Votes: 7 10.0%
  • When The Wild Wind Blows

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Empire Of The Clouds

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Hell On Earth

Votes: 34 48.6%

• Total voters
Seems I'm in the majority going with Rime, Hallowed and Hell on Earth (in that order). The high quality of the songs to choose from here though is staggering, so many of these are top-tier, especially from the later-era.

Reactions: Jer
Empire of the Clouds
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
#3 was a tossup between Hallowed and The Legacy, then I saw Only the Good Die Young. :)

The Legacy is very good and doesn't get enough love. It wasn't in my top 3, but that's because so many closers are amazing.

Also, pretty sure if the songs Sign of the Cross, Phantom, or Seventh Son were ending songs, they'd also be highly rated on this list.

Here's my top 5:

#5 - The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
#4 - Hell On Earth
#3 - To Tame A Land
#2 - When The Wild Wind Blows

... and at #1 by far (and that speaks volumes since all the previous songs are stunning): Rime Of The Ancient Mariner.

Curiously enough there's not a single album closer I consider to be a bad song.

Last edited:
Same with The Angel and Gambler, Death of the Celts and such if they were ending songs instead of never-ending.
Angel probably, but Celts doesn’t seem at all repetitive. It’s gotta nice ebb and flow to it.

Speaking of last tracks on an album, the one son to think of the least is “Only The Good Die Young.” It’s a great song and I love listening to it. But when it’s over I just kinda forget it’s there.

Angel probably, but Celts doesn’t seem at all repetitive. It’s gotta nice ebb and flow to it.

Celts isn't that repetitive, but I personally don't quite feel it flows that well. Then again, it's been a while since I listened Senjutsu, so I might very well warm to Celts now when I have somewhat fresh angle to it..! :)

Speaking of last tracks on an album, the one son to think of the least is “Only The Good Die Young.” It’s a great song and I love listening to it. But when it’s over I just kinda forget it’s there.
I love the verses to Celts, but the instrumental section seems like it was written by an AI bot to me

I love the verses to Celts, but the instrumental section seems like it was written by an AI bot to me
I don't feel the same about this song, but I can perfectly understand you. This is exactly how I feel when I listen to recent Priest and Dream Theater stuff.

This is actually incredibly accurate to my experience listening to it. The drumming sounds cut and paced too.

But it’s still a great piece within a fantastic song and I can’t be overly critical about it. I think that the instrumental will come to life live even better.

The way I approached this was not to think about which are the best songs but what songs round up the album well.

1. Only the Good Die Young. This song has great energy, catchy hooks and a delicious outro. From a concept perspective, it just works.
2. Hell on Earth. It carries on the dark theme of the album but with optimistic melodies and harmonies. One of their best choruses ever.
3. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate. Heavy, soaring and reflective. It combines everything that is great about Maiden. When I first heard this when BNW came out, it sounded like a band that had poured everything and all their emotions into one song. A perfect end to the reunion album.

May I point out that the poll indicates that there are at least 26 people who don't think that Hallowed is one of the best three album closers? :huh:
I'm one of them. While Hallowed is an absolute monster of a classic, I feel the band exceeded that on later releases. But if we had, say, a "top 17 best album closers" instead of just three, I'd absolutely have had Hallowed on that list.

Back