Your Top 5 Years

When making this list should we add 3 highlights from each, or just leave it blank?

The past few months (from mid-November to mid-March) have been some of my favorite months, but there’s no way I can figure out what years are best.

Hmm, my secondary school years of 2012 to the majority of 2017 were probably the overall most solid. Life was carefree with no issues. Gotta shout out 2018 for the summer though, incredible time.

Tough list.
1. 2016 Graduated, traveled a bit. Saw Iron Maiden twice. Met all ofAlice In Chains.
2. 2017 A Fun all around year. Lots of concerts, Tool, Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, etc.
3. 2019 Went to Alaska. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, New Tool.
4. 2015 Just a lot of good things in general happened.
5. 2018. Good concerts. Ghost, Metallica, Alice In Chains, Mastodon.

Last edited:
1. 2011 takes the prize. Finished my PhD and traveled to Tanzania, two definitive highlights.
2. 2006 perhaps? Witnessed Fredrikstad FK win the cup. I was there at the final. It was also the year when I saw Maiden live for the first time.
3. 1999. As a Manchester United fan aged 17, an age where things like football matters the most, I immensely enjoyed that spring. Another good thing that happened that year was that our family got a dog :)
4. 2002. When I moved to Trondheim to start my engineering studies, and Fredrikstad FK got promoted from 2nd division after wandering in the desert for 10 years.
5. 1998. Got out of the miserable place that was Borge Ungdomsskole (the last three years of primary school). Three years where I made no new friends (at school, that is. Football helped me make new friends outside of school.) I dislike the person I was during that time, and still I think half the people there were worse than me. Thus, finishing it makes 1998 a good year. Also, Norway's showing at the World Cup was great.

Honorable mention:
2019. Should be higher given it was the year I got my PPL. However, all the shenanigans going on with the moving drags the year down.
1994: The Winter Olympics and the school trip the week before (my school class went to a mountain school where we skied a lot, made snow caves and had a lot of fun in general) makes this a year to remember.

How do you people remember which years were your best? I'm only 16, and I can barely recall what I did in 2018.

Forgot to make my own Top 5.

1. 2006: Travelled more than any other year. Very fond memories with my parents. Spent the summer in a beautiful small town in İzmir, watched the World Cup there. I had the highest GPA in my grade at school and received an award for it. Came 2nd in a nationwide exam for fourth-graders.
2. 2004: All about sports, this one. First year I watched football regularly. Arsenal was the team I gravitated towards, it ultimately ended up being the Invincibles season. Started playing Championship Manager, a game that defined the future me in many ways, directly and indirectly.
3. 2002: I had my first "moment" with a girl in kindergarten. Me and another guy had a crush on the same girl and the girl was into me and not him. It felt good. First World Cup experience, and Turkey took 3rd place. Doesn't get the 2nd spot because I disliked kindergarten aside from the girl.
4. 2010: Perhaps the first year in my life where I actually was a social person, at least not an asocial person. Managed to shake off the reputation of being a reserved introvert. Spent a lot of time hanging out with a close friend of mine, opened up to a girl for the first time in my life.
5. 2014: If I could combine second half of 2013 and the first part of 2014, then it may have ended up as high as #3 here. Very much a time of recovery for me, after a depressing 2012 and early 2013. Graduated from high school and landed in the university department I wanted.

Back