Your Top 5 favorite movies

Number 6

Ancient Mariner
Simple: what are your 5 favorite movies ever? Mine are...

1/2/3. The Lord of the Rings trilogy
I don't have much to say here, only that these 3 movies (I can't make up my mind on which is actually better, although the first one is my favorite) are utterly perfect. You got all those beautiful landscapes and visuals. A very strong story of which might be the best cinematic adaptation ever. There's Howard Shore's genius score. I could go on and on explaining why I think The Lord of the Rings are the greatest movies ever made.

4. mother!
mother! was my biggest surprise last year. I saw the trailer in theaters when I went to see It, and I've been in love with this movie ever since. The way Darren Aronofsky was able to condense the entire history of human kind (as told in the Bible) into an allegorical horror/thriller/drama about a couple's troubled relationship is nothing short of brilliant, plus Jennifer Lawrence's performance here is one of the best things I've ever been able to experience. Terrific cast all across the board (Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer), genius script, arthouse filmmaking at its finest. Indeed, a cinematic masterpiece.

5. Titanic
Titanic is rather frequently listed as one of the greatest movies ever made—and I can totally see why, and agree with everything anyone has to say about that. James Cameron really did piece together a beautiful romance/disaster flick worth every second of its lengthy 190-plus-minute running time, making brilliant use of CGI and reconstructed replicas of the ship to recreate the sinking, which, as tragic as it might be, is one of the most beautiful scenes I've seen in cinema history. Along with that, we get James Horner (RIP)'s terrific score, which easily ranks among the best ever composed. And finally, what makes Titanic different from any other poor disaster film out there: we actually care about these characters. They're so iconic and well developed, that when they're suffering that terrible fate, we suffer with them.

So, what are your favorite movies, and why? :D

Die Hard - The single greatest film ever. You have it all: action, an exciting storyline, some of the best written characters ever, iconic scenes, iconic quotes, all masquerading as your typical action movie. But it's not - it's so much more than that. It's a masterpiece of cinema.

The Thing - Speaking of masterpieces, this is the greatest horror film ever created. Suspense, fear, claustrophobia, amazing shots, and a monster that will give you nightmares - all done with practical effects. The level of artistry that made this single film... it's incredible. Awesome flick.

The Silence of the Lambs - Thrilling, psychological, and iconic. Best way to sum it up.

Jaws - One of the most badass films ever. It's not really much of a horror film today, but despite that, it still succeeds as an adventure / action / thriller. There are some nailbiting moments here, and it's all put together by a director who was just making his mark.

The Princess Bride - More family friendly but it's just as exciting as the aforementioned films. Sometimes even more so. Perfection.

As a brief mention, Thomas and the Magic Railroad and Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea are also two favorites of mine, more based on how integral they were to my childhood but still can't help but enjoying them even now. In fact, I usually rank my list as such:

1. Thomas and the Magic Railroad
2. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
3. Die Hard
4. The Princess Bride
5. The Thing
6. The Silence of the Lambs
7. Jaws

Throw in one of the first two Child's Play films, the original Murder on the Orient Express, and The Muppet Movie, and you've got a Top 10 I would be fairly satisfied with.

As a brief mention, Thomas and the Magic Railroad and Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea are also two favorites of mine, more based on how integral they were to my childhood but still can't help but enjoying them even now.
Good point. Most Disney films hold that kind of sentimental value to me, such as Hocus Pocus, Freaky Friday, Enchanted... and even some of the classics, like The Lion King (best Disney film yet), The Incredibles, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Snow White, and 101 Dalmatians. I loved all these movies (among others) when I was a child, and still love all of them now.

1. The Iron Giant

"Superman..."

I was obsessed with this film when I was younger, I think it was one of the first films (along with the next entry) that I used to watch over and over again. It still warms my heart today.

2. The Empire Strikes Back

Even though I could recite this backwards it still gives me a thrill watching it. The Battle of Hoth (so much so that on my wall is a print of concept art showing Luke exiting the snowspeeder with an AT-AT looming in the background), the Asteroid Chase, training with Yoda, even "No, I am your father" still makes me erupt in goosebumps when I hear it.

3. The Terminator

This films absolutely excels at the horror element of the Terminator; it should be a cold, unfeeling, unstoppable killing machine, I feel the later films stripped too much of that away. There are many who say Terminator 2: Judgement Day is the better film. Those people are...

tenor.gif

4. Dog Soldiers

Maybe the least-known film on my list. Basically it's Aliens meets Predator with werewolves, a pretty simple premise but it doesn't lack anything. It's got great characters that you actually care about, great action and some genuinely funny and emotional moments.

5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I'm a fan of the MCU but I think most of their films are just "fine". This is not one of them. Most others have a sense of trying too hard to be funny or emotional, but here it all works really well, coupled with some brilliant action scenes. Great performances all round from the cast and two of the best villains (maybe even the best) in the MCU.

Apologies for the necroposting, but if threads from seven years ago can get resurrected, why can't this?

Last edited:
Apologies for the necroposting, but if threads from seven years ago can get resurrected, why can't this?
I see no problem with it, especially considering the forum it's in.

There are many who say Terminator 2: Judgement Day is the better film.
I think that T2 is better at being a science-fiction-action film, and indeed, it's one of the best in that genre of all time. But when it comes to sci-fi based horror, there's only one film that even comes close to The Terminator, and of course, that's Alien. I love both of them but for such wildly different reasons.

I really didn’t enjoy The Terminator, it’s a movie I can appreciate but not one that I outright think is good. It fucked with my head a bit too much for that. :p

I really didn’t enjoy The Terminator, it’s a movie I can appreciate but not one that I outright think is good. It fucked with my head a bit too much for that. :p
You're young. Come back to it in 5 or so years once you're brain is finished maturing and I suspect you'll have different takes on it.

I think that T2 is better at being a science-fiction-action film, and indeed, it's one of the best in that genre of all time. But when it comes to sci-fi based horror, there's only one film that even comes close to The Terminator, and of course, that's Alien.

T2 is better made, and as you say it's the better action film, I just think that they really captured the fear factor of the Terminator in the first film. These things are terrifying, one terminator makes it into the underground bunker in the future and nearly everybody ends up slaughtered. In the present, seventeen police officers are killed in the station. The T-1000 is a frightening figure but I just don't feel it has the same level of threat as the T-800.

Alien is very good, but not one of my favourites. Aliens is kind of the same as T2, amps up the action, dials down the horror and introduces an annoying child.

It fucked with my head a bit too much for that.

I was around fourteen when I first saw it, I didn't think about the time travel element as I was too preoccupied with the killer robots. :p

And nude Linda Hamilton :ninja:

I haven't watched any of the Terminator movies yet. I know.

:facepalm:

In my defense, though, my to-watch list is gigantic.

Patton - I love this film for two things: one, the incredible performance put on by George C. Scott, one of the greatest performances of all time, if not the single greatest performance. And two: Scott's portrayal of Patton is so ubiquitous that it has supplanted Patton himself in consciousness. Patton had a high-pitched voice with a southern drawl; veterans of his army use Scott's gravely, distinctly non-southern accent when they imitate his speeches to this day. This film pulls no punches, it shows Patton's incredible oddities (his belief in reincarnation, and his claim to memories of past wars). It depicts his famous soldier-slapping incident almost exactly as it was described, and his subsequent not-pology is also shown in full detail. It is left to hang in the air, allowing the viewer to draw their own conclusions about the flawed man himself. Yet, it showed his great triumphs similarly, without much comment (save for the odd bits showing the Germans being afraid of him). Not accurate in terms of the history detailed - they use the wrong tanks, they wear the wrong uniforms, and so on, but accurate to the central character of this great portrayal.

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Ghostbusters - Sci-fi comedy shouldn't work, but Ghostbusters is a legitimate contender for one of the funniest movies of all time. Four incredible, endearing and unbeatable performances have ensconced this film in pop culture. A decidedly for-adults movie that kids loved, it was lightning in a bottle. They've tried to recapture it twice so far, and failed in both (one a nearer miss, the other an abject flop). The beauty of the comedy in this film is that ridiculous things are happening, and the heroes play it completely straight. Ray is like a child getting to live his dream (and, as a result, was really the audience viewpoint character for kids); Egon the driest-humoured man ever, a scientist who takes everything seriously; and Venkman is like a used car salesman. Everyone knows a guy like that, someone who scams people and plays the field. He doesn't get his comeuppance, but he does learn to be a hero. And Winston...well. He's the straight man, and he's great at it. This is comedy at it's best. I recommend this movie wholeheartedly.

"Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trans-mediums, the Loch Ness Monster and the theory of Atlantis?"
"Uh, if there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe in anything you say."

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - The third of the three "Man With No Name" films, and, in my opinion, the greatest. Three superb actors chase the same treasure across the desert wastes of the American Civil War. This film touches on so many themes - betrayal, trust, hope, death, exploration. It has finely-placed comedic beats that are enjoyable, especially from Tuco. "If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." This is Sergio Leone's finest film; and in my opinion, Ennio Morricone's finest score. The final showdown is one of the greatest moments in cinema, three men in a Mexican standoff, each of whom is using their bodies, facial expressions, and stances to tell three different stories; Tuco's confusion and fear, Angel Eyes's assumption of superiority, Blondie's righteous fury and absolute knowledge. Clint Eastwood's greatest moment.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Star Wars
- I mean, do I really need to explain why? This and Ghostbusters were watched repeatedly in my house as a child. John Williams's score remains timeless, and each action beat is epic, even to this day. You laugh, you cry, you feel tension rising. The Trench Battle may not have been done with CGI and fancy explosions, but that made it more intimate and personal. You can feel the claustrophobia of it, maneuvering down that trench, as fighter after snub fighter goes down. Mark Hamill, especially, connects with younger viewers. I think that Empire was probably a better film, made by a better director; but the original remains highest in my imagination. I wore out my VHS of this film as a kid, rewinding and watching the Trench Battle over and over, the greatest action scene in movie history. I'm watching it right now as I write this, and it gives me literal chills as the X-Wings come in close to the Death Star. I know every beat of this scene by heart, and I'm still leaning in, excited, to watch. It's magic. Also, I am a gigantic Wedge fan. #MoreWedge

"Look at the size of that thing!"
"Cut the chatter, Red Two."

Mad Max: Fury Road - Obviously the most recent addition to my list. This is the perfect sci-fi action film, titles I would have previously given to Terminator 2: Judgment Day or Dredd (the Karl Urban one). This is a movie that has a powerful feminist and environmentalist message, loaded with subtext that oozes for the woke; but fuck, it also has a guy who plays a guitar that is also a battle-axe that is also a flame thrower. This movie keeps you on the edge of your seat, and relaunches a classic character but introduces new ones who have the chance to be just as timeless. But the action - the action is fucking amazing, with practical effects that astound. The cinematography is excellent - no shaky cam to hide CGI. Everything is smooth and perfectly delivered. How did a 70 year old man make a movie like this, one of the best action movies of all time? I want the next Mad Max, and I want it now.

"My name is Max. My world is fire and blood. Once, I was a cop. A road warrior searching for a righteous cause. As the world fell, each of us in our own way was broken. It was hard to know who was more crazy... me... or everyone else."

Honourable mentions:

The Blues Brothers - could have been this or Ghostbusters, really. The jokes in this movie still set me laughing.
The Terminator - See @Edington's review above.
Back to the Future - As far as sci-fi goes, it's on the list, but it doesn't quite do it for me as much as Star Wars does.
The Lion King - my favourite Disney movie.
Lawrence of Arabia - this one and Patton can switch places a lot, but for the same reason: a great single performance, timeless.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - the best Star Trek movie, and the best one for non-Trek fans to watch. It's Moby Dick, almost, updated for the future.
Fargo - This type of film is one I'm coming to love, a fiasco-style comedy. Other ones on the list include Snatch, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and The Big Lebowski.
The Karate Kid - I mean, he's the best around. Nothing's gonna ever keep him down.
The Prestige - Still my favourite Nolan.
Die Hard - the best pure action film of all time.

I've been pretty impressed with the live-action adaptations so far. The Lion King seems like the boldest one so far, but I don't have much reason to be skeptical about it. Especially with the cast they've got and Jon Favreau at the helm.

Indeed, latest Disney live-action adaptations have been very good. I loved Beauty and the Beast last year, and The Jungle Book in 2016. And yes, considering TJB was directed by Jon Favreau as well, I'm hoping for something big. I was surprised to see Beyoncé in the cast, but I guess it's fitting - she's got a great voice.

Mine so far. I have watched them on MegahFilmesHD from apknite extension:
Beauty and the Beast
Leap Year
Harry Potter
The Fast and The Furious
The Lion King

Mine so far. I have watched them on MegahFilmesHD from apknite extension:
Beauty and the Beast
Leap Year
Harry Potter
The Fast and The Furious
The Lion King
@Donald J Kline - no advertising is allowed on this forum without permission of the forum admin. Any more promotion of apps, gaming or movie websites will be considered spam.

Empire Strikes Back
Capt America - Civil War
The Dark Knight

Last 2 films alternate between many but those 3 are some of my go to movies

Back