Your least favourite song from every album

Lee Harvey Oswald said:
Here goes my first post...

Probably not setting a great precedent, having a generic list as your first post :halo:

Lee Harvey Oswald said:
Virtual XI "The Angel and the Gambler" - I like the first few mins but way too repetitive

Try and get the single-it's shorter.

Iron Maiden. The 8 track version is almost perfect, so Sanctuary from the 9 track.

Killers: Drifer or Prodigal Son.

Number of the Beast: Gangland. Not bad, really, just overwhelmed by the songs that frame it.

Piece of Mind: To Tame a Land. Oh no, Harris goes epic. Not always a good thing.

Powerslave: Rime of the Ancient Mariner, only because the slow section after the spoken word bit seems to go on forever...

Somewhere in Time. Hmmm. The over-rated Alexander the Great or the highly annoying Heaven Can Wait

Seventh Son. Maybe the title track, cf. my moan about Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

No Prayer for the Dying: The Assassin or Mother Russia.

Fear of the Dark: Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

The X Factor: Sign of the Cross. The only Maiden song I truly loathe!

Virtual XI: Como Estais Amigos. Commendable sentiment, but that’s about all.

Brave New World: Blood Brothers. Again, I respect the sentiment, but it's full of the trademark Harris excesses.

Dance of Death: Age of Innocence. It’s just awful. Similar lyrical content to Justice of the Peace, which is much more entertaining.

A Matter of Life and Death: For the Greater Good of God. The worst of a bad bunch.

Ok, these are the ones I like less:

Iron Maiden: Strange World
Killers: Another Life
The Number Of The Beast: Gangland
Piece Of Mind: Quest For Fire
Powerslave: Back In The Village
Somewhere In Time: Sea Of Madness
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: The Prophecy
No Prayer For The Dying: Run Silent Run Deep
Fear Of The Dark: The Apparition
The X Factor: The Unbeliever
Virtual XI: The Educated Fool
Brave New World: Out Of The Silent Planet
Dance Of Death: Age Of Innocence
A Matter Of Life And Death: Way too hard to tell....

Least favourite, eh!  Well, here it goes.  Keep in mind -- this list could change tomorrow.  :p

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (I've called this song overrated in other threads)
Killers - Killers (unsure -- tough call)
Beastie - Invaders (still kick ass drums and guitars)
Piece of Mind - Quest for Fire (it was a close count with Flight of Icarus)
Powerslave - Back in the Village (I don't feel its riffage is as good as Flash of the Blade or The Duellists)
Somewhere in Time - Sea of Madness (great bass work by Arry and it is pretty fast)
7th Son - The Prophecy (gee that was hard  ::))
No Prayer - Fates Warning
Fear of the Dark - Chains of Misery (this was fairly tough -- it is their most underrated album, I think)
TXF - The Unbeliever (this was even tougher; maybe even more of an underrated album  :p.  I chose this one as I'm still not that familar with it, but it is slowly sinking in.  The other close calls were Fortunes of War and Man on the Edge).
VXI - When Two Worlds Collide (this is a major surprize as this was one of the songs that I got into first from the whole IM collection.  I guess it shows how much VXI songs have grown on me.  Maybe this is their mostest underrated album  :bigsmile:).
Brave New World - The Mercenary (this is a bit unfair, still a good song, it is just that I would change some things)
Dance of Death - New Frontier (it was this or Gates of Tomorrow.  I mainly chose this song over the other because I simply DISAGREE with the lyrical content).
AMOLAD - The Legacy (this could change faster than the other examples as it is the freshest CD.  The last part of the song I have never thought of as great, to say the least.  Every other song is at least enjoyable if not great throughout the WHOLE song.  The next in line would be Out of Shadows though).

Iron Maiden - Sanctuary
Killers - Prodigal Son
The Number of the Beast - Gangland
Piece of Mind - Quest For Fire
Powerslave - Flash Of The Blade
Somewhere in Time - well, if i have to choose one it have to be Sea Of Madness
7th Son of a 7th son - Can I Play With Madness
No Prayer for the dying - Fates Warning
Fear of the Dark - The Apparition
X-factor - Man on the Edge
VXI - Como Estais Amigos
Brave New World - The Wicker Man, awsome song but it's the "worst" on the album.
Dance of Death - Rainmaker or No more Lies
AMOLAD - Diffrent World

Least favourite? Well there are very few bad Maiden songs IMO but here we go...

Iron Maiden - Running Free. I never did much like this one. The intro reminds me of Cum On Feel The Noize...
Killers - Ugh... for being made up of mostly leftover Iron Maiden tracks, this one in my mind doesn't have any stand out bad songs. Just a few bad parts (intro to Rue Morgue, intro to Another Life, that ridiculous double-time-hi-hat bit on Innocent Exile). But if I were to choose I'd have to say Drifter, if only for lyrics like 'Gotta keep on rolling, gotta sing my song'. Blurgh.
Number Of The Beast - Invaders. I love the riffs in this song, but the chorus makes me want to hurl. The vocal melody line is atrocious, and that ridiculous walk up/down after the 'In-VAY-derz!' call makes me cringe.
Piece Of Mind - Quest For Fire. Any song that starts off with lyrics like 'In a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth' cannot bode well...
Powerslave - Tough to pick one, but I'll have to go with The Duellists. I love it, but it just seems weak compared to its albummates. And that ridiculous thing from 1:49 to 2:15, and then again backing the solo, is easily, IMO, the worst bit on the album.
Somewhere In Time - I didn't used to have any least favourite song, but the more I listen to The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner, the more it bothers me. Most of this is attributed to the absoludicrous chorus; Bruce's wailing sounds strained and terrible, and the doubled-up drum tempo reminds me (unfavorably) of the album No Prayer For The Dying. The weird 'I've got to keep goooooooo-ing' part is also kinda abrasive.
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - Yeah, right!
No Prayer For The Dying - Ugh. Can I just pick a song that I don't hate off this album? From the moment this album starts (with the obvious rip-off of Clairvoyant in the beginning of Tailgunner), it just doesn't seem to let up. Tailgunner's chorus is hideous, Holy Smoke is mediocre at best (Bruce sounds particularly awful on this song), No Prayer For The Dying has that horrible start-stop thing in the verse which reminds me more of Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box, Public Enema Number 1 loses points for the title alone (come on guys, you already did the 'nail that fokker' pun only three songs ago, and that was bad enough!), The Assassin is atrocious from start to finish, Hooks In You is another track with Bruce sounding hideous, and the chorus is mediocre, the whole song sounds like a lame duck from the Iron Maiden session, and Mother Russia sounds like they just slapped a bunch of Russian sounding riffs together. The only high points are Fates Warning , Run Silent Run Deep, and Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter, if only because they sound more like Iron Maiden than KISS. God, I can't choose. I'd have to go with The Assassin because, unlike the others, there isn't a single redeeming thing about that song. It is the only track that is solidly awful from start to finish; at least the others have some redeeming parts.
Fear Of The Dark - Would you believe this is the only Maiden album I do not own?
The X Factor - So sue me, I actually like the Blaze albums. But I'd have to give the 'worst' (least favourite) song to Judgement Of Heaven. It sounds really happy and bouncy for some reason, which makes it stand out. And Blaze going 'yeah yeah' just sounds silly. The chorus is pretty great though. Well, it's not really a chorus. The 'if you could live your life again' part...
Virtual XI - Yeah, I know, consensus is Angel And The Gambler which is just too way damn long, but I'd have to give my vote to Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger, if only for the ridiculous whispering part at 3:20, as well as the main riff's resemblance to the previously-mentioned Nirvana song Heart Shaped Box
Brave New World - The Wicker Man. No, no, I kid. :) Seriously, The Mercenary gets my vote, for the arduous, excruciating, laborious 'Show them no pain, show them no fear' part, that repeats, like, 32 times in the whole song.
Dance Of Death - It's really quite a solid album, and Age Of Innocence and Gates Of Tomorrow seem to be the consensus tracks. But I have to divurge and go for the title track itself, Dance Of Death. It's not that bad, but the plodding pace (it doesn't really kick off until almost three minutes in), and the almost-silly riffs that show up after that. The part that really kills me though is the rapid-fire, 'When you're lying in your sleep, when you're lying in your bed' part. It just kills it for me.
A Matter Of Life And Death - Lord Of Light, for being so forgettable. The intro is lackluster, at best, which is kind of a tragedy, because the awesome riff at about 1:30 is great. But the chorus is the most forgettable of the album. I recognize it because it sounds so different, but I never really remember it.

Of course, it should be noted that my opinions on all these songs are relative to OTHER Iron Maiden songs, not music in general. Mind you, there's only two Iron Maiden songs I absolutely refuse to listen to (The Mercenary and The Assassin), which, out of ... what, 9,000 studio tracks is actually an excellant ratio. Compare that to Megadeth, who I love to Deth, put out almost an entire album of absolutely unlistenable songs (Risk) or... another San Francisco area metal band who shall remain nameless... I guess it speaks volumes that I've never once felt the need to cut any Iron Maiden off my iPod to make space for Poison or Manowar or something... ;)

Well, that's all for me...

Alright, here we go:

Iron Maiden- Transylvania (it just never grew on me)
Killers-The Ides of March (I guess I don't dig the instrumentals)
The Number of the Beast- Gangland (just not remarkable compared to the others, but while I'm on this album, let me say that Total Eclipse is a very under-rated song)
Piece of Mind- Quest for Fire
Powerslave- Flash of the Blade
Somewhere in Time- Deja vu (Sea of Madness comes close second)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Song- The Prophecy
No Prayer for the Dying- Fates Warning (a very mediocre song)
Fear of the Dark-The Apparition
The X Factor-Judgment of Heaven
Virtual XI- The Angel and the Gambler (although Como Estais Amigos comes a close second)
Brave New World- The Mercenary (this was a tough decision, it ultimately came down to which I like least)
Dance of Death- Wildest Dreams (the only song I dislike on this whole album, an album which is otherwise pretty solid)
A Matter of Life and Death- Lord of Light (again, a tough decision, but I settled for this one in the end because of my feeling of deja vu when I listen to it, I hear alot of Lord of the Flies in it somehow)

Disclaimer: Just like Genghis Khan said, this list could change tomorrow :p

Natalie said:
Virtual XI- The Angel and the Gambler (although Como Estais Amigos comes a close second)

Disclaimer: Just like Genghis Khan said, this list could change tomorrow :p

Oh, no!  You didn't! 
Let's hope it changes tomorrow.  ;)

Natalie said:
The Number of the Beast- Gangland (just not remarkable compared to the others, but while I'm on this album, let me say that Total Eclipse is a very under-rated song)

Total Eclipse wasn't originally on the album. It was the B-side on the "Run to the hills" single. Later on, Harris has stated that he should have been more decissive and that he should have made Gangland the B-Side and that Total Eclipse should have been on the album instead. Unfortunantly, Total Eclipse isn't on the album, if you don't count the 98' remasters. 

Well it doesn't matter, I just thought I'd add it.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Killers - Drifter
The Number of the Beast - Gangland
Piece of Mind - Sun And Steel
Powerslave - Back in the Village
Somewhere in Time - Heaven Can Wait
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Can I Play With Madness
No Prayer For The Dying - Holy Smoke
Fear of the Dark - From Here To Eternity
The X Factor - Look For The Truth
Virtual XI - The Angel and the Gambler
Brave New World - The Fallen Angel
Dance of Death - Wildest Dreams
A Matter of Life and Death - Different World

Iron Maiden- Iron Maiden
Killers- Prodigal Sun
The Number of the Beast- Invaders
Piece of Mind- To Tame A Land
Power Slave- Back in the Village
Somewhere in Time- Alexander the Great
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son- Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
No Prayer for the Dying- Don't own it, haven't heard all of it
Fear of the Dark- Be Quick or Be Dead
The X Factor- I think it is easier to list the ones I do like :p I enjoy it, but don't love it
Virtual XI- don't own it haven't even heard it
Brave New World- The Mercenary
Dance of Death-Gates of Tomorrow/New Frontier
A Matter of Life and Death- The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

Iron Maiden - None
Killers - Twilight Zone
Number Of The Beast - 22 Acacia Avenue
Piece Of Mind - Quest For Fire
Powerslave - Back In The Village
Somewhere In Time - Alexander The Great
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - None
No Prayer For The Dying - Hooks In You
Fear Of The Dark - From Here To Eternity
The X Factor - Look For The Truth
Virtual XI - The Angel And The Gambler
Brave New World - The Mercenary
Dance Of Death - Gates Of Tomorrow
A Matter Of Life And Death - The Pilgrim

Iron Maiden/Charlotte the Harlot
Drifter
Gangland
Quest for fire
Least favourite? From Powerslave? Seriously? If I have to mention one, it will be Losfer Words or Flash of the Blade (but I like those songs very much, too)
Sea of Madness
Can I Play With Madness (catchy song, but doesn't fit on this record)
Bring Your Daughter ... to the Slaughter (not very honorable mention goes to The Assassin and Hooks in you)
The Apparition
The Unbeliever
The Angel and the Gambler
The Fallen Angel
Wildest Dreams (Gates of Tomorrow ain't to much to write home about, either)
Lord of Light (which I still like, but if I have to choose one song from this very even album, this will be the one)

Iron Maiden (1980)
- Running Free (although it's awesome live!)

Killers (1981)
- Drifter

The Number Of The Beast (1982)
- Gangland

Piece Of Mind (1983)
- Where Eagles Dare (sorry, too boring)

Powerslave (1984)
- Back In The Village

Somewhere In Time (1986)
- Deja Vû

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)
- Can I Play With Madness?

No Prayer For The Dying (1990)
- Hooks In You

Fear Of The Dark (1992)
- The Apparation

The X Factor (1995)
- The Aftermath

Virtual XI (1998)
- The Angel And The Gambler (Not because the song it ''bad'', but it's TOO LONG!)

Brave New World (2000)
- The Fallen Angel

Dance Of Death (2005)
- Wildest Dreams/Gates Of Tomorrow/New Frontier

A Matter Of Life And Death (2006)
- I can't decide. I need the whole album, but I have to choose ONE. Then it would be Benjamin Breeg.

Iron Maiden- none
Killers- Drifter
The Number of the Beast- Gangland
Piece of Mind- Quest for Fire
Powerslave- Losfer Words
Somewhere in Time- Deja Vu
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son- none
No Prayer for the Dying- Hooks in You
Fear of the Dark- The Fugitive
The X Factor- Look For The Truth
Virtual XI- The Angel & The Gambler
Brave New World- Out of the Silent Planet
Dance of Death-Gates of Tomorrow
A Matter of Life and Death- Different World

Iron Maiden        StrangeWorld

Killers                Prodigal Son

Number of the Beast        Gangland (actually like the song but it is on a very strong album)

Piece of Mind      Quest for Fire

PowerSlave          Back in the Village  ( again,actually like the song but it is on a very strong album)

SomeWhere in Time  Deja Vu

Seventh Son        Seventh Son of a Seventh Son    Way too long and the chorus is a bit boring

No Prayer for the Dying    Public Enema Number One

Fear of the Dark    Chains of Misery

X Factor          The Aftermath

Virtual XI          What else?    Angel and the Gambler

Brave New World    The Thin Line Between Love and Hate        I did not like Bruce's vocals on the verse

Dance of Death      Dance of Death

A Matter of Life and Death    The Pilgrim

Iron Maiden - Phantom of the Opera
Killers - Drifter
The Number of the Beast - The Prisoner
Piece of Mind - Quest for Fire
Powerslave - The Duellists
Somewhere in Time - Alexander the Great
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - The Prophecy
No Prayer for the Dying - The Assassin
Fear of the Dark - Fear is the Key
The X-Factor - The Unbeliever
Virtual XI - Don't Look in The Eyes of the Stranger
Brave New World - The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dance of Death - Gates of Tomorrow
A Matter of Life and Death - The Pilgrim

Iron Maiden - Sanctuary
Killers - (can't decide)
The Number Of The Beast - Gangland
Piece Of Mind - Quest for Fire
Somewhere In Time - Stranger in a Strange Land
7th Son Of A 7th Son - Can I Play With Madness
No Prayer For The Dying - Assassin
Fear Of The Dark - Fugitive
Brave New World - Blood Brothers *ducks*
Dance Of Death - Wildest Dreams
A Matter Of Life And Death - Brighter than a Thousand Suns (its a love/hate relationship)

Kuroda said:
Iron Maiden - Sanctuary
Killers - (can't decide)
The Number Of The Beast - Gangland
Piece Of Mind - Quest for Fire
Somewhere In Time - Stranger in a Strange Land
7th Son Of A 7th Son - Can I Play With Madness
No Prayer For The Dying - Assassin
Fear Of The Dark - Fugitive
Brave New World - Blood Brothers *ducks*
Dance Of Death - Wildest Dreams
A Matter Of Life And Death - Brighter than a Thousand Suns (its a love/hate relationship)

I think you skipped some.

my 28 cents:

Iron Maiden - Strange World
Killers - Another Life
Number Of the Beast - Run To The Hills
Piece Of Mind - really none (not even Quest for Fire, i think it is a great instrumental section)
Powerslave - really none (Back To The Village has one of the best guitarwork and losfer word is a great composition)
Somewhere In Time - Alexander The Great ad Sea Of Madness
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Can I Play with Madness
No Prayer For The Dying - Any song after Running Silent Running Deep can fit in here
Fear Of The Dark - Wasting Love and whole second half except FOTD.
X-Factor - Judgement of Heaven
Virtual XI - oh my... Let's just pick a random song and pass this album.
Brave New World - The Mercenary of course! A generic song that ruins a perfect album. Dream Of Mirrors is close second with endless repetitions.
Dance Of Death - Whole second half (Yes, even Paschandale) and probably a couple of more songs (album opener + no more lies)
AMOLAD - Any repetitive song. Brighter than the Thousand Suns being the first.

Back