particular set of muscles, and it looked like the horse was really putting its back into the work. Doing it by force actually risks nasty injury and certainly isn't kind to the horse.

In hindsight, although hyperflexion riders made a good job of the moves required, you could often see tension in the neck, and sometimes the horse hollowed its back in resistance, which meant it wasn't moving freely. The horse often looked unhappy too, with a clenched jaw and ears back. Modern dressage has moved away from that, which is for the best, as hyperflexion was making its way down to the lower levels of the discipline too. So that change isn't entirely new, but what we are seeing from Carl Hester and his pupils, is that even more sympathetic training and riding is not only producing horse and rider combinations that can perform the moves with as much precision as the hyperflexion riders, but actually do it in a more relaxed and free-moving style.
That's... what I thought.

If you look at how well the UK did in Beijing, then in London it should not be that surprising as to how well they are doing now. Lottery funding has boosted sports* in the UK.

*Obviously not so for football.
Football doesn't need lottery funding.

Canada vs Ze Germans in women's footy today, for the winner of Brazil v. Sweden in the Gold Medal Game. Germany is the top ranked squad remaining in the tournament after #6 Sweden knocked #1 USA out in the quarter finals. Canada has already defeated #2 Germany and #3 France in these games, so I am hopeful for one last run for this squad.

Quarter Final women handball: Netherlands (nr. 4 in our group) just slaughtered Brazil! (nr. 1 from the other group)! 32-23!!!

Now I hope the team won't be too self confident in the semi match vs France or Spain.

10 km outdoor swimming for men: another gold (last part was a thriller!), just like with the women.

edit:
And vollayball women: into the semi finals !!! They started the tournament as an underdog and now they are a medal candidate. Awesome.

Last edited:
Have the Brazilians collectively turned on everyone French? Now they're booing the French team in women's handball ... and cheering like it was Brazil each time their Dutch opponents score.

Ridiculous.

I did hear that booing is something that's just done in Brazil. The crowd has a favourite, who they cheer for, and they boo the opposition. They loved the Spanish dressage rider, starting cheering and clapping along to the music - something you just don't do in dressage - then booed when he didn't get the top score. And then they booed subsequent competitors.

Hmmm. Funny. I haven't watched too many team sports events (or 1 on 1 duels) so I guess I just have failed to spot that it is done all the time.

Another equestrian gold medal for the GB squad! Nick Skelton just won the individual showjumping in an unbelievably quick jump off. Every single horse and rider in the jump off was amazing. Skelton went first and set an incredibly fast time to beat with a clear round. Everyone else went for the time and a few of them ended up having fences down.

Back