Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Tears Of A Clown

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Darkest Hour

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
I thought it would be fun to do a battle of the ballads. Now, I know I mentioned in another thread about the subject that some parts of longer songs have a "power ballad" feel to them such as the first part of Dream Of Mirrors and Empire Of The Clouds, but for the sake of this poll, I'm going to use the songs the feel mostly like a typical ballad. So,let's have at it!

My choice is Darkest Hour which is part of the reason Senjutsu is my most favorite Maiden album ever.

Voted for Out of the shadows although Journeyman has been closer.
To me the ranking would be:
  1. Out of the Shadows
  2. Journeyman
  3. Darkest Hour
  4. Blood Brothers
  5. Tears of a Clown
  6. Coming Home

Coming Home has always been one of my favorite Maiden songs so I voted for that. Tears of a Clown, Blood Brothers and Darkest Hour are also fantastic.

My ranking would be:

1. Blood Brothers
2. Coming Home
3. Darkest Hour
4. Out Of The Shadows
5. Journeyman
6. Tears Of A Clown

1 and 2 are great, 3 is very good, 4 is good, 5 is boring at best and 6 is bottombarrel Maiden stuff.

I think The Man Of Sorrows is more suitable for this category than Tears Of A Clown from TBOS album.

Anyway, I like all songs a lot, but my vote is for Blood Brothers - a true classic!

2.Coming Home
3.Journeyman
4.Darkest Hour
5.Out Of The Shadows
6.Tears Of A Clown

My ranking would be:

1. Blood Brothers
2. Coming Home
3. Darkest Hour
4. Out Of The Shadows
5. Journeyman
6. Tears Of A Clown

1 and 2 are great, 3 is very good, 4 is good, 5 is boring at best and 6 is bottombarrel Maiden stuff.
I think both Dave and Adrian play some of their best solos in Tears of a Clown. I always really liked the lyrics too. An awesome song for me.

I think both Dave and Adrian play some of their best solos in Tears of a Clown. I always really liked the lyrics too. An awesome song for me.
I never got into it. The awkward intro, some cringey lyrics like Who motivates the motivator and the weak chorus make it my least favourite song on TBOS.

I don’t understand the love for Blood Brothers. The verses and solo are nice, but the chorus is pretty terrible. And if the song is about Steve’s relationship with his dad, then why the hell is it called Blood Brothers…?

I don’t understand the love for Blood Brothers. The verses and solo are nice, but the chorus is pretty terrible. And if the song is about Steve’s relationship with his dad, then why the hell is it called Blood Brothers…?
I actually agree, it’s a weird setup of a song. I think Steve was trying to bring up images of sadness within the world and point out that in spite all of this, we are one race and can stand together. He just didn’t execute it perfectly, I always thought that chorus was shoehorned in.

In spite of that, I think it’s still an awesome song. The performances are fantastic and the chorus is simple but effective, even if it’s weirdly smushed into the song. It’s one of those things where I’m like, it’s strange but I still dig this song a lot.

I actually agree, it’s a weird setup of a song. I think Steve was trying to bring up images of sadness within the world and point out that in spite all of this, we are one race and can stand together. He just didn’t execute it perfectly, I always thought that chorus was shoehorned in.

In spite of that, I think it’s still an awesome song. The performances are fantastic and the chorus is simple but effective, even if it’s weirdly smushed into the song. It’s one of those things where I’m like, it’s strange but I still dig this song a lot.
Yeah, it works better as a live song. I saw them play it back in 2017 and man it was surreal.

Back