Your favourite quotes

"If you don't like the effects, don't produce the causes." - Some Parliament/Funkadelic song, can't recall which one.

"Shit! Goddamn! Get off your ass and jam!" - Some Prince song, can't recall again, but I'm pretty sure it's on Sign O The Times.

Funk artists have the best lyrics. Ever.

"Bureaucracy expands to meet the needs of the expanding bureucracy."

In order not to include more than a couple dozen of Benjamin Franklin quotes, I'll just highlight this one:
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

"Always recognize that human individuals are ends, and do not use them as means to your end."

"If you hold your hard drive like a sandwich, and are trying to put it in your mouth, about how big would it be?"  (paraphrase)

Since its Thanksgiving here in the States tomorrow:

"As god as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" -- Art Carlson, WKRP

A certain doctor at the Princeton-Plainsboro hospital came up with a good one yesterday:

"Religion is not the opium of the masses. It is the placebo of the masses".

Dawkins has loads of great quotes:
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.
I don't even know what two of these words mean...  :D

And this, referring to evolution being called "just a theory" and mentioning that gravity is also a theory
Gravity is not a version of the truth. It is the truth. Anyone who doubts it is invited to jump out a tenth story window.

And a bit more serious:
We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively outnumbers the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?

"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets, and in all the universe three million million galaxies like this, and in all of that, and perhaps more, only one of each of us.  Don't destroy the one named Kirk."

"Balance of Terror"...  I'm sure you remember that one; where the Romulans attacked, and the Enterprise chased them down, destroying them.  The guy that played the Romulan leader also played Spock's dad IIRC.

Invader said:
We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively outnumbers the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?

Easily one of the most interesting quotes I have ever heard. :ok:

Yeah, that was a classic among classics!!  One of the more serious epi's among a load of campy ones.  IIRC, that one dealt with the death of one officer's fiance... Tragedy that (IMO) was rarely seen in TOS.  Obviously, there were many red-shirt deaths (ha, even in the new film!), but you didn't 'get to know' most of the red-shirts.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from the legendary Bender Bending Rodriguez:

"I'm so miserable... I wish everybody else was dead"

Fry: "This world wasn't good enough for you"
Bender: "Not even close..."

"My life, and by extension everyone else's, is meaningless."

(After getting kicked out of a theme park) "I'm gonna go build my own theme park with blackjack, and hookers! In fact, forget the park."

"Congratulations Fry, you've snagged the perfect girlfriend; Amy's rich, she's probably got other characteristics..."

"I hate the people who love me and they hate me."

"And what was all that shit about Vietnam? What the FUCK, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the fuck are you talking about? "

"You know what they call a quarter pounder in france? Royale with cheese."

2 awesome lines from 2 of the most awesome films ever.

Back