3. Burn
  4. Slide It In
  5. Lovehunter
  6. Judgement Day
  7. Here I Go Again
  8. Still Of The Night
  9. Slow And Easy
  10. Medicine Man

Slash ft Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators (Barring 1)
  1. Anastasia
  2. Call Of The Wild
  3. Wicked Stone
  4. The One You Loved Is Gone
  5. Beneath The Savage Sun
  6. World On Fire
  7. By The Sword
  8. Lost Inside The Girl
  9. The Unholy
  10. Boulevard Of Broken Hearts

Rush

01. Red Sector A

02. Time Stand Still
03. Subdivisions
04. Big Money
05. Analog Kid
06. Chemistry
07. Losing It
08. Afterimage
09. Marathon
10. The Body Electric

Actually you're right. ''Exciter'' by Priest is also an early speed metal song (1978).

I wonder if there are songs that are ''early speed metal'' before 1978? Probably yes.

Deep Purple's "Fireball" and Rainbow's "Kill The King" could be considered as "ancestors".

Whitesnake
  1. Love Ain't No Stranger
  2. Fool For Your Lovin - 89'
  3. Burn
  4. Slide It In
  5. Lovehunter
  6. Judgement Day
  7. Here I Go Again
  8. Still Of The Night
  9. Slow And Easy
  10. Medicine Man
"Burn" is not a Whitesnake song, but a Deep Purple one, although they have covered and somewhat appropriated it over the years (David Coverdale being one of its authors helps for sure ;) )

Actually you're right. ''Exciter'' by Priest is also an early speed metal song (1978).
Yep... obviously Helloween were not the creators of Speed Metal. But were defenitly the creators of Power Metal and along with Blind Guardian simply defined the whole genre.

As for Speed Metal I have a vision of my own. I can´t really pin point the actual first band entirely devoted to the whole genre (Anvil or Exciter perhaps?) but many of the early 80's albums people label as Thrash Metal's first inception (Metallica's Kill 'Em All, Anthrax's Fistfull Of Metal or to a certain extent Slayer's Show no Mercy) sound way more like Speed Metal to me. As I mentioned before in another post IMO what Venom did in their first two albums (although not Thrash or Black metal per se) sounded way thrashier and aggressive. It wasn't until 1984 the first first real two Thrash records were released as far as I'm concerned: Slayer's Haunting The Chapel and Metallica's Ride The Lightning.

Last edited:
Here's one I can pretty much guarantee no-one else will do:

Bellowhead

01. Roll the Woodpile Down
02. Let Her Run
03. Jack Lintel
04. New York Girls
05. Roll Alabama
06. Byker Hill
07. Frog's Legs & Dragon's Teeth (had audience participation that involved jumping up and down at particular times)
08. The Old Dun Cow
09. I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight (Richard Thompson cover)
10. Lillibulero (AKA The Devil and the Farmer's Wife)

I wonder if there are songs that are ''early speed metal'' before 1978? Probably yes.
Paging @SixesAlltheway for this one... Crash Course in Brain Surgery (Budgie I think) comes to mind. As does selected Deep Purple tracks. Bits of Pentagram's '73 demo Bias Recording Studio certainly has stuff on there that was pretty fast (and pretty heavy) for its time. Parasite by Kiss is kinda also in line with what would be considered 'early speed metal'. I'm sure there's more but '78 or '79 is really when it came into fruition.

Judas Priest- Let us Prey/Call for the Priest(1977)
Black Sabbath- Symptom of the Universe(1975)

Back