Your Top 5 favorite movies

In no order:

Taxi Driver
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Terminator 2
Return of the Living Dead
No Country For Old Men

Sci-Fi: Blade Runner (both)/ Metropolis/ Alien (everything - Prometheus included - except that AVP garbage)/ Moon/ 2001
Drama: Magnolia/ Mystic River/ A Cidade De Deus/ Gran Torino
Fantasy: Mirror Mask/ La Cité Des Enfant Perdus, El Laberinto Del Fauno
Comedy: Monty Python's Holy Grail/ Deadpool/ Crna mačka, beli mačor/ Balas E Bolinhos 2
Crime: The Godfather (all 3 especially the 3rd)/ Tropa De Elite/ Drive/ El Segredo De Sus Ojos/ Reservoir Dog
Horror: Psycho/ The Shinning/ Ringu (like it as much as the USA redux: The Ring)/ Rec
Action: Mad Max (the 4 of them) / The Matrix (1st and 3rd... the second is spam and 20 something minutes of plot)/ The Good The Bad And The Ugly
Thriller: Memento/ Black Swan/ Lost Highway
History: Der Untergang/ Non Ou A Vã Glória De Mandar/ Vice

So... 5 out of these must be:

Blade Runner: Absolutely mandatory. This is the ultimate sci-fi cyberpunk movie. Seems like it was made at least a decade after its release date. Classic )
Magnolia: Magnolia's cast is as elite as it can get, with aevery single star firing at all cylinders like I've never seen them done before. And the way each story crosses all the others is something out of this world (If you liked this one check Amores Perros)
Mystic River: This larger than life somber drama granted Sean Penn and Tim Robbins the academy award for best acting and supporting acting role and was nominated for both best direction and best movie. Eastwood makes one hell of job pulling the all thing together as sharp as any other drama master.
A Cidade De Deus: With a cast based in teenagers from an acting school located in one of Rio's biggest slums, what director Fernando Meirelles built here is simply one of the rawest, more violent, more authentical yet more humanely touching movies ever.
Blade Runner 2049: Ok... perhaps it's a bit of a stretch and I should've keep the last spot for Fritz Lang's Metropolis (due to being perhaps the most ahead-of-its-time movie ever made) or even to the claustrophbic masterpiece that is Alien. But there's a good reason BR2049 makes it here: the mega-sized shoes it had to fill. When it was announced I was almost certain it would suck but man was I wrong! Turned out to be a gigantic movie that made what I've never seen before regarding top of the tops cult films: It almost stands shoulder to shoulder with its predecessor. And as far as I'm concerned that says enough!

Last edited:
@LooseCannon Glad to see someone else who appreciates The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly as much as I do here. I'll put the rest of my thoughts in spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I have a long history with that movie. It's the only movie I can safely say I've seen over 40 times. I lived in a communal house in North Carolina for close to 2 years and every Saturday I was there I would put it on at 3 o clock in our living room. It's one of those movies that grips me and never lets me go (which is crazy given how long it is). I have a lot of favorite moments or shots in the movie but one that comes to mind immediately is right after the climax. It's the scene where Tuco is overcome by all the gold and he begins to tell Blondie how rich they are but then he sees something above him. The camera pans up to reveal a noose THEN IMMEDIATELY cuts to a shot of Clint's face. Tuco says, "You're joking right? You wouldnt play a joke like that on me.". To which Blondie responds, "That's no joke. That's a rope Tuco, and I want you to get up there and put your neck in that noose." Chills every time.

Other favorites include:
"If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage"
The shot of Angel Eyes walking into the doorway in the beginning.
The entire scene with Tuco's brother and Tuco's ensuing conversation with Blondie about his brother's love for him.
The moment Angel Eyes hears Bill Carson's name in the prison camp.

@LooseCannon Glad to see someone else who appreciates The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly as much as I do here. I'll put the rest of my thoughts in spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I have a long history with that movie. It's the only movie I can safely say I've seen over 40 times. I lived in a communal house in North Carolina for close to 2 years and every Saturday I was there I would put it on at 3 o clock in our living room. It's one of those movies that grips me and never lets me go (which is crazy given how long it is). I have a lot of favorite moments or shots in the movie but one that comes to mind immediately is right after the climax. It's the scene where Tuco is overcome by all the gold and he begins to tell Blondie how rich they are but then he sees something above him. The camera pans up to reveal a noose THEN IMMEDIATELY cuts to a shot of Clint's face. Tuco says, "You're joking right? You wouldnt play a joke like that on me.". To which Blondie responds, "That's no joke. That's a rope Tuco, and I want you to get up there and put your neck in that noose." Chills every time.

Other favorites include:
"If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage"
The shot of Angel Eyes walking into the doorway in the beginning.
The entire scene with Tuco's brother and Tuco's ensuing conversation with Blondie about his brother's love for him.
The moment Angel Eyes hears Bill Carson's name in the prison camp.
Absolute masterpiece. Hugely influential to many directors (mainly Tarantino. Just check the opening scene of Inglorious Bastards... sounds familiar doesn't it?)

Dances With Wolves

Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The order changes.

I can't possibly sort these 1-5, but anyway

The Blues Brothers (1980) - Aside from having one of the greatest soundtracks in all of cinematic history (and a string of increasingly ludicrous action sequences involving a seemingly unending supply of malaise-era land yachts), the decent-but-basic plot serves as a springboard for the Belushi/Aykroyd double act, some fantastic old-school R&B, and a long list of endlessly quotable one-liners. Never gets old.

The Italian Job (1969) - Would you look at that, more quality lines and liberal usage of automotive action. For me, it has a similar appeal to the aforementioned flick, but with a great steaming dollop of stiff-upper-lip British stereotype that adds something of a lads-on-tour flavour to the plot. A great blend of scenery, period machinery and slightly corny dialogue in this great heist caper.

Zulu (1964) - Looking past the 60s-tasic fake blood and chest-clutching, this account of the battle of Rorke's Drift is just about my favourite war film of them all. As well as maintaining a pretty high level of historical accuracy in terms of the tactics and kit of both parties (as is best outlined here:
), the film eschews any angles in favour of one side or the other, and instead merely presents both parties as worthy adversaries (to borrow a popular war film cliche) to one another. I love it to bits

Pulp Fiction (1994) - Fuck me, even idle chitchat about burgers and foot massages can make for riveting cinema in the hands of the great Tarantino. add in to that a brilliantly executed non-linear plot progression, gratuitous violence, some truly world-class profanity, and a slightly off-beat tone, the end product is one hell of a way to spend an evening.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) - Those memes are golden

In no particular order:

The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Sneakers
The Butterfly Effect
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom

I don't think I wrote in this thread before, so let's see

In Bruges (2008)
The Return of the King (2003) - I should put the whole trilogy here, but if I were to pick one, I'd go with the landing, though I'm very partial to Two Towers, which is criminally underrated.
Excalibur (1980)
Zodiac (2007) - I think I've seen this film quite voluntarily over 30 times.
There Will Be Blood (2007)

Those are the top 5, but I usually put everywhere my top 10, so the rest is
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
A River Runs Through It (1992)
Grindhouse (2007)
Calvary (2014)
Radio Days (1987)

The list has been pretty stable, lately, however I feel like I should think about it now some more. If anything changes, I'll update it here.

1) first Star Wars trilogy with Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford
2) Jurassic Park 1 and 2
3) Stargate with Kurt Russell
4) Encounters Of The 3rd Kind
5) Independance Day with Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith

I mostly watch Indian films (in Hindi language) but also watch Hollywood (I know kinda generic term) and other movies as well. Some of my favourites:

3 Idiots (2009)
images

Newton (2017)
Newton_%28film%29.png

Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013)
images

Mera Naam Joker (1970)
%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%87%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%BE_%E0%A4%A8%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%AE_%E0%A4%9C%E0%A5%8B%E0%A4%95%E0%A4%B0.jpg

Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. (2003)
images

The Pursuit Of Happyness
(2006)
images

Batman Begins (2005)
images

Man From Earth (2007)
main-qimg-d7ce16327099f31a79349010cd90bed5.webp

Fight Club (1999)
images

12 Angry Men (1957)